ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Treating wishbones before fitting?

Clio182
I'm going to be fitting lovely new wishbones to my 182 very soon. And here's the question: would you treat them with a rust proofing first? I'm thinking Hammerite spray seal.

Suggestions/warnings/recommendations are all welcome!

Clio182
Dinitrol clear wax. its more permanent than ACF-50 and cures to a semi hard satin finish.

But anything is better than nothing.
Sounds like Dinitrol might be the best way forward. Can I ask a couple of questions about application?

1. How many 500ml aerosols to treat my Clio?
2. Would you use aerosol or paint on?

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Well, let me start by saying that there are certainly alternatives! Everyone has their brand of choice. Mine so far (currently) is dinitrol because the range is better than waxoyl and their products are fairly easy to source.

I normally buy from eBay or here:

I wouldn't use the same stuff for the whole car, I would pick different products from their range to suit each area.

For simple coating of new parts I have used 4010 which is a high temp clear, it cures within an hour to a semi hard, satin finish. I have used this on new springs, shock absorbers and lower arms etc. I would not use it on old/already rusty parts because it doesn't penetrate very deeply, rather sits on the surface (fine for new smooth parts).

For that application I would spray on, two coats and call it quits.

I have also used their penetrating cavity wax (ML) in the bottoms of the rear wings, take the rear door (I know there are no doors, but you know what I mean) cards off and you can see right down to the inner sills, they sometimes rust there.

For body work I would first prepare the surface with a wirebrush in an angle grinder and brush paint with epoxy followed by a mix of stonechip and cavity wax, you will probably find the cavity in front of the rear spring pads is nice and crusty, thats a great area for cavity wax.

But like I said, there are hundreds of different products from various manufacturers. For me Dinitrol seems to be a fairly OEM choice that has done me well so far, there may be better, there are certainly worse!

also check out EM121 epoxy mastic.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
PS ACF-50 is great but not as permanent, I would use it to re-coat already protected parts each winter, or items that you don't actually want to wax coat - brake lines/servo etcetc.

This is my build thread where I've used most of the products mentioned above. Good luck, its a slippery slope into madness but when your smothered in wax and looking at non rusty car its semi worth it.