ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Turbos

Is it possible to fit a turbo to any car. Or can you only change the turbos on alredy tuboed cars. If you can fit a turbo to any car how much extra work will be needed to be done to the car.

Does anyone know how much this would cost and where it can be done.

Cheers.

Ben.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

ok if your thinking about turboing your 1.2 dont

(actually if you have the 8v 1.2 a turbo kit exists)

but put it this way if you have the cash anything is possible

You cant just slap a turbo to the side of a car and expect it to work. THeres a lot of consideration into such an engine. For example, the compression ratios will be higher for a turbo car due to the forced induction. The fueling will need to be changed to compensate for the larger air volume being passed into the chamber, and the head will need work as NASP engines head gaskets wont take the extra forces added to the cylinders. Its a lot of money to spend, and to do it properly is best to start off with a bigger and stronger lump to play with. Bazz (member on this forum) lives over the road and ive seen his engine bay of his 16Ver. THere aint much room i must admit, but on a 1.2 it should be ok. Would love to see the finished article if you do manage :)

Regards.

Steve

i have read an article somewhere in the past about a kit for the twingo, think it was a 1.2 or 1.4 but i cant remember who it was made by, i have a feeling it wasnt too expensive as it didnt require low compression pistons etc as it was a low pressure turbo

not much help i know :oops:

um, to turn tubo even a low pressure conversion.

You firstly gotta find/fabricate and exhaust manifold that will house a turbo, then you have to modify the existing exhaust system, then fabricate an inlet system, plumbing in all the needed pipes. After that, you need to sort ignition curves and fueling, are your std injectors up to it? do you need a 5th, do you want to mess about with a 5th injector setup (crude).

Then there is more to consider but i cant be arsed, its just not worth it.

so youd say that it definatly isnt worth it then. Do you have any ideas what the costs will be like if there are any places that would do all this. Cheers Ben.

if i were taking a stab in the dark, i would say it will end up costing about 2-3 grand if you can do everything yourself.