ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

TURNING YOUR CORDLESS DRILL INTO A POLISHER.

RenaultSport clio 172 CUP
Just been on the Clean your Car web site and noticed that they are selling an adapter to turn your cordless drill into a polisher.

Sounds like an intersting option.

Would this be a better at removing scratches than using a PC.

Same movement as a rotary with less power so should be safer.

maybe not enough power to have any effect???

Anyone tried this???

106 GTi
Drills a rule spin to fast even compared to a rotary. Not seen the kit so can't comment to much. Have seen them for scratch repairs would not like to do a whole car with one.

H22A7 Accord Type R
lol my drill bends washers and snaps screws when i fix wiring cabinets to the wall, not something i would want to take near my car

ST
No chance!!! Ask al what happened to his mates dad's BM! lol

Knows...

Last summer,

Dads mate had this 'bright' idea one day that he was going to polish his met black 330ci coupe with the 'polishing' pad that came in a pack of attatchments that he got with his dewalt cordless drill...

(Please note the 'polishing' pad tied onto the metal backing plate with string)

Put on some SRP by hand, left it for a bit, cracks out the cordless drill with said 'polishing' pad...yeah this seems to be going ok, so he cranks the rpm up a little, sh!t the bed, 'polishing' pad comes flying off the solid metal backing plate, oh yesh...3/4 of the bonnet back to the bare metal, a week in the body shop and £500 later tought him a lesson...needless to say he's booked my pc services this year for just after FCS.

Be warned kids, dont f**k around with cordless drills! :nono:

Alan

I was thinking of using it to remove the odd scratch that the PC won't touch not doing the whole car.

The adaptor enables you to fit the PC backing plate to your drill so no need for string and no solid metel backing plate (what was he thinking)?????

As it spin faster that a rotary would you be at more risk of burning though the clear coat.

106 GTi
Danger of paint burn is one thing, inducing holograms into the paint is another, I would think getting a prefect high gloss finish from it at the speeds it will run at will be difficult.

If you have a PC, just use that and a 4 inch pad spot pad to sort the defects!

I have a PC but was looking for something with a bit more cutting power however I have just purchased a 5"Menzerna cutting pad and some car lack 68.

I have'nt tried using a cutting pad or a comound yet so im hoping this combo will give me better results.

Rich:What would you recommend.

106 GTi
The Menzerna Pad is quite firm, though I still think for sorting deeper marks a 4 inch spot pad is better for targeting individual marks.

Carlack 68 is a chemical paint cleaner will do little to no defect correction.

Cutting Pad and Poorboys SSR 2.5 or Menzerna Intensive Polish both work well for defect removal. Then you could step up to Menzerna Powergloss if need be, use with care though - but IMO the latter is probably safer than the drill route.

The Menzerna Pad is quite firm, though I still think for sorting deeper marks a 4 inch spot pad is better for targeting individual marks.

Carlack 68 is a chemical paint cleaner will do little to no defect correction.

Cutting Pad and Poorboys SSR 2.5 or Menzerna Intensive Polish both work well for defect removal. Then you could step up to Menzerna Powergloss if need be, use with care though - but IMO the latter is probably safer than the drill route.

Rich: Im confused bought this car lack 68 from clean your car.com and it surpose to be a compound for removing defects and scratches.

I think car lack is the company name not the product??

106 GTi
Arg right - Carlack is the brand yes indeed.

When people refer to the Carlack 68 it normally means there polish/paint cleaner which is like Klasse AIO

I guess you got the swirl remover or polishing paste then ? Not used either but there well liked on other forums.

When people refer to the Carlack 68 it normally means there polish/paint cleaner which is like Klasse AIO

I guess you got the swirl remover or polishing paste then ? Not used either but there well liked on other forums.

Cheers for the advise mate will let you know how it goes.

When the rain finally stops,it's times like this I wish I had a garage.

106 GTi

Cheers for the advise mate will let you know how it goes.

When the rain finally stops,it's times like this I wish I had a garage.

Nice one - Was nice here tonight but beer and curry seemed more tempting than polishing the lower half of my car, will regret that when it rains all weekend now though lol! Need a garage big enough to work on the car in.

Cant wait to see your wee face at FCS, it been toooo long!!!

Only reason I am going ...