ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Transitional insurance

Passat
A bit of advice needed please.

Daft question maybe...but what do most people do when buying a car from a private seller regarding insurance for driving the car away? I'm going to have two cars until I sell the Trophy and I need them both to be insured. What's the best way around this?

Thanks in advance.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Add it to your current policy, if they won't do it, I'd get a new insurer all together. It cost me about £22 to have my z4 and my e46 insured for a month together.

Passat
Add it to your current policy, if they won't do it, I'd get a new insurer all together. It cost me about £22 to have my z4 and my e46 insured for a month together.

I'm with Greenlight and as my new car is just a boring Passat they wont insure it. So what do I do...cancel the Greenlight policy and go for a new company that will cover both cars? I don't know how it works with my NCD either. Am I making hard work of this...or is it a needlessly large pain in the arse?

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Can't you just insure the new car straight away? Or use TempCover for a day to get the car home and then get it sorted?

I did this sort of thing when I bought my 182, but needed my old 1.2 insured to sell it; I just asked the new insurer for the 182 if they could also insure the 1.2 too, temporarily for a month - they said it's not something they'd normally do, they normally only continue to insure the old car if it was with them already, but they said they'd do it for me this time - so might be worth asking.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Temporary cover for a month is over £300.

What a load of b****cks!
Sorry... thought I'd suggest it as I was under the impression you only needed a day or so to 'drive away'... which is usually 50-60 quid. I didn't know from your post that you would be requiring it for a month or more. I wouldn't have suggested otherwise. I've been using tempcover for the last 7 months at 100 per week. 300 quid doesn't seem so bad. :p

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Lots of my customers use dayinsure.

About 60 quid but at least you get the car home fully comp.