ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tripods - A Few Q's

The Beast MK4
Buenos dias,

Im looking for a semi decent tripod as im always a bit skakin stevens with the camera. Even with the two second timer on! lol

The cheaper ones seem to have a height of around 1.29 to 1.5 metres. Im wanting one that can go to about my eye level (5ft 11) for those high shots e.t.c.

The old search hasn't brought up much on this topic.

Any recommendations? Or should I forget about a taller one and get a shorter one with more stability? My budget would be £50 at the very max. Ideally 30-40.

All inputs welcome.

The Beast MK4
might you not be better off with a mono pod for the high shots ?

I did look at that however I use my cam for shooting other things like calves on the Farm e.t.c therefore id like the stability lower down as well.

Plus id still be all over the place with a mono pod! lol

D

dick

get a mini tripod aswell. very handy to put in a bag just on the off chance.

Clio 182 Trophy 047/500
Hi mate I got a Valborn one at Christmas which goes well past eye level, but saying that depends on how tall you are I am 5-8 and in some cases I have to stand on tip toes.

It very light weight and comapct when folded down, perfect for learning.

Cost around £30.
http://www.cameraworld.co.uk/ViewProdDetails.asp?prod_code=34548&Prod_name=Velbon CX-660 tripod

The head is a bit of a pain as its fixed, but allows vertical movement full 360 movement and tilt.

They also have on offer this http://www.cameraworld.co.uk/ViewPr..._name=National Geographic Tundra NGTT2 Tripod

With a ball joint head which allows for much more freedom of movemnet, right on budget as well.

hope this helps

Steve

Clio 182 Trophy 047/500
The second one seems to be the best for your budget, its got the ball head and seems to have the height you are looking for as well.

I have bought loads from these guys as there based down the road from me, good bunch of lads and know what there talking about. Prices are reasonable as well.

Lee

BMW M2C
I know, it wasn't cheap, I've been promising myself one for a while. It was more than my 70-200mm F4 L lens. I figured now was a good time to treat myself ready for this years shows etc.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Nice choice Lee. I have the manfrotto magfibre (magnesium/carbon fibre) monopod - its awesome. I'm weighing up whether to get the manfrotto tripod too. :)

D

dick

i had a 400d and the err 24-135IS lens for about a week, b4 i thout s**t thats loads n took it back n got a fz50. not quite the same league but serves a purpose.

Clio 182 Trophy 047/500
I've got a monopod for taking pics of moving stuff. http://www.jessops.com/Store/s663/0/Monopods/Manfrotto/679-Monopod-(Chrome)/details.aspx?&comp=n

I picked one of these up at the weekend for stills: http://www.jessops.com/Store/s27609...aspx?&IsSearch=y&pageindex=1&CatId=342&comp=n

I also bought a Canon 24-105mm F4 L IS lens and a new camera bag.:eek:

Lee you dont happen to have any pictures using the new lense. I am looking to get a new one to upgrade from the standard kit lense and that was one of the lenses on my short list, Also been looking at the Tamaron version as well.

My advice on the Tripod options is get the very best you can afford, light is not always the best option as they can lose stability in harsh winds, but if you are going to carry all your gear with you all the time its worth looking for one of the lighter options.

I use my one mainly for landscape shots, as i have quite a steady hand for general purpose light situations. I will probably upgrade to a ball head later this year, but for now it does the job i need it to.

Lee

BMW M2C
I'll take some this evening Steve if I get chance. Problem is my broadband isn't activated yet so I can't upload them. It's scheduled to go live today, but I'm not holding my breath. I've not even had it on the camera yet as I've been a bit busy. I moved house on Friday.

I'll need to get some of idea of what sort of settings it likes first too.

You can be sure there will be plenty more interesting shots taken with it throughout the year of course.

Clio 182 Trophy 047/500
I'll take some this evening Steve if I get chance. Problem is my broadband isn't activated yet so I can't upload them. It's scheduled to go live today, but I'm not holding my breath. I've not even had it on the camera yet as I've been a bit busy. I moved house on Friday.

You can be sure there will be plenty more interesting shots taken with it throughout the year of course.

PMSL I guess you havent bought it for taking pictures of cars then, more like hiding in bushes and using the zoom for you dirty little habit ;)

Lee

BMW M2C

PMSL I guess you havent bought it for taking pictures of cars then, more like hiding in bushes and using the zoom for you dirty little habit ;)

You know my theory Steve, all you have to do is stand in front of a cheap model at a car show, wave a big lens and she'll do anything you want. lol

Clio 182 Trophy 047/500
Lee you have such a lovely way of putting it, but I am sure people get locked up for waving there lens in public LOL