ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

trip computer thing

guess, but yal be wrong
on the trip computer in my clio, i have worked out the petrol light comes on when there are 53 miles worth of petrol left in the tank. and then 4 lines appear on the screen

what i want to know is, once you drive a bit further, say 30 miles with the petrol light on, does the mileage counter on the computer display how many more miles you can do? like as a warning or something, or does the computer just work down to 53 miles if you know what i mean?

cheers scott

A short time after the light comes on, the reading goes to dashes (in mine) so I presume it's just a 'You're on your own son, find a gas station. Now.' Almost like a disclaimer if you will?

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique+
never got that..

i mean the last 40 miles or so is when u REALLY NEED to no how long u got left... thats when it would be most useful lol

Elise S1 B&C 140
never got that..

i mean the last 40 miles or so is when u REALLY NEED to no how long u got left... thats when it would be most useful lol

yeah tell me about it - i couldnt care less when i have 250 miles to go, but it would be useful if it worked properly all the way to 0 (within reason)

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR
I can see why renault have done it, one so they dont get customers stuck on the M6 calling their dealership complaining the system said they had 10 miles in the tank left but there now brokendown. Another is so that they dont encourage people to run the fuel to stupidly low levels and finally i think the readings at a certain point will become fairly inaccurate.

Cupra
I always thought that it was when you had 1 litre left in the tank... or gallon in the UK?

It calculates using those units so when you drop below, it cant work out how much further you can go.

I was in a rental Zafira once and got it down to 5km's trying to find a petrol station to fill up.... I would have rather not known!

lol, "my trip computer said I had 5 metres of petrol left, but I broke down 3 metres from the petrol station, I WANT COMPENSATION!!!!"

Pretty much the reason. Dumb people would rely on it.

Jon.L

ClioSport Club Member
  911 GT3 & Audi Q8
i wouldnt rely on bottom of tank all the s**t drops to the botom n not good for your jus fill it up!

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
The trip computer can't accurately tell how many more miles you can do, because it works on average MPG. It's telling you if you use exactly the average MPG all the time (which is practically impossible) you'll get X miles.

If your average MPG over 300 miles is 30MPG, there's nothing to say that you won't be doing an instantaneous 19MPG. So you're using fuel faster than the average figure suggests.

If it did use the exact current figure, the miles remaining would go up and down a lot depending on throttle position, engine load etc.

So it gives up rather than possibly mislead you (using the long term average MPG) or give you a constantly varying figure (using instantaneous MPG). People would go nuts if it said you had 5 miles left, put their foot down, and the figure dropped in a second to 3 miles left.

The best way, as Renault sees it on this trip computer, is to put on a light to tell you to go and fill up when it gets to a certain level of fuel, not an estimated distance the fuel can take you.