ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turbo conversion - clutch slipping

Fishfire

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Hi all,

So my Clio 172 turbo was recently finished and after a remap at EFI made 240.4bhp and 233ft/lb.

I fitted a brand new OE spec (Sachs I think) clutch but have noticed it slipping a few times under heavy acceleration/boost.

Any thoughts on what clutch would work best at this power level, whilst being as close to 'normal feel' as possible.
I had a three puck solid clutch on a previous Impreza, and whilst it did the job, I stalled that car pulling away more times than I care to count 🤦🤣

Adeyspec

ClioSport Club Member
  Frankenstein Twingo
Borderline on the grip of a stock clutch by the looks of it. Id look at something slightly grippier that retains a stock cover to keep the feel as "normal" as possible. I run a CG motorsport dual friction plate with a stock cover (though a twingo rs133 item as hydraulic but same size as a 172) holding 280bhp and 300lbft, it feels only just heavier than stock.

Fishfire

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Borderline on the grip of a stock clutch by the looks of it. Id look at something slightly grippier that retains a stock cover to keep the feel as "normal" as possible. I run a CG motorsport dual friction plate with a stock cover (though a twingo rs133 item as hydraulic but same size as a 172) holding 280bhp and 300lbft, it feels only just heavier than stock.

Cheers dude.....I'll have a look at those.

My car was going very well in the cold last night but then would slip and grip a few times at peak boost, before settling down

Adeyspec

ClioSport Club Member
  Frankenstein Twingo
cold weather giving you a few extra ponies I bet :D pushing it to the limit. I'm sure others will chime in, I put mine together the way I did to keep it as road friendly as possible, I really didn't want an on/off switch for a clutch

Fishfire

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
cold weather giving you a few extra ponies I bet :D pushing it to the limit. I'm sure others will chime in, I put mine together the way I did to keep it as road friendly as possible, I really didn't want an on/off switch for a clutch

I'm also keen to keep the clutch feel as OE as possible.

I remember the Excedy paddle clutch in my Subaru getting very tedious to use lol