ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Transferring large amounts of data - Crossover cable?

Ian

Focus TDCi
Hey,

I have a laptop with a harddrive that is almost full, one of the drawbacks of taking photos in the RAW format I suppose, and I would like to transfer my entire photo archive on to my PC.

My PC is running Windows XP Home Edition 2002 SP2 and my Laptop is running Windows Vista Home Premium SP1. I have a crossover cable and wish to connect the two; but for the life of me I can't figure out how - I've connected them with the cable, but don't know how to set up the actual network. I hate networks. :dapprove:

Where do I start with something like this? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ian

Better than yours. C*nt.
Give them both static IP addresses on the same subnet. Turn any wireless and other networks off, and plug the cable in. Give them a manual IP address of 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. From one machine, browse to the other (\\192.168.0.1\c$ or whatever) and then drag and drop.

Ian

Focus TDCi
Cheers Mike. Sorry to be completely ignorant on this, but how would I give them the static IP address?

Audi S1
Control Panel - Netwrok connections - Right click on loca area connection (LAN) - properties - highlight Internet protocol - Properties.

In there

Done

Trophy #267
not sure c$ is viewable without admin access and via home but basically yes. bar having a portable hd or large memory card to use to transfer them, a crossover cable, each machine having an ip which is on the same subnet (ie 192.168.0.xxx) where xxx is a number and different on each machine.
then share the folder where they live (right mouse sharing) and access it on the machine you want to copy it to (it may show up on network neighbourhood other wise type \\192.168.0.xxx (whatever u put) which shoudl show your puictures)

Ian

Focus TDCi
Ok I've managed to set the static IP addresses to 192.168.0.1 for the laptop and 192.168.0.2 for the PC, but when I type \\192.168.0.1 into the PC search bar it can't find it. If I type \\192.168.0.2 it finds itself. Do I need to set up some sort of exception on each machine?

Also, on the Laptop when I right-click on my photo folder and go on the sharing tab, it asks me to select an account to share with, but I can't see the PC there. I've left it blank and clicked ok anyway, but now it seems to be hanging on the "Sharing Items.." screen.

Any thoughts?

Ian

Focus TDCi
Nevermind, found out!

View workgroup computers -> Ians-Laptop -> Users -> Ian -> ...

Thanks for the help everyone. :)