ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trackday tow car

Ph2 172
What are you lot using? I need something that's not a chore to use every day which kind of rules out a transit or similar.

£3k max budget has got me looking at S60/V70 D5s, any reviews on those?

All other suggestions welcome.

Track 172 Cup
Audi A6 Allroad not the prettiest thing on 4 wheels lol but has a good engine and also quattro, I have seen some cheap (high milers) or reasonable prices on decent one's without spaceship mileage, I was looking at them as a run about and tow car they can tow a fair bit the 2.7 turbo petrol (2300kg towing) OR the 2.5 diesel (2100kg) being the easier ones to come by not seen many of the 4.2 V8's (also 2100kg towing capacity)

I tow the clio on a 300kg single axle trailer behind a VW bora. Not the most accomplished tow car, but gets the job done with no drama. I'd happily tow with any of the VAG PD engined stuff tbh. An old A4 estate would be ideal.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
The tow vehicle I want to get is a Discovery. Easily capable of towing, comfortable and can use it daily. Used to have one that towed a Fiesta track car years ago and it did that with ease.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Audi A6 Allroad not the prettiest thing on 4 wheels lol but has a good engine and also quattro, I have seen some cheap (high milers) or reasonable prices on decent one's without spaceship mileage, I was looking at them as a run about and tow car they can tow a fair bit the 2.7 turbo petrol (2300kg towing) OR the 2.5 diesel (2100kg) being the easier ones to come by not seen many of the 4.2 V8's (also 2100kg towing capacity)
Providing the multi-tronic gearbox or the air suspension doesn't s**t itself...

Clio 172 Merc ML55
I use an ML, yes it's petrol and it's mpg is poor to say the least but it has a huge tow weight that's just over 3600kg (providing you have the right license otherwise there's issues there I believe, but that's another story) and use it daily too

Clio 172 ph1, mk7 r
I used our tiguan and it struggled like buggery. my bro had an old 3.0 audi a6 avant and that was great for towing

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
I've used a 2008 vectra cdti 150 for the last 2 years and it tows brilliantly. People who have travelled with me have commented how well it tows

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
How much of a nightmare is the air suspension Dan?

I'd be after a manual anyway (if they make them, I'm yet to search)
Spooky, I've just been chatting to my mate (Audi technician) who says there are more cars with standard suspension than cars with the optional air suspension. (I never knew that, I thought they all had air because I've seen so many sat on their ass when it failed.)

He also said he'd never ever own a multitronic Audi! Lol

It came up in conversation when I asked him about A6's as I need something a bit bigger than my Honda.

windle

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 9 Gt, 182 Toy
I used to use an E46 320D which was up to the job, but now have an E92 335D which has more than enough!

15MAS

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 & 911 turbo
The discovery is a good budget tow car, can handle 3500 kg so a Clio is easy. It's huge boot can carry spare wheels, tools, even sleep in it. Plenty around, cheap and easy to work on. I have a 95 manual 3.9v8 one, decat exhaust sounds like a TVR!! I however tow mine with a 4.4 TDV8 Range Rover, 750nm torque, effortless tow car.
image.jpeg

Disco 5 ,Monaro VXR
Best tow car by far will be discovery or RR but they are expensive. I pulled a trailer with another discovery on the back yesterday with no drama. But probably best to get a manual if towing regularly. Or maybe look at an older pickup?

Track 172 Cup
We use my dad's Reanult Trafic crew cab van and I was suprised at the weight these can tow only 2000kg on a braked trailer, even though the Clio is fine on the trailer as combined weight is about 1700kg (thats without tyres on my tyre rack) I did take it work and put it on the weighbridge with all the stuff in the back of the van and a loaded tyre rack but had my focus tdci on the trailer just for a test and I think it was 4330kg with us both sat in the van and van had full tank of fuel focus had half.. The trailer I have can carry 3000kg which I can't see it going anywhere near that anyway with the van not being able to tow that much, until we decide what to replace the Trafic with

My Trafic van pulls the trailer and Clio very well.

Loads of room to get tools, wheels, fuel, marque in the back, rather than stuffed in the car

Track 172 Cup
Same trailer by the looks of it as us but we have the crew cab trafic which pulls well and like said even with the crew has plenty of room, just if I ever wanted to tow anything heavy probably couldn't with the trafic.

Attachments

• 20160121_112027.jpg
    20160121_112027.jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 101
You're gonna get a shite German barge for £3k and a potential money pit. The Volvo V70 is a brilliant tow car for light tow work like a Clio and car transporter, MPG is poor though and you'll struggle to get 30mpg whilst towing, <40 without. If I was you I'd go for a EU3 manual. I have a Mondeo ST 155 for towing and its fine for light work and would pull the Clio and car transporter no worries, anything heavier it would probably struggle though as its braked towing weight is only 1800kg. For comparison the V70 D5 and 330D touring also have a 1800kg braked towing weight.

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
I tow the clio on a 300kg single axle trailer behind a VW bora. Not the most accomplished tow car, but gets the job done with no drama. I'd happily tow with any of the VAG PD engined stuff tbh. An old A4 estate would be ideal.
You must be right on cusp of weight limit though - unless you don't take any spares or passengers.

Ph2 172
You're gonna get a shite German barge for £3k and a potential money pit. The Volvo V70 is a brilliant tow car for light tow work like a Clio and car transporter, MPG is poor though and you'll struggle to get 30mpg whilst towing, <40 without. If I was you I'd go for a EU3 manual. I have a Mondeo ST 155 for towing and its fine for light work and would pull the Clio and car transporter no worries, anything heavier it would probably struggle though as its braked towing weight is only 1800kg. For comparison the V70 D5 and 330D touring also have a 1800kg braked towing weight.

Exactly what I ended up with. 163 manual in a facelift body.

Tows great

@loggyboy Yeah I am, category B license, stripped clio which is just under 1000kg, trailer is 1000kg payload, 1300 gross, car is 1330 unladen, manufacturers towing capacity of 1400, GVW of 1850kg (which allows for ~400kg in the car which is me, my partner, a spare set of wheels and a jack and a toolbox and some fuel).
So yes, the clio is on the limit for the trailer, the trailer is on the limit for the unladen weight requirement of B license and close on the manufacturers towing limit and with trackday spares I'm getting close to the GVW as well but its all on the right side.

My point is people get their knickers in a twist about towing and if forum advice were heeded everyone needs a rangerover and a twin axle trailer to move a clio. Now sure, if youre competing every weekend all summer all over the country then I'd be going for that too, but for most folk, doing 4 or five trackdays a year within a couple of hours of home, you don't need to go nuts and virtually any decent sized car will get the job done fine if you load the trailer correctly and dont take the piss with your driving.

For me, the bora is my daily and using it for the 4-5 trips to knockhill saves me owning, servicing, Mot, tax and insurance on an additional vehicle I'd otherwise not use. I'm not suggesting its the ideal choice, but it gets the job done adequately for the purpose.

Exactly what I ended up with. 163 manual in a facelift body.

Tows great
Perfect choice, I was looking for a S60 D5 in the same spec with tow bar before I rushed into buying the Mondeo, test drove 3 D5's and they all had issues so bought the Ford instead. Now contemplating trading it in as I miss my old S60 D5 so much....mostly miss the seats TBH.

Track 172 Cup
Are those BJ clubman trailers, what size works well for the Clio?

Mines a A-Max and have plenty of room with the clio, We only bought a bigger trailer as If we change car in the future or have to move a bigger car we could.. I would'nt have a problem buying a small single axle trailer for a clio (or similar sized car) as long as the weights are legal and I had a big enough car/van to put spares in. BUT the twin axle tows better and feels more stable than a single axle imo and I wouldnt like to have a blow out on a single axle (nor on a twin axle but just saying)... and weights don't really matter that much as me and my dad both have class one licenses so only the tow car holding us back.

I also like our trailer as the sides are low and I can open the door and get in and out of the car easily when loading/unloading and on the few trailers i have borrowed either had to lower mud guards (only 2 min job) or I have climbed in the window or let the hand brake off to roll car back enough to get in but now i just open door and sit in lol

Below would be ideal and nice and small, I would have liked one with a folding A frame for storage/security also but couldn't find one when I we were looking.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brian-Jam...id=100005&rk=3&rkt=6&mehot=pp&sd=231892437288

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brian-Jam...437288?hash=item35fdddc928:g:KjUAAOSwwpdW99R~

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brian-James-Clubman-Car-Trailer/191837935131?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=35391&meid=2e17b1ce4854432a98e7b15a7e572e7f&pid=100005&rk=5&rkt=6&sd=231892437288

Last edited:
  Clio 172 (CUP)
Mines a A-Max and have plenty of room with the clio, We only bought a bigger trailer as If we change car in the future or have to move a bigger car we could.. I would'nt have a problem buying a small single axle trailer for a clio (or similar sized car) as long as the weights are legal and I had a big enough car/van to put spares in. BUT the twin axle tows better and feels more stable than a single axle imo and I wouldnt like to have a blow out on a single axle (nor on a twin axle but just saying)... and weights don't really matter that much as me and my dad both have class one licenses so only the tow car holding us back.

I also like our trailer as the sides are low and I can open the door and get in and out of the car easily when loading/unloading and on the few trailers i have borrowed either had to lower mud guards (only 2 min job) or I have climbed in the window or let the hand brake off to roll car back enough to get in but now i just open door and sit in lol

Below would be ideal and nice and small, I would have liked one with a folding A frame for storage/security also but couldn't find one when I we were looking.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brian-Jam...id=100005&rk=3&rkt=6&mehot=pp&sd=231892437288

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brian-Jam...437288?hash=item35fdddc928:g:KjUAAOSwwpdW99R~

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brian-James-Clubman-Car-Trailer/191837935131?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=35391&meid=2e17b1ce4854432a98e7b15a7e572e7f&pid=100005&rk=5&rkt=6&sd=231892437288

Appreciate that thanks, didn't think the smaller BJ minno would cut it, but I'll give it a look now. Surprised how well trailers seem to hold their prices.

As Daniel said, had a v70 D5, and it was utter shite for towing. Even with a light with clio and trailer. Sold it and bought an e46 330D, remapped it and it'll tow at 70+ without breaking a sweat. Ideally I want a 530D touring, but that's only because of family/dog etc.

Track 172 Cup
@eon172 The minnow would probably be the one you would risk being over weight with but on a stripped out track car I cant see a problem with it, think the Minnow-Max would be your better choice and yes they do tend to hold money that was also another reason we went for the larger A-max as it hopefully would appeal to all different users/cars.