ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trip computer fuel range

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
I've been thinking about this every time it happens,
when i'm nearly out of fuel and the needle is just touching the red line but the fuel light hasn't come on yet,
the trip computer says I can do another 40 miles before i'm totally out of fuel, 40 miles is like £10 quids worth of fuel in my car,
so which is right, am I nearly out of fuel or do I have 40 miles of range left?

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Do the trip computer test and it will tell you how many litres you have left

Once the needles start moving push the trip button in and it will go through the on board system

clio 182 trophy
There is supposed to be 1.5-2 gallons left over after the light comes on. I say supposed as I don't have the balls to try and find out. Every time i fill up it is usually as soon as the light comes on. Trip comp says 45 miles and the car takes around 43l. Full tank is supposed to be 50. So by that not too far off.

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
@DaveDreads I have done about 30 miles with the fuel light on and it didn't seem to be coughing or showing any signs of an empty tank although I have a 1.2 and it would probably be 15miles before you should find you nearest petrol station.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I've managed about 60 miles in my dci with the fuel light on. Even when I filled up I still had around 3 litres left and I was getting 60mpg calculated, so had another 40 miles or so in it lol!

clio 182 trophy
That is a sh*t load of fuel to have as a reserve on such a small car,
that is pretty much bang on £10 quids worth.
Hence 'supposed'. I would go with a gallon max after the light. I think the most i did was 44 miles after the light, but that was because the first petrol station i could find at the time had run out of petrol.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
How do you start this test and what does it show?

to start the test you hold the trip button on the stalk and then at the same time while keeping the button held down you turn the ignition on and it will start beeping. When it starts beeping the needles will do a self test and they will move up and down.
Push the trip button at the side while the needles are moving and it gives you some helpful info on the car and also tells you how many litres you have in the tank.
It also gives you a small diagnostic self test , There will be four dashes ( - - - - ) and if the following shows you have an issue.
t = Injection fault detected for a min of 4 seconds
j = Fault has been noted on fuel gauge (Will show if disconnected for more than 100 seconds , Resistance needs to be between 5 & 350 Ohms)
d = Injection signal fault detected
h = Oil level sensor fault is detected (Resistance from the sensor needs to be between 6 & 20 Ohms, Anything over 20 is a open circuit, Under 3 is a short circuit)

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
So I should be good for taking the dog out Mon & Tue and a trip down the shops with the fuel light on,
i've got money coming in the bank on Wed, quite interested to do the start up test tomorrow morning.

clio 182 trophy
So I should be good for taking the dog out Mon & Tue and a trip down the shops with the fuel light on,
i've got money coming in the bank on Wed, quite interested to do the start up test tomorrow morning.
All depends on how far you want to take the dog and in what kind of traffic/roads.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
I'd say i'll be doing less than 10 miles over the next 2 days,
between the times of 10:30 & 1pm on 30 roads, so light traffic normally.

clio 182 trophy
I'd say i'll be doing less than 10 miles over the next 2 days,
between the times of 10:30 & 1pm on 30 roads, so light traffic normally.
Dave you'll be more than fine with that. Dog ok?
Does anyones petrol light turn red or stay amber throughout?

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Did the start up test today, the fuel dial is on absolute zero and doesn't move at all,
yet it told me I had 7 litres in the tank which at £1.40 a litre for super unleaded is £9.80's worth so I thought happy days,
took the dog out and went down down the shops for a few things, re-did the test when I got home and it's now flicking between 2 & 3 litres,
so I don't think it's too reliable as there's no way i've used 4 litres/£5.60's worth doing 5 miles on 30 roads,
i'd be filling up all the time if that was the case, so in short don't rely on the trip computer.

Yeah, pretty sure it's around a gallon left - so if you get 35mpg you should effectively have 35 miles range left. Wouldn't want any less tbh, what if you're not close to a petrol station :p