ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tuning for Mk 2 Clio 1.6 16V 1999>

Anyone tuned a new clio Mk 2 1600 16V RSi yet?? Done the exhaust, filter, chip, increased rev limit but want more power etc. Does increasing rev limit to 7200rpm mean more power?

Let me know, bought one to tune for trackdays, and to see how far itll go!!

effectively yes, higher rpm will mean more power compared to that produced at 4000rpm. However, it does it in such an inefficient way. with the rev limit up there, i suspect you priobably getting valve bounce and will need stronger valve springs to take advantage of it. If you really want all your power up the rev range, you need a very free flowing engine, high lift and long duration cam, valve seats cut, and piston crowns with valve cut outs. also you need to run more overlap than normal. At higher rpm, more overlap means that the exhaust valve is actually open when the inlet valve opens, this is becasue the exhaust gasses leaving teh cylinder and moving down the headerpipe, will creaste an area of lower pressure behind it and suck more fuel/air into the cylinder = more power. Trade off is that at lower rpm, this air/fuel actually gets sucked out of the cylinder and into the exhaust system, decreasing VE (volumetric efficiency) and making power at low rpm poo since there is no fuel and air to burn.

I would be interested to speak with you regarding more engine mods for you 1.6 16v.I feel thyat there is quite a potential for this little unit. We have just completed a 1.6 8valve conversion to a 1.4rt clio and are looking to the 16valve as a future project . Please call me at Hill Power (01530) 273633.

Nic,

Ill phone u tomorrow. If u want my car for a monkey/hamster/guinea pig etc - im more than happen to let u work on it - as long as I get more power and torque more so !!!

Cheers

Tim

Cheers for the chat last week Nic - please keep me posted about any updates regarding the 1600 16V project. Maybe in a few months Ill be able to get something done!!!

Tim

Renault Laguna Coupe

Nick if youre still following this thread, Id be very interested in anything you have to offer for the 1.6 16v engine - my Megane Cabriolet could do with a bit more va va voom!