ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

turboing 172

hey im thinking of tryin to get my 172 turbo'd does anyone no what sort of price id be looking at? also what sort of presure boost would be safe running these engines at? and what bhp it would take it to? also anyone no anyone near kent or south england that has done it and where was it done?

thanks for any replys and advice!!!!!

S2 106 GTI
my mate shaun has a 182 tubo, 309bhp think the conversion cost him around £8000 for K-TEC, he got the all singing and all dancing upgrade's. K-TEC do the conversion for around £6000 (stage 1) think that takes it to 250-260bhp???

S2 106 GTI
or sell it and get a ibiza/golf/leon turbo or a focus rs

true! since i went in my mates i have been wanting to get one! the power is unbelievable!!!!!!! but its just parting with £6000-£8000 to get it done! :( thats more than the cost of my car!

yeah it is alot, i did have a subaru type r so iv had a fast car but everyone new it was fast just by looking at it, id like to turbo the clio cause it would be a bit different but 6k is a bit to much im hoping to get it done for about 4k.

If your going to sepnd this sort of money do the conversion right get a different engine the VAG 1.8 T i a much better choice for power plus the gearbox isn't made from swis chese LSD are cheaper to but the driveshafts are uite easy to make.

I'd heard companies charging £5k for a basic conversion.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Why bother, Sensible mods and coils/breaks will tank a turbo'd clio on track!

E92 M3 Monte Carlo
If your going to sepnd this sort of money do the conversion right get a different engine the VAG 1.8 T i a much better choice for power plus the gearbox isn't made from swis chese LSD are cheaper to but the driveshafts are uite easy to make.

I'd heard companies charging £5k for a basic conversion.

why would you put a volkswagon engine in a 3year old clio,yes i know matt black did it but it was only a cheap 1.2 not a 172/182 and its just not meant to go in there he even said it was pulling all over the place cause of how the engine sat,and if you broke down who'd have a clue how to fix it,why not just buy an ibiza cupra if you want a hothatch with that engine in and put some coilovers on it

172 cup TT
why would you put a volkswagon engine in a 3year old clio,yes i know matt black did it but it was only a cheap 1.2 not a 172/182 and its just not meant to go in there he even said it was pulling all over the place cause of how the engine sat,and if you broke down who'd have a clue how to fix it,why not just buy an ibiza cupra if you want a hothatch with that engine in and put some coilovers on it

How does haitchs car drive then? is it similar? (Valver 1.8t)

The engine and gearbox are

Stronger

Lowered compression as standard and can take 280 brake stock (assuming your using the 210/225hp engine) They have been tested to 750hp onb stock capactiby off the shelf stuff in Europe will take you to 400hp. Stock internals are fine for 350hp.

Why spend 6k on an engine and box which arn't designed to take (in the gearboxes case 200NM) when the VAG 6 speed box is warentied upto 300NM by VAG other companies warently hem to 350NM Its proven its strenght to way more. Plus its got 6 speeds and much nicer to use.

Matts was a lot of the problems if you did the comversion and spend some money soritng out the torque stear due to the long driveshafts using strengthing points then it would be fine.

Its designed for turbo as stock so oil lines are all there. All problems are known in high boost applications.

Matts was a 1.4 from memory. Anyway there the same shells.

Who's going to know how to fix a turbo 172 engine theres not many in existance any VAG place knows what a 1.8 T engine looks like any tunner knows what a stand alone setup looks like. The engine one of the most common transplant engines at the moment and think how mnay cars use it and ven the new VAG cars use the same sort of engine in 2.0 spec.

Seat handles terribaly IMO I'd much prefere a Clio shell for handling.

E92 M3 Monte Carlo

How does haitchs car drive then? is it similar? (Valver 1.8t)

dunno mate the lad who used to own it did all the work himself and fairplay to him doing it to a £1500 16v,