ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

trip computer keeps resetting

Golf R/Leon FR
everytime i start the car, the trip computer resets, the mileage figures go back to 0. its really annoying as i like to see my mileage figures etc!!!

any ideas as to why its doing it?

Golf R/Leon FR
ive only just noticed mine doing it, seems to do it all the time but it has been really cold recently

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
if its only doing it when its cold it could be 2 things:

1. you have a crap battery - get a new one lol
2. the temp at which the memory chips will work to isnt that low, so say if its -5 outside, then the chip might be reset. i used to have an mp3 player that wouldnt work below -2 for example. the chips only work within certain temp levels...

Golf R/Leon FR
Martin_89 said:
was a thread about it a month or 2 ago, renault will fit new dials under warranty but will reset your millage back to 0

its not under warrenty anymore and renault being renault it will be expensive to change them!!!

the fatty - battery is only 3 months old

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
^^^ yeah was only jokin bout battery, if it was battery you wouldnt be able to start your car in the morning.

@ martin, i cant see what difference changing the dials would make?! its a LCD display that works off a computer. i dont think garf's talking about the total millage display (the machanical counter)?!

mine does it, they all do it.

its only the trip computer functions that reset... not total mileage.

cant wait for the summer! :)

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
My 172 was doing this too in december buy i changed my battery and have not had problem again, its cured mineso far !. All volt readings on old battery were fine and it started car ok it was only doin it when cold.See trip computer thread by jimmer . I was also told by renault only cure was dash clock swap but someone on here had it done and that dont cure it !!not saying all dash out and buy a new battery but mines ok now.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
if Renault change your dialset you will lose your mileage. Mileage stays with the dialset, so if your given a new dialset, your mileage will be 0. Just had to pay £130 to have a company adjust the mileage on my car following a change of dialset.

Clio 172 Cup, Audi A
pissin ell, mines doing it now, when i turn the ignition, a short (1 sec) ticking noise then all reset to 0, apart from the mileage

Tom

172 Mk2 Ph1
I've had mine for 1 month and it's been really hot and it's only held it's memory once!!! What fuse was blown OMS? I'd like to change mine and see if it will hold it's memory... french electronics indeed...

I just had a new dash clock etc thing put in mine the other week, so far, its working, mine was always resetting itself in the winter, come summer, it usually always worked fine, by the way, this was done under warranty. mine always ticked for a second or two like tom cups did. They do come with 0 miles on the clock too, which i cant understand why they cant input your original milage back in.

brought a 172 in october, trip computer was fine until the cold weather when it kept resetting itself. Even though the car started fine, i changed the battery anyway. Result the trip computer work fine.

172 Mk2 Ph1
Mine resets all the time I.e. right through the summer, held it a couple of times, dont particularly want to change the battery just to solve it though. Has anyone found a resolve since this thread was last live??

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
alexst said:
Mine resets all the time I.e. right through the summer, held it a couple of times, dont particularly want to change the battery just to solve it though. Has anyone found a resolve since this thread was last live??

Its your car battery mate , only way to cure it, mine did it last year constantly, changed car battery and it aint done it since!! you wont think its your battery as car will start fine and battery readings will all be normal but when you swop the battery it will work fine. changing your dash clocks don't cure it as you can see from previous threads on here thats wot renault tell you to do but thats not the problem.hope this helps.:)

mine did that twice and on both occasions it was due to weak battery. both batteries lasted a year each on the dot!

172 Mk2 Ph1
HAd a new battery fitted today and it has held its memory for the first time in 7 months!!! Yey!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Mine did that for a while ... fooked battery was what it was in the end.. replaced it and has never done it again since.. remember when you start you car your drawing a lot of power from the battery to the starter motor.. if your battery isnt in good nick it can cause aa voltage shortage to the trip computer .. volitile ram = reset