ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tripod Required!

Honda. Tesla Someday
Hello All,

Being new to DSLR photography, I need a tripod.

Nothing too fancy, so want one as a starter really.

Needs to be about 1.5 meters extended, with spirit levels.

No idea at all what to get. Is 'Hama' good? LOL I feel like such a n00b!!!!

Wanting to spend about £20 lol - see what I mean by beginners tripod / hopefully decent enough?

Many thanks much appreciated! :D

Looks decent!!!

Is it stable / able to hold the weight of a standard dSLR without feeling like its going to fall over?

Is Vivatar a good brand?

Thanks again

Mine isn't that exact one but looks very similar. Never had a problem with it and I've never thought my DSLR was going to fall off it.

Holds it steady enough to take these shots

6364490381_f208ab5c58.jpg

Light Trails by Emma_Williams, on Flickr

6364631981_e7db015eb2.jpg

Cornhill Light Trail by Emma_Williams, on Flickr

For the price of it it's worth a punt, if it's rubbish you can always take it back as its Argos.

Honda. Tesla Someday
eBay.

I got mine off there, a Velbon one, very very good. Got it for something like £30! Was a bargain tbh!

Thanks!!

Mine isn't that exact one but looks very similar. Never had a problem with it and I've never thought my DSLR was going to fall off it.

Holds it steady enough to take these shots

6364490381_f208ab5c58.jpg

Light Trails by Emma_Williams, on Flickr

6364631981_e7db015eb2.jpg

Cornhill Light Trail by Emma_Williams, on Flickr

For the price of it it's worth a punt, if it's rubbish you can always take it back as its Argos.

I think I shall buy it from Argos then lol, I forgot that its easy to abuse their refunds policy if the tripod sucks!

Appreciated thanks!!

p.s: those pics are great btw!

Honda. Tesla Someday
Just went to Argos and bought the Vivatar. They had to open 4 boxes till they found one that hadn't been used!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Amazon - tripods.

I bought my HamaStar 13 or 69 or something like that.. it was bought purely on price. Circa £12. Holds my 7D+silly lens (~1.5kg IIRC) quite happily ! I've never extended it to full height as I wouldn't put anything on like that, but I can't see a reason to have £2k of camera equipment hovering above my head :S

Honda. Tesla Someday
Ok I bought the Vivatar - havent used it yet.

However, I just found this HAMA Profil II and a Profil III from Tesco Direct.

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.210-2905.aspx

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.210-5979.aspx

Are these better than the one from Argos? - http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5693900/Trail/searchtext>TRIPOD.htm

They look better, and come apart to form a Monopod! Also, the Profil II is only £16.

Worth giving the Vivatar back to Argos and getting one of these instead? (is it work the extra £8 for the Profil III?)

Thank you chaps and chapettes!

edit: Amazon have the Hama Profil III for £17.99!!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002BHCV2U/?tag=cliospnet01-21

Try and get out and use the one you've bought. If it does all you want then pointless spending anything extra if the one you have is good enough imo.

I've no idea what the ones you've found from Tesco's are like though

Honda. Tesla Someday
Try and get out and use the one you've bought. If it does all you want then pointless spending anything extra if the one you have is good enough imo.

I've no idea what the ones you've found from Tesco's are like though

I intend to :)

Ideally I would like to have Both at the same time then keep the "better" one lol!

Thanks for all your help :)

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I've got the Hama II from Tesco and its brilliant for the money. I think I paid about £20 delivered a few months back. Really good quality for the money and they have some weight to them too so not likely to fall over in the wind, it also has the hook for adding some more weight to it.

2.2 bar shed.
I wouldnt trust a flash on all of these posted let alone thousands of pounds worth of lens and camera...

"Navy" N17 TWO
My first Tripod was from Argos - a Hama one. Star 35 or something silly like that.
Went to take a shot one day on the timer (so I could be in it lol) and the locking parts just gave way and the tripod "collapsed"
Thankfully into a smaller tripod (if that makes sense) instead of tipping over and wrecking the camera! :rolleyes:
Not even a heavy camera - a D40 with kit lens :eek:

To my expense I went for the next model up from Currys and it was worse, one of the levers was fake - wouldn't let you pan just tilt up & down.

Only good thing is they were lightweight, for obvious reasons as above. Cheap plastic crap!