ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trying to ping a device, help appreciated

Clio 197
I'm hoping someone can help with my dissertation. Basically i'm attempting to ping from an embedded device and trying to capture the ping traffic in wireshark on a laptop however it won't work when attempting to use the laptops internal IP address, and obviously I can't see any pings in wireshark when attempting to use the external IP address since there are other devices in the house that share the same address. I'd be incredibly grateful if someone who had a server or device with a unique external & internal IP address to see if they can receive the ping and possibly provide a screenshot of it

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Have you thought about standing up an EC2 instance and using that as the ping target/sender?

Amazon have a free tier which will let you stand up something suitable, and also your tutors will probably wet themselves with delight "because cloud" ;)

https://aws.amazon.com/free/

Just make sure not to forget about it after the free year and leave instances stood up, because then you have to pay.

Clio 197
Have you thought about standing up an EC2 instance and using that as the ping target/sender?

Amazon have a free tier which will let you stand up something suitable, and also your tutors will probably wet themselves with delight "because cloud" ;)

Just make sure not to forget about it after the free year and leave instances stood up, because then you have to pay.
That looks like something I can use, thanks for the idea mate! ?

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I'm hoping someone can help with my dissertation. Basically i'm attempting to ping from an embedded device and trying to capture the ping traffic in wireshark on a laptop however it won't work when attempting to use the laptops internal IP address, and obviously I can't see any pings in wireshark when attempting to use the external IP address since there are other devices in the house that share the same address. I'd be incredibly grateful if someone who had a server or device with a unique external & internal IP address to see if they can receive the ping and possibly provide a screenshot of it

I can't actually work out what you're doing or wanting to do from that description, why have things got the same address (are you talking externally because of NAT?).

is the embedded device on a VPN SIM or something? (We have customers who use static IP SIM cards, some use a real IP and others use a 192 or 172 address that requires you to be connected to a VPN obviously)

Clio 197

Just wanted to thank you again for the suggestion mate, worked like a charm. I definitely owe you a pint or two :D