ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

TV under £850 - good 55" 1080p or low end 4K?

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
I've been looking at upgrading to 55" and was going to wait until autumn to see what 4k's are about then but we've had our 42" 3 years now so eager to go bigger. I've seen the Sony Bravia KDL55W829 getting excellent reviews for it's picture quality and seeing it in John Lewis they are justified. But the smart features (which I will barely use) aren't so good/are outdated. So is there anything out there over 42" 4K worth looking at, and is upscaling decent at this price point at all? The majority of content watched will be downloaded full 1080p or above rather than terrestrial and watching sport isn't a priority, but I do a bit of gaming.

I have the 55W829, had it since July last year (think I paid £1,150 after cashback).

I think it's a great TV, it's the first LCD/Edge lit LED TV I've owned, coming from only Plasmas. But overall it's decent (barring very, very minimal clouding at the bottom of the screen in jet black scenes).

I added some LED lights to the rear this year, which massively improved blacks imo.

I use mine for 40% TV (Sky HD), 40% downloads (1080p TV shows/Movies) and 20% gaming (Xbox One).

16008517818_f3ac26fb55_b.jpg

16195387261_8ec621acdc_b.jpg

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I have the 55W829, had it since July last year (think I paid £1,150 after cashback).

I think it's a great TV, it's the first LCD/Edge lit LED TV I've owned, coming from only Plasmas. But overall it's decent (barring very, very minimal clouding at the bottom of the screen in jet black scenes).

I added some LED lights to the rear this year, which massively improved blacks imo.

I use mine for 40% TV (Sky HD), 40% downloads (1080p TV shows/Movies) and 20% gaming (Xbox One).

Do you have more details on the rear backlight?

2014 Focus Titanium
I think I'd be tempted with a 4K TV for that price. When I last looked a couple of months back there were some available that get decent reviews for around the £1k mark

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
Decided to go for it, £779 in John Lewis, with a £114 stand free (which will be going on ebay for whatever I can get for it). I'm liking the idea of the lightberry as well (for films, not all the time). Only "problem" is three of the speakers from my Onkyo 5.1 have nowhere to live now, KEF replacements on the cards :smile:.

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
I'm well impressed with it, smart functions are better than expected as well. The picture from my Panasonic LED was hardly terrible but the blacks on this are a lot better and it deals with smoke/fog/clouds so much better. I found it a bit wobbly when secured to the stand but it is pretty minimalist for this size so I tethered the TV to the back of the unit as per the instructions.

Any recommendations on settings? I had a quick scout around but not seen much other than reducing the gamma to help saturation of reds which seems to be the only thing people mark it down on picture wise.

MK2 PH2 1.2 16V
I'm tempted by that Sony, I was looking at the LG 55LB700V but for £80 more you can get the 5 year warranty from JL.

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
Just to update it's now down to £699 in John Lewis (no free stand). Managed to get a price match as was within 28 days so after selling the stand it's only cost £660 :smile:. That means we'll move to a decent 4k in 2 or 3 years when the content is more established and it's more money towards the amp, cables and speakers.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63

Didn't you used to have a Panny VT50?

How do you find the two compare?

6/468 17poo
Hows the 55w829? its currently on John Lewis for £650 and i am in the market for a new tv, is there any point in going for a 4k tv yet?

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
That Lightberry is so awesome, Gf says no 'it'll give me a headache'
Not that I'd pay for it anyway.

The Sony etc here do look good.

Has anyone bought a lower end 4k though? If I'm buying new I might as well get 4k

I want to get one as I've mounted our 42" on wall in the back sitting room along with a pioneer sound bar (now titled the cinema room, lol), which leaves us with the poxy spare 32" in the living room which looks tiny in this room!

Any recommendations before I buy the cheapest, largest 4k? [emoji5]
50 is probably big enough.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Haven't bothered with 4k so order the JL deal.

Gf did it today whilst I was at work, Hope it's decent.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Have you got it yet? Presume you went for the Sony did you pay 650?

No I didn't go Sony, I went LG as I like to keep my same brands and have an LG surround sound.

Mine gets delivered Friday morning, LG 49" LED, Smart TV for £499.

I hope it's good [emoji53]

@C.J What's the setup for those led lights? They just usb powered strip lights?

Looks great and fancy trying it on my tv.

Cheers, no they are mains powered (although you can get an adapter to run from the USB). Here's a topic I did over on AVF: https://www.avforums.com/threads/ambient-bias-tv-lighting-photos-guides-prices-links.1931170/

Some users on there opted for the whiter LEDs, but I prefer the warmer glow. I still have them on now, and I've never turned them off. I couldn't imagine the TV without them.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Got my LG 49LF630V delivered this morning.
Coming from my probably 7 year old TV this is amazing.
Some options/settings are a little slow but picture/setup was easy, very happy for £500