ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trackday changes....

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
There are 2 heavy braking points at knockhill that you will be slamming on the brakes and the last thing you want in either of these areas of the track is fade or the fear that it could happen. Standard pads are the first thing I would change on the car.

When I go to a track day I want to make the most of my time out on track not braking early to save my pads.

I'm not an early breaker and it's perfectly fine. In fact I'm one of the very last breakers for Paddock Hill at Brands. The Mk3 RS has excellent standard pads which is very hard to overcome their limits.

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
This, you may be surprised at how good the car is as standard.

Learn to drive with what you have first.

MY 197 used to eat Donington GP circuit & this is renowned as a brake killer.

If you run out of brakes you are on them too much ;)

Exactly Steve. Brake and turn........ Wait for the back end to come round then throttle. lol

I stick by that you should adapt your driving to the car and not the other way round.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Exactly Steve. Brake and turn........ Wait for the back end to come round then throttle. lol

I stick by that you should adapt your driving to the car and not the other way round.

Last time we were at Donington together I was trying to drift round the outside of you round Coppice.
Think you outdrag me down the straights but I have you in the twisties ;)

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
I get violent understeer on entry to Coppice. Maybe not violent but just enough. lol

I'm sure you can have me in the twisites but my excuse is standard supension and tyres. ;)

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
I get violent understeer on entry to Coppice. Maybe not violent but just enough. lol

I'm sure you can have me in the twisites but my excuse is standard supension and tyres. ;)

I am running pe2's & standard dampers;)
You won't catch me if I get a Meister kit :quiet:
Seen your advert on Nutz, welcome to the Rwd;)

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
OP: There is no need to change anything on your 197 for a trackday unless someone put budget pads and tyres on. Try it on track then change what you need changing but you won't be going any faster until you have reached the limits of the old bits.

The only thing I would change is the tyres, if you use your brakes properly then they don't provide enough retardation.

Steve: I thought you are selling? If I can sell the 200 for a resonable price than a Mk1 or Mk3 is on the list. Don't forget I was in the RWD club. ;)

172 cup, Impreza P1
OP: There is no need to change anything on your 197 for a trackday unless someone put budget pads and tyres on. Try it on track then change what you need changing but you won't be going any faster until you have reached the limits of the old bits.

The only thing I would change is the tyres, if you use your brakes properly then they don't provide enough retardation.

Steve: I thought you are selling? If I can sell the 200 for a resonable price than a Mk1 or Mk3 is on the list. Don't forget I was in the RWD club. ;)

I hear you and agree with you to degree about making changes to the car when required but I know knockhill and got 2 tuition sessions in a Clio 197 at the Renaultsport track day there last May and in both 10 lap session the brakes were fading by the last few laps. This was me following the instructors braking points!

The problem with knockhill is there are 2 heavy braking points on a 1.3 mile track so there is not enough time to cool the brakes and so good pads and fluid are required, trust me.

It's up to the OP who he listens to but I have driven hundreds of laps of knockhill (20 in the car he will be using) and so know it very well.

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
Fair enough as you have first hand experience at Knockhill. I never had brake fade even braking for bus stop at Spa.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I hear you and agree with you to degree about making changes to the car when required but I know knockhill and got 2 tuition sessions in a Clio 197 at the Renaultsport track day there last May and in both 10 lap session the brakes were fading by the last few laps. This was me following the instructors braking points!

The problem with knockhill is there are 2 heavy braking points on a 1.3 mile track so there is not enough time to cool the brakes and so good pads and fluid are required, trust me.

It's up to the OP who he listens to but I have driven hundreds of laps of knockhill (20 in the car he will be using) and so know it very well.

This is true of just about any circuit...drive it like you're going for the lap record and almost any brakes will reach a limit.

For a first trackday though...driving like that should be the last thing on the mind of a noob driver.

Even if you are chasing lap times, there's relatively little to be had by being later on the brakes versus finding the line and getting your exits sorted out first.

To the OP; leave it standard, have a run, then decide...you could save yourself a few £s.

H

HickiN

cheers for the advice gents (&Ladies??)

I think after a read of the forums.... I will keep the car standard as it is for my first time.... then look at changing things where i see fit...

They have instructors on the track at SIDC days so i will take advantage of this.... maybe he will recommend a change or too? (Hopefully anyway)

but like you say.... I won't be breaking any track records....i will just be there for fun and the experience..... i am sure i will enjoy it and then come back to more and more track days!!

I am led to believe the SIDC days are full of a lot of lotus people.... few people i do know are taking a lotus! I'm sure they can offer sound advice on the day too :)

I'll just have to drive ''sensibly'' and not crash the thing!

Oh on a side note... was looking to insure for the track (you never know!!) and came across Morris @ £75 for the day.... seem reasonable? 23, male, driving since i was 17... didn't seem too bad for me... or are there any other companies that are good? (CCI won't insure me)

hickiN

Clio 172 Cup
Might be down with my 172 (if its fixed) would love to see how yours gets on. Hope to see you there

H

HickiN

I don't remember off the top of my head.... but i think it may have been either 1.5k or 3k.... i'll dig my quote out when i get back to my work computer and let you know.... www.moris.co.uk

hickiN