ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Turinis bolt holes damage advice.

Clio 182 cup
Hello,just bought some 2nd hand turinis for my 182,had two fronts refurbished and then went to fit,this is where problems began.
I am running 15mm spacers on the front and when using the supplied wheel bolts which worked fine on the Std cup wheels I have noticed the inner wheel bolt bores appear to have been done up by superman at some point and are elongated depth wise .
I have achieved Std torque setting on 3 bolts just but one will not and appears that it will cause more damage if I try.Also wheel spacer has stuck itself to wheel bore now perhaps a consequence of refurb previously done.
Question is can this be repaired,I am concerned the other wheels may of had the same treatment,and any other options apart from scrapping?
Not happy bunny at the moment.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
The wheel spacer will let off. Just use a small flat screwdriver and gently keep tapping it off. It will release itself.

As for the wheel bolt bore, I've never seen that before. Got any pics? Seems strange it won't torque up. That normally happens with a weak bolt so I'd look I to getting new ones before that snaps off.

Clio 182 cup
Spacer should come off easy I agree but wheel bolts and hub do not appear damaged in any way.
When I get home I will try refitting original wheel to test fit and hopefully eliminate bolt from problem or not.
When viewing bolt heads from face on to wheel you can see on this wheel they are more recessed into the taper.
So possibly Spacer bolt taper could be smaller or as I think someone has wound them in real tight which I think is the real issue.when I finish work I will investigate all avenues ie old wheels, original bolts and without spacers.I do have a mechanical background so I should know (lol)what I am doing.
I guess these wheels could be original so pretty old by now.
Just wondered if someone has had a similar issue and how they resolved it, I am too OLD to ignore it.

Clio 182 cup
Ok ,so took wheel off and checked bolt hole bores and the offending wheel is definitely slightly drawn in as if having been over tightened at some time and also centre bore would not fit over rear disc hub without a bit of tidying and did jam onto front spacer!
Decided to swap from front to rear on both sides and offending wheel torqued up ok with std bolts.
Fronts torqued up ok with spacer bolts but I did go carefully,incrementing torqued value in steps to feel any untoward movement and all was ok.obviously something to monitor,perhaps an odd wheel was used to make up a set at some point.
I did take photos but none were good enough but I did look at all eight wheels in my posession and all had some kind of visible wear to bolt hole tapered surfaces.13 years is a lot of loosening and tightening I guess,another lesson learned.

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Just to make sure I'm understanding correctly, on one of your wheels, the bolts go in further than on the others?
If so, it could be that 1 of your wheels is 172 Cup offset ET38, and the other three are 182 Trophy offset (ET45 from memory) or vice versa. It might be that on the Cup wheels they drilled the bolt bores deeper to give the same width of metal on the hub face (if that makes sense).
I would be very surprised indeed if someone managed to do up a bolt tight enough to deform the wheel by that much without snapping the bolt, cracking the wheel, or causing some other visible damage to the wheel.
Anyway, the best way to check my theory is to look on the inner rim of the wheel, there is a little embossing that tells you the width and the offset. The width should be the same on your wheels regardless, but the offset may well be different.
All the best
James

Clio 182 cup
Good point I will check later.wheels have been refurbished and not easy to see original markings.
One wheel is different, this wheel would not fit over rear disc bore and front spacer bore, this wheel could of been drawing itself on to the hub as I tightened it up hence the torque setting problem.
I have since tidied this up and all is now good.Bolt holes on this wheel are more recessed , which is what prompted my first post.
Joys of Renault?

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Did the wheel that would not fit over the hub spigot have a spigot ring in? Often plastic spigot rings are a little undersize and are tight on the hub spigot when you put them on. If the odd wheel has a spigot ring, then it isn't off of a Renault car, and is an aftermarket wheel purchased from Speedline separately, presumably to replace a damaged wheel at some point.
The Turini wheels seem to cause a lot of hassle for people, getting mismatched sets of Cup and Trophy wheels. It's all easily avoidable stuff, but a lot of people seem to think a wheel is a wheel, without having a quick google and looking up what to check before buying.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Or if its been refurbished the spigot bore may well have a coat of paint or powder coat on. If you have a trophy turini as one of the set try measuring from the mounting face to the back of the wheel rim, if one is different it will be obvious then.

Clio 182 cup
There was some paint on the bore which I removed.
The wheels came of a 172, I have yet to see the owner and discuss.

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
The wheels were only fitted as standard to 172 Cups, and 182 Trophies. If they have come off a standard 172, or 182/182 Cup, they have been retrofitted. That said, a fair few Cups/Trophies won't have a factory matching set on, I know at least one of mine is from another 172 Cup, since I bent a wheel in a pothole. The Turinis are not the most robust wheels.

Clio 182 cup
Thanks for all the advice ,certain things make sense now.
Great forum this ,much more knowledgeable,than previous bmw experience