ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

TV Media Player Needed

Skoda Fabia vRS
My parents don't have a smart TV, my dad is now retired and likes watching films and TV series, is their anything I can buy him that will connect to his TV via HDMI that will play mkv's etc off memory sticks ?

Clio Trophy
You could buy him a google chrome stick, I don't think you will be able to play downloaded content with out some sort of.media center

2007 clio dynamique
Some of the android boxes on eBay have sdcard slots , i have used one but not for that purpose , the quality was pretty good though and being android I'm sure it would play the file type no problem

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
You have a few options of media centre - amazon fire stick, raspberry pi with kodi, android tv box. But most of them work better when you have a server to hold your files. Plus it can get a bit "techy" - not to mention the firestick doesn't have a USB port to plug in to anyway (it has micro USB, but that's for power). So i'd ignore the above suggestion to use one of those.

A PS3 as listed above would work, but you would need ps3 media server running on a pc on the network to transcode mkv files.

in all honesty if you are set with the usb stick route, you are probably best just buying a cheap smart TV, so it's plug and play.

DCi
Depending on budget and technical ability

I built a small PC - specifically choosing all components with no fans so it's silent in the living room

I installed plex media server on the PC

I have a NAS elsewhere in the house as big capacity disks needed moving parts

I also have an Apple TV - if you Google plex connect - you can install a hack to turn the Apple TV trailers app into a plex client

Disadvantage - cost / complexity
Advantage - can be used with an Apple TV remote and very easy for the user

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
Depending on budget and technical ability

I built a small PC - specifically choosing all components with no fans so it's silent in the living room

I installed plex media server on the PC

I have a NAS elsewhere in the house as big capacity disks needed moving parts

I also have an Apple TV - if you Google plex connect - you can install a hack to turn the Apple TV trailers app into a plex client

Disadvantage - cost / complexity
Advantage - can be used with an Apple TV remote and very easy for the user
couldn't you have installed plex on your NAS, negating the need for the small PC?

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Roku players are awesome, very easy to use, IIRC you have to convert MKV files to play though.

It's all I ever used before I stopped downloading films.

DCi
couldn't you have installed plex on your NAS, negating the need for the small PC?
it's just a mybooklive so not in this case plus I don't want hard drives spinning in the living room
I use the pc for streaming football on the tele amongst other things so it's handy

although I don't like having a nas with 1 disk so probably will change it soon

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
I think the point is being missed here. The OP wants to give his dad a usb stick with mkv's on. So all this talk of ROKU boxes/PLEX/NAS is a waste of time lol.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
I think the point is being missed here. The OP wants to give his dad a usb stick with mkv's on. So all this talk of ROKU boxes/PLEX/NAS is a waste of time lol.

Some of the android boxes have USB ports for storage etc, so they would be able to do what the OP wants.

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
Some of the android boxes have USB ports for storage etc, so they would be able to do what the OP wants.

True. However the people suggesting those options are talking about converting files to play, streaming and the like.

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
  Fiesta ST-2 Finsport
I use mede8er players. Mede8er and dune are pretty much the standard for stand alone players for mkv and BD iso's. Play from nas or usb, support for 3d/hd audio etc.