ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Turboing a Clio 182!?!?

L

L99BAX

Has Any One Here Turboed A Clio 182???

I'm Seriously Considering Doing It (Professionally) So Would Greatly Appreciate Any Feedback People.

Thanx :D

L

L99BAX

Cheers pal.

Yeah been studying the ktec website hardcore lol! Wish i had unlimited founds lol.

RS RIP
You should REALLY read about more because there is a supercharger on the way , much safer/better drive !

search for supercharger , turbo will eventually wreck your gearbox

A

ashy_gtt

You should REALLY read about more because there is a supercharger on the way , much safer/better drive !

search for supercharger , turbo will eventually wreck your gearbox

?EH? Do you know what you're talking about?

Audi TT
And the supercharger puts more strain on the engine so take your pick.....

Ktec low pressure looks a decent option

Mk2 172
And the supercharger puts more strain on the engine so take your pick.....

Ktec low pressure looks a decent option

but the turbo will eat gearboxes due to the way the power comes in when i comes on boost! low pressure supercharger is the way to go

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
So it's available to buy today?

And the price is?

And what spec kit is it?

TBF the options are simple.

ITB's kit- approx 2.5-3K 200bhp lose tragic control, cruise and everythng else that goes with a stadalone engine management sytem.

Turbocharging - from 2.5K to as much as you want to spend, 215bhp+ keep everything (unless you go for standalone management)

Supercharging - informations a bit sketchy (as there all still in development/testing stages) but they seem to be range from 2.5K (if your willing to lose your A/C) through to 4K+ if you want to retain it.

As for the turbos destroying gearboxes I find it all a bit scare mongering, fair enough if you running incredibly high boosted engines with gigantic turbos as found on drag cars, where the boost comes in with a big hit at say 4.5 RPM. Then yes you may have problems.

At 7 psi coming on boost progressively? (as found in the low boost turbo conversion)There shouldn't be a problem.

Just my perspective on things.

Mk2 172
So it's available to buy today?

And the price is?

And what spec kit is it?

TBF the options are simple.

ITB's kit- approx 2.5-3K 200bhp lose tragic control, cruise and everythng else that goes with a stadalone engine management sytem.

Turbocharging - from 2.5K to as much as you want to spend, 215bhp+ keep everything (unless you go for standalone management)

Supercharging - informations a bit sketchy (as there all still in development/testing stages) but they seem to be range from 2.5K (if your willing to lose your A/C) through to 4K+ if you want to retain it.

As for the turbos destroying gearboxes I find it all a bit scare mongering, fair enough if you running incredibly high boosted engines with gigantic turbos as found on drag cars, where the boost comes in with a big hit at say 4.5 RPM. Then yes you may have problems.

At 7 psi coming on boost progressively? (as found in the low boost turbo conversion)There shouldn't be a problem.

Just my perspective on things.

yeah but 200lbft of torque too! the ITB kit imo is the best way to go when spending around 3k

raw striker
stevieh,

not sure where your getting your prices from for the supercharger kits but you will be looking at more than the figures your quoting. kits will be 100% fully comprehensive unlike some other kits out there meaning it will include management, loom, supercharger, brackets, bost pipes, intercooler, manual throttle adapter kit, full idle control, all clips bolts ect.

as for the aircon kits...unless people show genuine interest down the line i doubt it will be available as its would be very expensive (in the region of 5.5-6.6k) and its allot to gamble on having very expensive bracket sets made just to sit on the shelves for years gathering dust.

but results and prices ect will be available in 2-4 weeks for the non aircon kits. please take your time to research currently available itb and turbo kits though if you want to go that way. speak to as many customers as you can who have various kits fitted and make your own mind up on where to buy and what route to take regaurding hardware and electronics ect.

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Deltav the prices are what was initially banded around late last year when supercharging was first suggested obviously in the current economic climate the prices have risen. I have done as much research as the interweb will allow and as such have come to the above pro's and con's of each.

Dan, obviously you have ITB's cams etc... so your sure to be slightly biased. But if for the money you've spent you could go back and have the low boost conversion (with the potential to upgrade to the high boost at a later date) you'd genuinely not be interested?

I'm not knocking any form of induction merely stating that a low boost turbo conversion offers clio owners the "best bang for their buck" at this moment in time.

RS RIP
?EH? Do you know what you're talking about?

Power delivery is linear as opposed to the turbo kicking in with a lot of torque from about 2500.

The charger runs on a belt , so runs along all the rev range meaning there's no "power kick" on the gearbox. That's the "safe " part i'm talking about.

As for the nicer drive ; imagine your light Clio when the boost hits in a fast curve for example. You'll have difficulties keeping her on the road , really. The linear power delivery is just a more relaxed, easier way of driving.

That's my understanding of it.. Do you maybe have anything to add ?

I think GDI and Angelworks are working on this ..Also as crazy as you want to go they will develop a set that's 100% safe on ALL engineparts running 250(?) hp but it can Easily run 300+ .. This came out of first testing , They already had a car running pretty damn nicely as i've read somewhere.. (DeltaV knows it)

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
As for the nicer drive ; imagine your light Clio when the boost hits in a fast curve for example. You'll have difficulties keeping her on the road , really. The linear power delivery is just a more relaxed, easier way of driving.

Wow what a really interesting take on turbocharged vehicles?

If turbo's are so dangerous, as in coming on boost mid corner, why are they used by almost every vehicle manufacturer in the world on production vehicles?

Also my girlfriend has a smart roadster which is even lighter than a clio and when that comes on boost, whooosh your off the road!!! LOL

A

ashy_gtt

That's my understanding of it.. Do you maybe have anything to add ?

Everyone seems to be getting hung up on power delivery, Ok if you drive everywhere on full chat hammering it with your foot to the floor wheelspinning in every gear then your gearbox might not last too long! But the truth is in normal everyday driving you dont spend much time on full boost. The thing is you don't enter a corner and floor it half way through, anyone who does that deserves to end up in a wall or hedge!

Boost doesn't just appear from no where and give you a shock every time, its progresive and you can control it with the gogo pedal!

My engines in an R5gtt, running just short of 240bhp and 230lb.ft of torque... Its actually effortless to drive, builds torque low down and is actually nice and smooth, you don't need to give it a heavy right foot all the time!!

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
No your wrong ashy gtt, turbos and boost are the most evil things in the clio world merely talking about a turbo anywhere near your clio will have the gearbox falling to pieces LOL.

I agree that a sensibly driven turbo'd clios gearbox will last considerably longer than a stock 1*2's thats been screwed down the drag strip repeatedly.

Of all the turbo'd clios out there how many have actually had gearbox failures?

A

ashy_gtt

Of all the turbo'd clios out there how many have actually had gearbox failures?

Only one i know of was Chris (scoff) who killed his... but that box must of done a hundred runs at Pod. Plus thats running 11 second 1/4's at 127mph so it can't be short on power!!!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i love this myth about clio gearboxes, dont turbo it it will break the box, dont supercharge it the box wont take it dont fit a K&N filter the extra power will eat the box.... how many people actually have issues with the boxes apart from the cars that have been humped about wheelspinning everywhere!

Ph1
You got to remember a hell of a lot of folk on here hammer their Clio's on track days every weekend then post up findings and experiences which come under the heading ''road car'' which is slightly unfair and no way a true reflection of normal to spirited driven road car.

All a myth is this weak box lark imo

182 Cup
The gearboxes are rated up to a specific torque rating though aren't they? And although I don't know the exact figure, I was under the impression that it wasn't too far away from the standard Clio's output?

Ph1
The gearboxes are rated up to a specific torque rating though aren't they? And although I don't know the exact figure, I was under the impression that it wasn't too far away from the standard Clio's output?

Not sure but theres loads on here running well over factory figures and a good few running close to 150bhp over stock and they dont seem to have problems.

Might not be the strongest box ever built but the weakness of it seems to have been blown out of all proportion.

172 - 249bhp @ the wheels
As long as your not ramming it into gear they will last. Obviously more power is going to cause more strain on the components, that's an unavoidable fact and fairly obvious I'd have thought lol

RS RIP
Wow what a really interesting take on turbocharged vehicles?

If turbo's are so dangerous, as in coming on boost mid corner, why are they used by almost every vehicle manufacturer in the world on production vehicles?

Also my girlfriend has a smart roadster which is even lighter than a clio and when that comes on boost, whooosh your off the road!!! LOL

:S

Cars you're talking about are designed to be turbo'd ... cannot compare it to what we're talking about here ; which is turbo-ing a CLio, not desigend to do the job

I was looking at a turbo-set for my Cup once, also a low boost one . I decided against it after a testdrive in one because the car is already pretty "twitchy" without boost coming in. A turbo really wo'nt help cornering/curving behavior when on boost.

RS RIP

damn straight . 200 Newton Meters and i'm already over this with my setup

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Well franx I've been to ktec and drove their low boost converted clio, and thought it was very impressive.

Hence the reason why, when it's being suggested that turbos come in with a big bang, I can confidently state that it's pure poop as I've actually driven one.

RS RIP
Steve, when going "on the edge" and driving hard (which is what you do when wanting to tune your car this way?) ; linear power will keep you on the road.charger gets my vote ;)

comparing the two ; turbo + charger , charger is the winner !

Linear power seems best to me ; drive-wise + wear-wise .

BUT; it's an opinion which needs confirmation ; no charger Clio has been sold yet so i ca'nt say my opinion is proven :)

My Theory is right me thinks

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Franx there are to many considerations to be made when choosing any type of tuning, however the biggest consideration will always be finances.

Personaly I look at the costs and what features of the vehicle will have to be lost.

As previously mentioned with a supercharger it's uneconomical to retain the AC system so there fore it will be lost (unless your willing to pay considerably more).

Now this is great for those who solely use there cars as track toys however most will never see the track.

Personally I'd like to retain as many of the small number of creature comforts as possible.

Only time will tell which is better but I'm quite confident that a turbo conversion which will produce as much power as ITB's + cams and considerably more torque, yet only cost as much as an ITB kit on it's own, will prove quite popular.

It really is a no brainer!

Last edited:
  Lionel Richie
the box thing depends how you drive mainly, we abuse the hell out of them round track, heal and toe, heavy engine braking etc, we were doing a rebuild per season, possibly 2

R35 GTR
My gearbox has lasted 55k miles, around 35k of those with the turbo running at 220bhp+. I know people in standard cars who have had at least 3 in that mileage....

Turbo power is more fun I guess as the torque is immense, makes it feel quicker than it is if you understand me?. Just stamp on the pedal and it comes alive straightaway in the right gear.

Engineering specs will always state max torque, but probably have a decent safety factor so that can be exceeded.

I think the problem comes when you dump the clutch as some people do, or force gear changes, this would put extra un needed stress on the box.