ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

TV experts - new purchase

the samsung LED tv's really do have an amazing pic, thinking my next one might be one.

I've been reading today that their 50+ plasmas are better value. Apparently the LED lit panels don't have especially black blacks, and that the auto dimming LEDs feature can't be fully disabled. Mostly just people's opinions though. I'm sure the average person would be happy. I want a Kuro SO badly. They're difficult, if not impossible, to get hold of now though. Even if you can find one, they're fetching top dorrar :(

I know what you mean, mine field out there !

The Sony Bravia is a, KDL40S5500 or a KDL40V5500, or the same, but a KDL40W5500. Same looking TV, but different specs.

As for Panasonic, i'll have to get the model numbers.
Anyone know about these ones at all ? I've been doing some reading, but if anyone has one etc, Thanks.

Sometimes Currys/PC World etc change the model number very slightly so if you try and price match from the net they can say it's a different model..

the autodimming can be disabled in the service menu according to avforums.

Indeed it can, but according to those same forums, it's never fully disabled. I've also read various things about black issues, and backlight bleeding. However, this is the internet, where some people don't like the Nissan GT-R...it's all relative.

I'm sure they're an epic TV and I'm still considering one. However, it seems there are better options/compromises out there for the same money if you're even a slight videophile. Some people recommend Samsung's own plasmas over them.

The trouble with AVF is they will always find fault with something. No matter what it is. If you read on that place for long enough you'll never actually buy anything.

Agreed. However, there's no denying that it's a good place to take a base opinion from. We're the same with Clios on here TBH.

Of course. I looked on there a fair bit when I was researching but in the end you just need to make a decision and splash some cash.

I'm just bitter that I chose my Panasonic over an 09 Kuro based on size, and now wish I'd gone bigger, but can't get a Kuro :(

^ Lol, it's looking that way now.
Sometimes Currys/PC World etc change the model number very slightly so if you try and price match from the net they can say it's a different model..
I won't be buying from either of those dude, they get can't near to the prices I can (I guess they would on a price match) but I hate both shops anyway (mainly because they employ retards)

The trouble with AVF is they will always find fault with something. No matter what it is. If you read on that place for long enough you'll never actually buy anything.
Ain't that the truth !! I've just spent ages looking on there & other places at reviews. You are so right about not actually buying anything if you read too much.

I bought mine from PC World purely so I could take it back if there was any problems.

I didn't want the hassle of having to package one up, courier it off etc etc.

I bought mine from PC World purely so I could take it back if there was any problems.

I didn't want the hassle of having to package one up, courier it off etc etc.
I've got a Richer Sounds up the road & they seem very competitive, happy days :) if it goes wrong, they can have it back.

Go cry to your momma!
Toyota are the biggest car manufacturer in the world, but i still would not buy one;)

Panny Plasmas still rule, for quality/value.

Listen to the man..Panna all the way :)

You should pick up a decent 1080i/720p for your money.

(not looked at the price of 37", you may get a 1080p)

dk

911 GTS Cab
i think with any tv these days you get a good one or a bad one, it's just the luck of the drawer.

A lot suffer from patchy backlighting these days and bleed.

Problem is, because you know about these things now, as soon as you get the tv you will try your hardest to look for these things in the hope you don't have them, then when you do you will never be able to take your mind or eyes of it again.

That's what is holding me back from buying a new tv at the moment, as the one i have, as small as it is (32"), and only being 720p, its actually faultless after 3+ years

^ tbh having read lots on the AV forum, i'll not really notice the stuff they mention, most on there are proper geeks !

I only looked to see what they said, all they've done is fill my brain with geek stuff :dapprove:

how bout a really thin tv
Xinhua reports that LG Display has developed what it calls the "world's thinnest LCD panel," measuring only 0.102-inches thick. Labeled as the "Extreme Slim," the LCD panel uses LG Display's propriety optical film technology and an ultra-thin, edge-lit light emitting diode backlighting system.

"Through the development of the world's thinnest LED LCD TV Panel, LG Display demonstrated its ability to lead customer trend in the high resolution and slim design market," Chung In-jae, LG Display's Chief Technology Officer and Executive Vice President told local media.

According to the report, LG Display's new 42-inch Extreme Slim weighs less than 8.8 pounds and offers a native 1080p resolution. It also provides a tasty 120 Hz refresh rate to reduce annoying burring via fast movements, and to increase overall picture detail. Xinhua added that the new display takes the "thinnest" crown away from Samsung Electronics, whose "Needles Slim" LCD panel measures just 0.15-inches thick.

The company plans to display the Extreme Slim LCD panel next month at the 2010 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

,L-C-234048-3.jpg

That look quite cool. I'm sure LG stuff is good etc, but i'm not keen on their name (much rather go Sony or someting, then moan lol)

I'm probs going with the Sony Bravia V version I mentioned. If I can get down the shop again without stacking it i'll be buying it.

That look quite cool. I'm sure LG stuff is good etc, but i'm not keen on their name (much rather go Sony or someting, then moan lol)

I'm probs going with the Sony Bravia V version I mentioned. If I can get down the shop again without stacking it i'll be buying it.

How much u wanna spend, i went for W, the latest of the 2 was around £700 with 0%

I can get the W for £600, I'll be buying it out right. The V one is £570 iirc, they are 37" though, 40 might be that bit too big.

Is the W one a good tv ? Most seem to favour the V one. Tbh though i'll not notice the difference.

In most reviews they say the opposite though:S the W is apparently better for sports, but tbh i'm not fussed on sports. A lot i've read don't seem to rate the W one that highly, my brain bogged down with it all now !:(

I'm in Essux dude, cheers for the offer much appreciated. The shops are sold out (one's literally just up the road) so i'll have to wait til next week to see it.

- RM, knowsit, luckily (well sort of) they are sold out. I reckon 40" would be just the thing, can a tv be too big ? Lol ;)

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Dude, you need to stop thinking like that. Right now. If you don't, a month after you get your new machine you're going to be f**king gutted. Don't say you weren't warned.

The truth, whatever size you think you need go one bigger.

We went for a 42 after initially thinking a 32 would do (wtf were we thinking) and then a 37.

Now if a 50 would have fit then it'd have been great, but it wouldn't have gone properly in the position it needed to be in so stuck to the 42.

I'm in Essux dude, cheers for the offer much appreciated. The shops are sold out (one's literally just up the road) so i'll have to wait til next week to see it.

- RM, knowsit, luckily (well sort of) they are sold out. I reckon 40" would be just the thing, can a tv be too big ? Lol ;)

lol it was £30 extra to go from the 37" to the 40", all men would do the 40" better value for money init.