ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tracking issues due to lowered suspension? (Clio 172)

Clio 172
Hey, first post. :)

I recently picked up a 02 Clio 172. I had it checked over before and after purchase just to make sure everything was fine with it. Everything *was*. However....5 weeks after buying it I am finding myself with tracking issues. Although the car drives perfectly, the steering wheel is off centre. I am also noticing a rubber against plastic rubbing/sqeaking sound when I turn full lock to the left/right.

I took it through to the local Renault dealer in the hope of getting it sorted and was advised that the cause of it was due to the car being lowered by the previous owner (not me!). The mechanic refused to correct the tracking issues on the grounds that the car had been modified with after-market parts. He did, however, recommend that I spend £600 getting the vehicle back to it's original state using Renault parts.(new springs etc).

I dont really want to have to spend that kind of money on having the car returned to how it was, unless it is my only course of action. Besides, I prefer the look of it lowered.
The car is perfectly safe (and enjoyable) to drive, however I am worried about any long term effects that may arise from me keeping the vehicle in this state. Is my worry justified? I did try and ask the guy at the garage but he was reluctant to say.
Would it be feasible for me to approach a non-Renault garage and simply ask for the tracking to be corrected? I got the feeling from Renault that they really didn't want anything to do with a "b*****dized" example of their vehicle.....

Hope that makes sense. Any advice would be welcome.
S.:)

Would it be feasible for me to approach a non-Renault garage and simply ask for the tracking to be corrected? I got the feeling from Renault that they really didn't want anything to do with a "b*****dized" example of their vehicle.....

yeah just take it to kwik fit or somewhere, or call around local garages for quotes on tracking. i think when i got mine done it was about £20

Not a 320d
Camber setups are usually about £80 and just toe is about £40 (or less!)

Make sure, MAKE SURE, you ask the garage to clamp the steering wheel in place when they release the track rod end. I had my toe done a while ago after fitting coilovers and the garage didnt clamp it (Because i didnt know) and it ended up being off centre still and has been for over a year now. Ive finally pulled my finger out and ordered camber bolts and will be having it setup in about 2 weeks time. I will be taking it back repeatedly until its perfect.