ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What TV? 42"

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Second only to the 'What new car' thread is the 'What new TV' one, and it's my time now... right basically after the best I can get for around £500.

Don't need anything smart related as it'll be running through an Xbox One
Mainly just watch normal TV shows, some gaming and movies (but not many) no sport!
Freeview HD is a must, although does the Xbox One provide this via the Digital TV Tuner?
Not really bothered about 4K atm but I've seen this one in price range...
Been recommended 2013 Sony ones a couple of times so far, why is no one recommended the 2014 ones!?
When do the new sets come out, is it around April? Kind of interested to see what Android TV brings, shall I wait?
Sound quality doesn't bother me as I'll be getting a soundbar too or running my current Aego M speakers
Needs to be good looking with slim arse bezels!

ST1050, 320d
I bought a Panasonic TX42 500B last weekend for £399, seems very good so far but I'm no expert. Plenty of scope to adjust colour settings if you know what you're doing.

Why 42"? Restricted in physical space?

Sony. Think there's a 50" W8/9 model floating around HUKD at that price.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Personally I'd drop down to a 40" and buy a Sony KDL40W605B

Bargain of a tv for what it can do.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
What can it do lol? I would consider 40" though not going bigger than 42" because I'm only moving into a small flat. Bigger than that can way until I actually buy a house :smile:

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Why 42"? Restricted in physical space?

Sony. Think there's a 50" W8/9 model floating around HUKD at that price.
I hope not! I paid the best part of a grand for a 46W9 last year and that was with a huge discount (admittedly from the Sony store)

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
What can it do lol? I would consider 40" though not going bigger than 42" because I'm only moving into a small flat. Bigger than that can way until I actually buy a house :smile:

It's mainly the picture it's just spot on - I had my old Samsung calibrated by a pro and this one was so correct out of the box it didn't need touching.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Went to actually look at some today and I think it's between LG & Sony. Didn't really like the Panasonic sets, which is a shame as I used to sell TV's back in the days and always recommended Panasonic or Pioneer! #thoseplasmadays

I think I'm a bit prejudice against Samsung as I've had problems with a TV and monitor I've owned by them.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I'm waiting now, move into my new place this Friday but all the new TV models come out in 3 weeks so might as well wait and see what they bring... I'm actually considering going up to 46" or 48" now I've measured up properly.

I'm waiting now, move into my new place this Friday but all the new TV models come out in 3 weeks so might as well wait and see what they bring... I'm actually considering going up to 46" or 48" now I've measured up properly.
Have you got permission, though?

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread as my trusty 7 year old 42" LG is on its way out. Starting to get a weird band down one side which goes if i give it a bit of a smack.

Don't really want to spend a fortune. Not too fussed on it being smart as I have the PS4 and a BT Box for anything I need.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
All the main players other than Samsung (so imo, LG, Panasonic & Sony) all have previews up on their websites of what's coming next month if you want to see... Sony haven't got sizes up yet though, whereas the other two have.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
I'd definitely recommend the TV I bought a couple of months a go.

Samsung 40 inch smart TV. Can't remember the exact model but the link is in the other TV thread.

£370 IIRC from richer sounds. I use it mainly for playing PS4 and the picture quality is really good. Can't fault the TV at all, especially for the price.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I'm after the KDL43W755C now, released tomorrow midday... interested to see what Android TV brings although I don't really need it what with it being hooked up to an Xbox One.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Well that TV got delayed... then it was delayed again, again, again, again and last week, again 😧 so gave up on the Sony! Currently heading for a mid-June release, but it'll probably get delayed again lol.

Bought this instead...

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd...g-ue43j5600-smart-43-led-tv-10126331-pdt.html

I bought it Saturday @ £600! Then a few days later it was reduced to £400 lol... however 2 minutes in Currys saw them refund the difference :) wicked TV really happy. Almost exactly half the price of the Sony as well.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Bit of a bump to this thread.
I'm after a new TV in the next couple of weeks, preferably Sony (to match other appliances)around 40-50" would be fine too.

I'm not too clued up on the different specs etc
Seen this one on currys website
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd...3w809cbu-smart-3d-43-led-tv-10124842-pdt.html
Not sure if I would really use the 3D although I do have blu Rays with 3D discs and the ps4 to play them on.

However, there's also this one which seems decent spec too

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd...dl43w755cbu-smart-43-led-tv-10122390-pdt.html

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
Budget could potentially stretch to approx 650....

Cheers
Chris

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I've recently got your first link. It's great. The picture is fantastic on HD stuff.

I'm not "down" with TV's but from my limited knowledge it seems the spec is pretty much unrivalled for the money.

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
What's the smart side of it like too? Is it slow at all?
Have you tried out the 3d on it too?

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
What's the smart side of it like too? Is it slow at all?
Have you tried out the 3d on it too?
Not tried 3d yet. Apparently it's good though from reviews ive read.
The smart side is excellent! I had a Samsung smart TV before and I never used the smart functions as it was so slow. This thing is instant.

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
That's good to hear, think I'll look into that one then
Thanks

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Yeah the second TV doesn't actually exist mate, lol. If you want me to explain I can... but, don't order it!

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I ordered that TV on March 11th, it's delivery was estimated for 25th March.

Every time it gets to the day it was meant to be released, they move it on by a few days. It's been going on the same for 5 months now!

I check the estimated delivery every now and then for a laugh here (you have to add it to basket)

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/w750c-series

Surprise surprise it's now estimated for 5th-6th August :wink:

If you look at your link it says:
Order now. Availability: Dispatched within 2 to 4 weeks
More info
Collect in store unavailable - please check in store

Again... it's been estimating 2 to 4 weeks since March!

The other link you posted says you can have it in an hour.

Crazy innit. So glad I gave up with it after a month and ordered a Samsung lol.

Vectra SRi
That's a strange one! I probably won't get the keys for the new house until late August so I'll be keeping an eye on it!

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
It's strange because that model TV is in a tesco electronics mag, with the option of 43" 50" and 55"
iirc.

Very strange though
I will pop into currys and find out soon

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Interesting thing is, my order with Currys is still under 'pending' status whereas I actually already have my refund. Wonder if it'll just turn up if it ever does get released :p

Vectra SRi
Just called into the Sony Centre and the guy said I could have it by Monday, a bit more expensive at £750 though!

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Well that TV got delayed... then it was delayed again, again, again, again and last week, again 😧 so gave up on the Sony! Currently heading for a mid-June release, but it'll probably get delayed again lol.

Bought this instead...

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd...g-ue43j5600-smart-43-led-tv-10126331-pdt.html

I bought it Saturday @ £600! Then a few days later it was reduced to £400 lol... however 2 minutes in Currys saw them refund the difference :smile: wicked TV really happy. Almost exactly half the price of the Sony as well.
You still finding this TV alright?
Ready to get one now the lounge has been decorated and don't want to spend a fortune.

What are the smart features like? Is the UI ok?Not stupidly slow? They look alright compared to similar TV's in the same price range.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
So I went and bought it. Only issue so far is I can't find Red Bull TV app. I have a small Samsung in the bedroom and it has it on there. The UI is different on both, maybe I need to try to update the system somehow.
Google search just brings up "redbull TV is now on samsung tv's"

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I don't know about that mate I'll check (not at home today)

Only thing that's annoying is not having catch up TV apps yet even though it's advertised as having them... might be the same issue with your Red Bull one. Usually starts very quickly and the UI is fast, but probably 1 in 10 times it'll go slow/jerky for a few seconds after booting up.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah apparently as it's a J series, it's not available just yet but will be soon via a system update, might be the same for the catch up apps.

Are you using it to record? Do you just stick an external hard drive in the USB? Something I haven't looked at yet.

Seems a decent TV for the price though.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
No haven't used recording. Am interested in seeing what formats it plays back over USB though! Haven't got that far yet lol.