ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trophy - ETV Nurburgring

JoshOm3

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup'182/Rs2'd Trophy
Haha. Yeh it's me... Your T looked nice. Had a gander 5-10mins before you went out on that lap as I ended up 5-8cars behind you whilst Q-ing on the roundabout.

As gez 172 said, Rs2'd.

Clio Trophy #205
Fair play lads certainly went well! Spotted it around a few times looked sweet on the Williams wheels, how many laps did you get in?

JoshOm3

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup'182/Rs2'd Trophy
Fair play lads certainly went well! Spotted it around a few times looked sweet on the Williams wheels, how many laps did you get in?

Thanks for the compliments, also goes ok too. Err, think we did 13 laps in total. How about yourself.

You still out here?

Clio Trophy #205
I did 4, would have liked more but it's not cheap, was only really starting to get a hang of the track! So much fun though, we left this morning, did you stay out there today?

JoshOm3

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup'182/Rs2'd Trophy
Yeh it isn't cheap. We managed to buy 21laps for €300 off some bloke lol, pure luck.

We made out way home this morning also, left at 10am.

Kawasaki ER6N
This was next to me on the home straight queuing to get off I was in the vRS.

IMG_3194_zps2d982c24.jpg

Clio Trophy #205
That's a right result why on earth he was selling them so cheap I do not know?! There's quite a few photo's of yours on the various ring photographers websites that I've seen as well!

JoshOm3

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup'182/Rs2'd Trophy
He was on his way to Switzerland so didn't have time left to complete any more laps what with the closures. So we nabbed them off him for cheap.

Yeh ive seen the ones of mine, also seen plenty of yours also.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
You guys bother with insurance at all for the touristfahrten? How did your tyres cope? I've only ever been on in the RSR Clio 200 and the Rent 4 Ring Swifts. Going in July in my Civic.

JoshOm3

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup'182/Rs2'd Trophy
You guys bother with insurance at all for the touristfahrten? How did your tyres cope? I've only ever been on in the RSR Clio 200 and the Rent 4 Ring Swifts. Going in July in my Civic.

I personally don't bother with insurance. I think it's possible to obtain but at a price. I run the risk knowing full well what I'm doing. Tyre wise I'm on R888's and was running 20psi to build too 27-28 on track. Had even wear all weekend with 14laps.

Imo it all depends on your tyre brand and the climate your in.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
I personally don't bother with insurance. I think it's possible to obtain but at a price. I run the risk knowing full well what I'm doing. Tyre wise I'm on R888's and was running 20psi to build too 27-28 on track. Had even wear all weekend with 14laps.

Imo it all depends on your tyre brand and the climate your in.

Cheers, apologies for the thread hijack.

Yeah I'm taking a set of used AD08R on some 17" OZ F1s and Kumho track tyres aswell as some spare 2nd hand Hankooks but driving over on my Rota's with Michelins.

Should last 2 days I hope!! First day's a track day though. Yeah I CBA with insurance, it's super expensive and not worth it when you look at all the loopholes in the small print. Just be super cautious and not try to be a hero.

Clio Trophy #205
I didn't bother with insurance and neither did any of my mates. It's a risk you have to take I think considering the cost of what's actually available out there. I ran AD08r's at about 28psi and they coped just fine, even tyre wear all round as well. I was just there to have fun, not trying to break any lap records.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

We always go insured now, I had an off just under 10 years ago the bill was 6,000 euros, so now it seems like a sensible option to just pay to insure instead.

Costs us 60 quid a day, so not really worth not doing IMHO.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
PS

I think some people forget that its actually not that difficult to end up with a 100K or more bill if you are deemed to have caused someone else to come off, even if they just slip on your oil after you have damaged your car or something like that, its not common but its certainly something people should be aware of, German laws regarding who is liable go a lot further than UK ones.

172, Tiguan
Asking for trouble not having insurance in my opinion. Consequences don't even bear thinking about.

I wouldn't go without insurance.

Risk being bankrupt if something unlikely happens or pay the premium to be covered. Easy choice for me to make to be honest.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
I only did one lap as it was chaotic there tbh, so I just moved over to the right for everyone and anyone.

Thing is its a 'tourist' day, meaning its for tourists to go on and enjoy/ experience a lap of the crazy circuit to appreciate how big and steep some of the bends are. But with people turning up in race cars and trying to beat the clock on a super busy day. Was mental the amount of crashes there

Swift Sport
Yeah they must make a fortune from dishing all the bills out, as I'm sure that the fines are way higher than the cost of the damage.

I'm either going to drive there or catch a lift and rent something when I get there (I'm leaving it late as we're going in a couple of weeks lol), but I was wondering if a rental car is automatically insured? Sounds like a daft question but you never know with things like this!

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Nope! The excess is MASIVE on the rental cars. May as well crash your own car

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I went out a couple of weeks ago and the 'Ring was very quiet. I did one early morning lap on Sunday (touristday) and only saw one other car. The afternoon wasn't much busier and I got in a couple of decent 9.30 min laps.

172, Tiguan
Nope! The excess is MASIVE on the rental cars. May as well crash your own car

That depends on the car you rent and insurance is included.

Sure crashing your own car may prove cheaper for the first party (you), but you are - how can I put this nicely - fcuked, if you cause damage, or worse, injury to the third party.

Driving round without suitable third party insurance is mind-numbingly stupid. That's why a lot of us stopped going a few years ago. Insurance companies offering third party cover on the Ring are very few and far between.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
I'd pay 60 a day! Who's that with?!

We always go insured now, I had an off just under 10 years ago the bill was 6,000 euros, so now it seems like a sensible option to just pay to insure instead.

Costs us 60 quid a day, so not really worth not doing IMHO.

JoshOm3

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup'182/Rs2'd Trophy
I searched high and low last year before we went for a company to insure me and couldn't find a suitable cost which I could afford. I was being told £170 for the day etc, which in comparison to the cost of you having a bump without insurance is nothing, I understand that.

Anyone who enters onto that Tarmac without insurance should be well clued up that if anything happens their well and truly fucked, unless you have a rich uncle.

I drove this year without Insurance and would be doing the same next year if I go. But that's me.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Binning a rental car and doing 100k of damage is cheaper than binning an uninsured car and doing so. Costs are still high but at least there is a finite ceiling.

We insure with Keith michaels. They can only off you the ring extension if your policy is with them too.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
I'm with flux. With all the excesses and stuff it's a bit gash. I'll just be super cautious, always am on there, get overtaken by allsorts!

mk1 Octavia VRS
Hello Josh - was good to meet you out there!

I didn't have insurance either, I doubt most of the brits do. I think the Rent 4 Ring Swifts have a €3500 excess, so probably a cheaper option if your crash involves barriers or more than just your car. If/when I go again I'll definitely look at renting as it would be nice to have peace of mind and the Swifts actually go very well.

I'm with flux. With all the excesses and stuff it's a bit gash. I'll just be super cautious, always am on there, get overtaken by allsorts!

I overtook a jetta last year, that was all, super woman driving.

I am going back in July this year and definitely need insurance, did flux cover you for independent cover or was it an addition on a policy you already have?

Thanks

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
@Matt W

2 crashes? Only one as far as I'm aware, and that was Jack. And it was still an epic trip, Jack only scuffed his front bumper on the car and had no bill..

if you look at the pics on the forum, you'll see it went epic ;) rather than 'not too well'

planning on going out again shortly.

Swift Sport
Well today my plans of riding shotgun to the 'Ring ended when my mate backed out this morning due to financial difficulties, so I've chosen to drive alone (in convoy).

I can choose between my MX-5 and my Ignis, but I'm tempted to go in the Mazda as it's more of a cruiser than the Suzuki.

Have any of you had issues with speedbumps on the journey? My Mazda is a little on the low side and may struggle!