ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tripods... which one...

Been looking for a tripod upgrade for a while now, i have a Cullman tripod which my dad bought years ago as he used to like photography, its served me well, but its abit chunky, i think its intended as a amateur video tripod its very sturdy,

Im not to bothered about weight on the new tripod, but my current one has the plastic brace to stop the legs going further apart than they're supposed to, i want the tripods that can open flat to the ground, and im also very interested in the tripod pole being able to bend right backwards for star trail pics...

So far i have these in mind, the red snapper is the new addition to my maybe list after a search on here...

Cant remember on which / or if any of the poles can be set backwards so the camera faces fully upwards or downwards whilst being supported

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-giottos-mtl9351b-adjustable-column-aluminium-tripod/p1025871

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-slik-sprint-pro-ii-gm-tripod/p1519849

More leaning towards this now:

http://www.redsnapperuk.com/camera-accessories/283_Alloy_3-Section_Tripod.html

But what head?

I only want a handle to position the camera at this time, so cheaper and easier the better

Opinions please... im stuck!

I was thinking on trying to get a second hand MANFROTTO 785B but i really want the pole to be removable so it can face straight up or down...

Any input appreciated.

Cupra
One of the most important things about a tripod is that it is designed to support the combined weight of your camera and lens.

Both the legs and head will be rated to a certain weight.

The 785 seems to be more aimed at compacts. The 055 is the big brother and will hold a lot more.

What kit are you using?

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  Q8 E-Tron
First question to ask is will you REALLY use it?

I spent £180 on a Manfrotto tripod and then probably used it twice before selling it, i liked the idea but when it came to it, i never used it.

If you are still hell bent on getting one, a Manfrotto is the way forward.....

Im using a d3000 and either a 18-55 or a 50mm...

Most of my photography lately is late evening or night, i used my tripod almost solely in Iceland and im planning a trip to either Prague, Paris or both so i want an upgrade, i rarely free hand use my camera at the monent.

The Cullman tripod is fine but it doesn't go low and it the pole isn't removable to be placed horizontally so i can photograph floor objects or star trails and that's what im after.

Its an all round package im after really, better looks, more functionality, horizontal positioning and possible lighter.

I tried a Manfrotto in Jessops and the build quality seemed crap to me but im sure it was as said a compact camera tripod, im sure the bigger tripods are good.

I think i will end up with a Manfrotto but if any of my needs could be met by another tripod id happily buy it, i was looking at the "three legged thing" tripods which looked good but there not in the UK at the moment.

Bus w**ker
Redsnapper, get the discount code for 10% off from TP.

Manfrotto can suck my hairy bean bag.

Talk photography?

Im leaning towards the Redsnapper, i dont think the pole can be mounted horizontally?

Im sure i could get around that... what head should i go for...? a Redsnapper head as well?

Or ..?

"Navy" N17 TWO
I've had my Manfrotto over 2 years - best I've had :)
It has been on beaches, mountains, even in rivers and and not a problem with it

I have the Redsnapper, you can't mount the pole horizontally so might not be for you.

Yeah, coming to terms with this now i think, although it would be cool i could live without it, how far back can you tilt the camera? car enough to get a decent shot of the sky?

I've had my Manfrotto over 2 years - best I've had :)
It has been on beaches, mountains, even in rivers and and not a problem with it

Im narrowing it down to a bargain Redsnapper which i think i might go for on my budget atm, or a Manfrotto, trouble it there so damn popular even 2nd hand is pricey, might just have to wait for one though...

koi

Audi S1
Yeah, coming to terms with this now i think, although it would be cool i could live without it, how far back can you tilt the camera? car enough to get a decent shot of the sky?

I can tilt it all the way back, I have the pistol grip head on mine so would be able to tilt it horizontal for sky shots.

koi

Audi S1
Yes I have the pistol grip head, you can't see in that pic but there is a groove cut which lets you tilt it back. Only criticism of the Red Snapper heads is the camera mount is a bit chunky, I'm used to the thin metal one you get on the Manfrotto.

Current discount code is: RED10 (Only for use by TP members). Free to join http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/

Okay cheers mate, im torn between the pistol grip or the metal ball mount which is a tenner extra, i like the look of the ball mount better tbh,

Cheers for the code too, im already a member so will be a nice saving...

Bus w**ker
I'm not a fan of pistol grips, but I don't know why... :S Really need to use one to see if I could actually get along with one or not.

Im just used to having a i think its called "tilt and pan" handle... with the ball and knobs head i suppose ill be using the camera itself to position it.. wondering if that will be a pain in the arse... or stress the camera mount at the bottom...

Pistol grip sounds good too... arghhhh stupid bloody things give me more options and the longer i think about them!

koi

Audi S1
I like 3 way panning heads as you can be very precise with them but nothing beats the pistol grip for sheer speed

I broke a manfrotto last night, the extension levers on the legs are really weak, the clips are also going.

My £20 Miranda Titan is 15 years old and going strong:)

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
How many pictures of the stars are you going to want facing directly upwards ?! I've never taken a star trail pointing anywhere near straight up....

No sure mate haha i was lured in by the idea in my head, your rights its like a fish eye lens, how often would a normal amateur use that... with my current tripod it can point 20 degrees up thats why i was heading in the horizontal pole mount, hearing that the redsnapper can tilt all the way up without the pole being mounted horizontally my brains kicked in and realised thats ok...

Think it will be the pistol grip with the 10% off, bargain :)