ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

track tyres

1.8 Corsa Golf pd180
Iv just ordered a set of toyo T1R's for the clio, but i dont know wether to buy two new budget tyres for the front for bedford track?

Will they be up to the job on the track?

Whats different about the clio cup? is the chassis different?

Swift Sport
What kind of budgets are we talking about here? Don't get cheap budgets for the track dude, they won't grip and will wear really quickly.

You don't really want to be on budget tyres on track, they're cheap for a reason.

If you want to get into track days more, and want to save your road tyres, get a set of track tyres, that you only use for track. They may cost a bit, but will last ages.

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Toyo T1R's are fairly cheap for the Clio, around £50 IIRC, just get some more of those.

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
If you want to do it cheap, get a set of 15s, and run a set of Yoko parada spec 2s for the fist couple of times.
They are very cheap they are not the best tyre but are good enough then go for a set of 888 or similar.

15s are the Key to keeping costs lower though. (if you dont have a 197/200)

The TOYO's will last 5 minutes on track... and not much longer on the road tbh.

If the car is setup incorrectly and the person has no idea how to setup tyre pressures - yes.

Otherwise they are fine on track, quite a few of us used them over 4-5 trackdays (Oulton, Brands, Cadwell x 2) and still had life left in them - and thats driving them HARD.

They are a budget tyre yeah, but nothing wrong with them if your car is setup correctly. They last longer than RS2's, Paradas and Eagle F1's - all of which ive used too.

The next level up is obviously R888s or A048s, but at the end of the day its down to how many trackdays you do a year and what your budget is...

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I'd get Hankook V12 Evo's. Similar price to the Toyo's, grippier in all condition and they last longer.

c6mby

ClioSport Club Member
I'd get Hankook V12 Evo's. Similar price to the Toyo's, grippier in all condition and they last longer.

good tyres in the dry but shocking in the wet

i run t1rs as everyday tyres, they do wear quickly but have more than enough grip for everyday driving, on track id go for r888 or kuhmo v70a's

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
good tyres in the dry but shocking in the wet

i run t1rs as everyday tyres, they do wear quickly but have more than enough grip for everyday driving, on track id go for r888 or kuhmo v70a's
If you find the v12 poor in the wet, you're probably running the wrong pressures (should be slightly lower than renault recommends).

220 Trophy
The TOYO's will last 5 minutes on track... and not much longer on the road tbh.

I’ve been running 888’s on my 200 for 1,000 miles now, including two hard track-days at Brands, I would say they’re approx. half-worn.

A friend had an R26R with the 888’s as standard; he didn’t do any track-days on them and sold the car with 4,500 miles on the clock and tread left on the tyres.

So its not all doom and gloom, either go for the 888’s and expect to wear them out in say 2,000 miles including a handful of track-days - or go for the R1-R’s and get better road wear but less grip on the track.

The T1-R’s are wet-weather orientated tyres, if you are considering track-days then it’s the 888’s or the more road friendly R1-R’s.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I’ve been running 888’s on my 200 for 1,000 miles now, including two hard track-days at Brands, I would say they’re approx. half-worn.

A friend had an R26R with the 888’s as standard; he didn’t do any track-days on them and sold the car with 4,500 miles on the clock and tread left on the tyres.

So its not all doom and gloom, either go for the 888’s and expect to wear them out in say 2,000 miles including a handful of track-days - or go for the R1-R’s and get better road wear but less grip on the track.

The T1-R’s are wet-weather orientated tyres, if you are considering track-days then it’s the 888’s or the more road friendly R1-R’s.
I think he was referring to the T1R's fella.

220 Trophy
I realised that, I was pointing out that the T1Rs are primarily wet tyres, but for the track R1-R's would be better. And also that they wont wear out THAT quickly as my 888's are still holding up ok after 1,000 miles with track use.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
I used some budgets on a couple of trackdays.. basically the came on the wheels and didn't get time to change them.. (nexan's iirc)

After a whole day of Castle combe they didn't seem to of even worn down! Granted after about 3 laps they just totally went off and had to let them cool down every about 10laps..

Have since got some 888's btw so you might get my opinion from that

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
I've got some part worn a048's on my spare set of wheels. Can't wait to try them on track. General opinion is that they are equal to if not better than 888s but don't last as long. FYI i paid £60 for 4 tyres that should last at least 3 track days.

Black Clio GT
for the fun factor and sheer comedy i would get some right crap for and airfeild day but if it was a decent track and you want to get into it seriously then what youve picked will be fine to start with but as foxy said make sure the suspension is set up and tyre pressure correct for the conditions/temp, no point getting expensive semi slicks if you havnt learnt the limits of your car yet.....

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I don't bother with r888's any more. They are epic in terms of grip etc, but that doesn't (imo) make the day more fun. What it will do is wear bearings etc a lot quicker.
I prefer the rs2. They last a lot longer, but have a stiffer sidewall than a normal road tyre.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
If you find the v12 poor in the wet, you're probably running the wrong pressures (should be slightly lower than renault recommends).

Just got these for the missus' corsa, bit overkill for a 1.2 but better than the 4 odd budgets that were on!

You reckon I should drop the pressures on these?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Daz. said:
Just got these for the missus' corsa, bit overkill for a 1.2 but better than the 4 odd budgets that were on!

You reckon I should drop the pressures on these?
I run them approx 5% lower than the standard Renault pressures (2.3/2.1 bar iirc), so I run 2 bar all round.