ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trip to the Zoo...

Headed down to Marwell today as the weather was so good. First non-motorsport outing for the 120-300 2.8, and I've just picked up a used Sigma 1.4tc so I had a pretty hefty 168-420mm f4 set-up (getting on for 4kg). It generated an awful lot of comments from people, which made for quite an entertaining day.

420mm is a little ambitious handheld for this sort of thing, I've decided. Fine for panning etc but very difficult holding that steady for the best part of 5hrs. Might take the monopod next time, or just drop back down to 300mm and see how that goes. For the reasons described above these are a little softer than I would have liked, but usable...

491924512_mRC7J-L.jpg

491931286_QJiyh-L.jpg

491933308_Fu9Fc-L.jpg

491922969_PKtge-L.jpg

491936771_vsQaK-L.jpg

491954152_Uu7fz-L.jpg

491942215_w8ueJ-L.jpg

491945919_JChsV-L.jpg

491956459_jQZBS-L.jpg

491960292_cb55U-L.jpg

491958034_74UbF-L.jpg

491963704_WwZkq-L.jpg

491968603_Duwdo-L.jpg

491974291_A9ZcL-L.jpg

A few more here: http://chrisharrison.smugmug.com/gallery/7607760_ajaMt

2008 Albi 197
Those pictures are fantastic! I like the tiger ones best. Have just bought the Sigma 70 - 300mm lens and intend on taking it to Colchester Zoo when I go in a couple of weeks, hopefully get some decent shots.

Ian

Focus TDCi
If that's what your 365 makes you do then I'd say it's serving its purpose! :) Great photos Chris.

Family Bus
Stunning work, beautiful photographs!

Meerkats rock, and I love the 4th pic down, so sweet!

330Ci (Fail)Sport
You sir are talented! Amazing photos.

Those pics make me want to go out and buy a DSLR and lenses tomorrow and start snapping so I can get shots that good one day!

How long have you been snapping enthusiastically if you don't mind me asking?

Oil Burner
Nice shots as always Chris, particularly like the 3rd 6th and 10th photos for their backgrounds and the reflection on 10th.

How long have you been snapping enthusiastically if you don't mind me asking?

Really been into it since about Oct '06 when I got my first DSLR, I had a bridge camera for a year or two before that, but wasn't really doing it as a hobby as such.

Nice shots as always Chris, particularly like the 3rd 6th and 10th photos for their backgrounds and the reflection on 10th.

Backgrounds aren't quite as nice with this lens (Nikon 80-200 2.8 AF-S still my favourite for that) but that may be down to having a 1.4tc attached as well. Still really like them though, had to be careful with having such a wide aperture at that focal length, focus on the nose of an animal and the eyes could be out of focus...not something I've really needed to worry about before.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Really been into it since about Oct '06 when I got my first DSLR, I had a bridge camera for a year or two before that, but wasn't really doing it as a hobby as such.

Oh right, not that long then.

Could you produce similar shots to yours above with your bridge camera? I really want to get a DSLR but with wanting so many other things atm, I'll have to do with a bridge unless I go second hand which I'm still considering.

Cupra
Wow! Another set of awesome shots.

Love the fact that the background is so blurred that the photos don't appear to have been taken in a zoo. The detail/ sharpness is also pretty amazing. Did you do much PP?

Oil Burner
Oh right, not that long then.

Could you produce similar shots to yours above with your bridge camera? I really want to get a DSLR but with wanting so many other things atm, I'll have to do with a bridge unless I go second hand which I'm still considering.

A Half decent Bridge would cost you 90% what a cheap Nikon or Canon with kit lens would cost.

But thats only the start of the cost.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
A Half decent Bridge would cost you 90% what a cheap Nikon or Canon with kit lens would cost.

But thats only the start of the cost.

That's the thing, the bride I'm looking at will be around £280 for all inc. spare battery, 16GB card, case and UV filter.

But wondering if it will be able to achieve similar quality shots as ukascew has achieved in these pics.

You'll need a sharp fast lens which isnt cheap, especially one with a bit of zoom.

You can get 50mm f1.8 which would get you similar results with the DoF which is about £80 but you'll have to be much closer but then what Chris has is about a £1k I think..

Also, I wouldnt get a 16GB card. Thats one hell of a lot of pics to lose if it corrupted. Unlikely but possible. Just get a few smaller ones. 2/4GB.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
You'll need a sharp fast lens which isnt cheap, especially one with a bit of zoom.

You can get 50mm f1.8 which would get you similar results with the DoF which is about £80 but you'll have to be much closer but then what Chris has is about a £1k I think..

Also, I wouldnt get a 16GB card. Thats one hell of a lot of pics to lose if it corrupted. Unlikely but possible. Just get a few smaller ones. 2/4GB.

:eek: I'll stick to the bridge for now then. Would need a tele lens too for Silverstone this year and other races I end up going to. Cheers for the card advice, hadn't thought of that.

Sorry to the OP for the unintentional 'jackage.

Wow! Another set of awesome shots.

Love the fact that the background is so blurred that the photos don't appear to have been taken in a zoo. The detail/ sharpness is also pretty amazing. Did you do much PP?

Sharpness isn't actually too great at full res for a lot of these, I've applied a very minor unsharp mask to some (10%) but otherwise it's just down to a bit of levels tweaking. Every shot is through a wire fence that was a good 6ft away, so that tends to wash the colours out (had some cracking shots that I just couldn't retrieve) quite severely.

But wondering if it will be able to achieve similar quality shots as ukascew has achieved in these pics.

Cheapest way of getting near that sort of quality is probably an entry level DSLR and something like a Sigma 70-300. Should be possible for under £300, especially if you're willing to go second hand. Second-hand D50 and a Sigma 70-300mm and you're well away, possible to get that combo for less than £200. Bridge camera will offer lots of flexibility but won't be as sharp/detailed.

After that it just gets silly, my lens I used for these shots has an RRP of £2,999 but I managed to find one used for £950...and the funds for that came from trading up from other used lens I had found and then made a bit of profit on.

Ian

Focus TDCi
Sharpness isn't actually too great at full res for a lot of these, I've applied a very minor unsharp mask to some (10%) but otherwise it's just down to a bit of levels tweaking. Every shot is through a wire fence that was a good 6ft away, so that tends to wash the colours out (had some cracking shots that I just couldn't retrieve) quite severely.

I did think this when I first saw them, but put it down to web hosting, the fact that you're shooting through the fence probably explains it though. Are you ever up North with your photography Chris?

1.8 Civic EX
love Marwell tbh...awesome shots there chris...looks like the tigers were nice and active fo some good pics...when i went they were just laying about not doing much lol

I find no matter what camera you have you can always take an awesome pic of a meerkat, don't know why, they just always come out real well...