ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trophy 220- Opinions...

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Drove a 200 EDC a couple of years ago and it was "ok" but nothing more. Would like to try the Trophy but not had a chance.

If I was looking for a 5dr, B-segment hot hatch to fulfil daily duties, I would be looking at a Polo GTI. The VW DSG box is likely going to be better than the Renault one (my DSG Golf makes the Clio I drove seem totally dim-witted) and you will be getting a better screwed together interior too I suspect. If it's a daily, that would matter a lot to me. It also comes with adaptive cruise control which, in an auto, makes life so easy. It's perhaps not so fast as the Clio, but I bet it would be a whole lot better to live with.

Clio F1 197 Cup
Drove a 200 EDC a couple of years ago and it was "ok" but nothing more. Would like to try the Trophy but not had a chance.

If I was looking for a 5dr, B-segment hot hatch to fulfil daily duties, I would be looking at a Polo GTI. The VW DSG box is likely going to be better than the Renault one (my DSG Golf makes the Clio I drove seem totally dim-witted) and you will be getting a better screwed together interior too I suspect. If it's a daily, that would matter a lot to me. It also comes with adaptive cruise control which, in an auto, makes life so easy. It's perhaps not so fast as the Clio, but I bet it would be a whole lot better to live with.
Already done the whole fast VAG thing and got a bit bored with them now- plus they are so common around me it was a pain the first time trying to design something that would be a bit different! Adaptive cruise is a lovely feature, granted, and interior build has never bothered me.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
problem is they are a bit dull to drive, my mate has one and its a quick wee car but chassis is dull.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Clio 200 EDC mapped by RS Tuning, 226bhp and 250ft/lbs torque. So that's at least 75ft/lbs more torque. Gearbox has just had the latest software update.... Sitting on Cooksport springs, ITG induction kit fitted as the OE airbox is restrictive at the top end. Resonator pipe delete.
DSC_2011~2.JPG
DSC_2015~2.JPG
DSC_1799~2.JPG
rps20170208_211325.jpg
rps20170208_211234.jpg
DSC_1887~2-01.jpeg

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Some intresting opinions in here. I think I need to test a 220 now!
I can 100% see why renault went 5 door only. At £22,495 is not the wifes little shopping car now for most, it's more likely the family car. Making it more appealing to that demographic is a no brainer, and they say it's worked too with this clio rs more popular in Europe than any other.

RS280EDC

Yes the original EDC box was pants in Auto and none RS MODE but Richard as the new up date so the annoying Auto problem as gone.The 220 box is good I drive it on the paddles 99% of the time and no complaints it's fantastic on track to

Clio F1 197 Cup
Clio 200 EDC mapped by RS Tuning, 226bhp and 250ft/lbs torque. So that's at least 75ft/lbs more torque. Gearbox has just had the latest software update.... Sitting on Cooksport springs, ITG induction kit fitted as the OE airbox is restrictive at the top end. Resonator pipe delete.
View attachment 179341 View attachment 179342 View attachment 179343 View attachment 179344 View attachment 179345 View attachment 179346
Interesting opinion, thank you for sharing a slightly different viewpoint of a modded 200EDC. Out of interest, I presume the gearbox update was aftermarket? Renault don't offer this as an option?

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Yes the original EDC box was pants in Auto and none RS MODE but Richard as the new up date so the annoying Auto problem as gone.The 220 box is good I drive it on the paddles 99% of the time and no complaints it's fantastic on track to

As I say, I'm yet to have the chance to try one out. I am car shopping currently so maybe I should lie to a dealer and have a go lol.

As for the OP, given that about the only options are Polo GTI and Clio RS, it would seem sensible to me to test drive both and decide from there. People on a forum can only tell you so much. You might drive one or the other and hate it, or instantly decide it's the car for you.

Civic type r fk8
The trophy has different springs, shocks, steering rack, Turbo, air intake, faster gearbox ,paddles have 30% less travel in them, more power and is 3 seconds a lap quicker around there track and you get 4 years warranty and full breakdown cover.

Civic type r fk8
If you test drive one with a renaultsport monitor in it make sure you change the throttle and steering settings , makes a nice difference in sport mode, and the gear changes are faster in sport mode

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Never driven the new clio but they look ace.
Can't help but think when (and imo it will) the gearbox goes wrong it's going to be painfull.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Interesting opinion, thank you for sharing a slightly different viewpoint of a modded 200EDC. Out of interest, I presume the gearbox update was aftermarket? Renault don't offer this as an option?
I had it done at Renault, as mentioned its the latest version for the gearbox. The difference is night and day. It's made the whole driving experience 100% better. Pre update it was the only negative I had.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Has it got rid of the crappy lag when you want a downshift that it doesn't agree with?
I had to pull the paddle about three times before it agreed with me.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Has it got rid of the crappy lag when you want a downshift that it doesn't agree with?
Chris its a shame we don't live much closer (would have made picking up the RB a lot easier!) I would have been more than happy for you to give mine a try to see what you think, I'm certainly no Alonso or motoring journo.

RS280EDC
DSC_0006.JPG
_20170216_202803.JPG
Chris I'd say it was a 200t Pre update bud but on the 220t you can change the peddle and steering map in RS MODE bud

Clio F1 197 Cup
Never driven the new clio but they look ace.
Can't help but think when (and imo it will) the gearbox goes wrong it's going to be painfull.
What makes you think the gearbox will go wrong? From my research it appears to be a Getrag 6DCT250 dry clutch unit, happy to be corrected, Getrag produce good components as far as I am aware?

I had it done at Renault, as mentioned its the latest version for the gearbox. The difference is night and day. It's made the whole driving experience 100% better. Pre update it was the only negative I had.
Very interesting, did they charge you for this? And is it something they are happy to carry out on all 200EDCs or only those that moan a lot? Haha.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Because it's a Renault. Hope to be proved wrong but can't say i will be shocked in a couple of years time to hear woeful stories about the box.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
What makes you think the gearbox will go wrong? From my research it appears to be a Getrag 6DCT250 dry clutch unit, happy to be corrected, Getrag produce good components as far as I am aware? .
Getrag build the gearbox yes.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
I was made aware of the updated version by a 3rd party so I went to Renault service and asked them about it. They said there was a revised version and charged me £48 to start with (long story) ended up paying only half the amount. They charged me as it was a service not a recall, I was more than happy to pay for the updated version and as mentioned its completely changed the way the Clio drives.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I think its more like slight internal differences- Trophy goes also have the recalibrate gearbox and seeing as we would want one with <5k miles the prices are so similar we're better off going for a Trophy I think.

If the prices are similar then definatly go for the trophy, I assumed you could get a edc for a few grand less.

Budget some money to change those god awful wheels tho... :tongueout:

Civic type r fk8
My trophy will do 40 on a run and average 32 mpg,but let's be honest a hot hatch and mpg ,nobody buys one for economy.

Starlet_gt

ClioSport Club Member
  VW T5.1
My 200tEDC is currently on 30.3mpg after 10000 miles of stop start driving and the odd motorway run.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
I usually average 30-33mpg, I've seen 41mpg on a motorway run with cruise set to 72mph. I'm a bit of a sucker for mpg coming from the Mk4 Media Nav so I was half keen to see what the EDC would do in the first weeks of ownership.

The last couple of fill ups of £20 @ £1.27 a litre for V Power (15.74 litres) I've seen just under 100 miles. A mixture of Auto and SPORT mode around town and minimal dual carriageway run.

Clio trophy
So, potentially controversial topic coming up haha.

Trophy 220.

Any experiences? I've seen two cars on here so far but nothing in any real detail. Has anyone had much experience in the way of test drives, weekend loans, passenger runs, owns one perhaps?

Online reviews seem very positive and whilst the engine may not be necessarily charismatic there seems to be significant chassis and gearbox developments that make this much more of a RS product. Now, I can't knock the Mk4 Clio RS as I have never experienced one- I actually quite like the back end and front view- I still think it has too many doors but I can appreciate what they wanted the car to be. I'm sure the 200EDC would be a cracking car with the aftermarket (gearbox recalibration, remap, suspension tweaks etc) but realistically only the very oldest of cars are coming up to 4 years and most are going to be in warranty still. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable modifying until a couple years outside warranty.

So it looks like the 220 Trophy could be a good offering for someone looking for an automatic, smallish car with some decent performance. I would love to drive one, but I suspect most garages won't let me, being under 25.

We are potentially going to be in the market for swapping the family Abarth 500 MTA (flappy paddle, automated clutch, manual transmission) for something else and requirements will be: newish, smallish, automatic and with some decent poke. I dont fancy any VAG products, we've had enough of those for a while and thinking about the options the new Clio could be a potentially very good fit...
I own a 220 trophy and it's lightyear ahead of the std 1.6 turbo rs I owned before

Clio trophy
In what way? is it worth the extra over the standard 200edc?
It's quicker gearbox is far more responsive the trophy seats and leather interior is much better admitted the interior costs a bit but the car like for like is worth the money in my opinion wheels and tyres give better feed back I just love nailing it. this car is used every day and driven it's not cosseted and polished it driven .done eight thousand miles in it now and loved every one of them and it now needs valeting not cleaned it from delivery

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
It's quicker gearbox is far more responsive the trophy seats and leather interior is much better admitted the interior costs a bit but the car like for like is worth the money in my opinion wheels and tyres give better feed back I just love nailing it. this car is used every day and driven it's not cosseted and polished it driven .done eight thousand miles in it now and loved every one of them and it now needs valeting not cleaned it from delivery

Good to hear from someone who's owned both! :up:

The pearlescent white they come in is an awesome colour too.

RS280EDC
Good to hear from someone who's owned both! :up:

The pearlescent white they come in is an awesome colour too.
The Trophy is more driver focused the box in Race is fantastic the rubber as mentioned is fantastic when hot.And I've owed both the 200t is a good car the box is fine apart from Auto I've tracked both car and the Trophy is chalk and Cheese compered to the 200t
received_626315827556040.jpeg
received_1237347599628224.jpeg

Not sure if this has been posted.

The difference over the 'normal' 200 and the 220 Trophy seems quite extensive, mainly the Chassis and Handling front. That alone would sway me towards one.

The 208 GTi by P.S is a serious piece of kit aswell .

I keep looking myself tbh at the 220's lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
I hope the trophy plummets in value the same way as the normal 200t has. I'll be able to afford one then. I really want one