ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

TV's - Curved to standard?

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
Going to buy one of these this weekend but am really not sure what to go for?

I'm probably going to buy this one but...
This_zps2f522a40.gif

This is the replacement to the above.
Thisone_zps99db4473.gif

Or is it worth spending lots more on a 4k or is there not too much difference between the first one and this one?
CurveBall_zpsa0d49789.gif

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
If it was me, and I'm not that savvy on latest TV tech, but if I had that sort of money to spend on a TV I'd be going for the 4K one just to 'future proof' myself.

Having said that I've not seen a curved TV nor do I know the benefit it offers

Polo + Micra
i think i'd wanna see the 4k next to the others with the same feeds from different sources/resolutions

as the tv stretching a 1080p signal might look worse than the native 1080p

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
@dk

I've literally not got a clue. 4K can't be bad but for £750 more I'm not sure I'd notice the difference. I still have my 8 year old Samsung.

Yaris Hybrid
I would NOT get the 4K one.

People say "blah blah future proof" and I am as guilty as anyone of saying that in the past.

But in reality by the time we have enough 4k content to justify it your screen will be a peace of s**t with new models having far better colours, contrast, latency and other features that we can't imagine yet.

I mean people bought 1080p TV's when LCD's first came out to "future proof" but by the time there was enough content to justify it those TV's had (relatively) garbage picture quality and were bulky etc. So they end up buying a new TV anyway and getting one that is far better for a fraction of the cost.

Hell for the difference in price between the 1080 and 4k now, you could wait 5 years and buy a brand new 4k screen for that price - so it won't cost you much more. Feck me by then you may get a genuine 144 or 200hz screen which would be awesome for PC gaming and the "smart" aspect of them will be more powerful than many desktops PC's are now. They may even be able to play games having things like the Fire TV built in (and more powerful than PS4) and it may be five years from now there could be a new wireless standard for the video connection.

For me its pure folly and never cost effective to buy any tech for the long term/future proofing, or at least anything over 3 years ahead.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
^ Totally agree, 4K isn't worth it at the moment, there just isn't enough content. No TV is future proof, as with most technology the game is forever changing.

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
I would NOT get the 4K one.

People say "blah blah future proof" and I am as guilty as anyone of saying that in the past.

But in reality by the time we have enough 4k content to justify it your screen will be a peace of s**t with new models having far better colours, contrast, latency and other features that we can't imagine yet.

I mean people bought 1080p TV's when LCD's first came out to "future proof" but by the time there was enough content to justify it those TV's had (relatively) garbage picture quality and were bulky etc. So they end up buying a new TV anyway and getting one that is far better for a fraction of the cost.

Hell for the difference in price between the 1080 and 4k now, you could wait 5 years and buy a brand new 4k screen for that price - so it won't cost you much more. Feck me by then you may get a genuine 144 or 200hz screen which would be awesome for PC gaming and the "smart" aspect of them will be more powerful than many desktops PC's are now. They may even be able to play games having things like the Fire TV built in (and more powerful than PS4) and it may be five years from now there could be a new wireless standard for the video connection.

For me its pure folly and never cost effective to buy any tech for the long term/future proofing, or at least anything over 3 years ahead.

So what would your choice be?

Yaris Hybrid
So what would your choice be?

I'd go for a FLAT 1080p screen.

I believe curved to be a gimmick. With the failure of 3D companies are trying to find some other gimmick to get people who already own perfectly good TV's to upgrade. They want to maintain the same churn/surge that they benefited from when everyone upgrade from CRT's. It's utter b*llocks in my opinion.

I wouldn't bother paying more for gesture control or smart features at the moment as I have other options that do it better. I'd just get the best picture quality per pound.

Read the reviews, ignore ratings based on smart features or 3D quality, just look at which have the best contrast, blacks etc for the money.

This man speaks alot of sense ^^^^^^^^^^

I was at the faraday lecture in 1989 when the bbc showed us hdtv , and that took years to get mainstream content. Then 10 years later i was working for the first company to have a network to take hd broadcast content over fibre around europe , that again too another 10 years and many companies going under to get to hd content on broadcast tv....... i would say 4k is another 5 to 7 years off mainstream , and due to to p**n industry which has been a big influence on what wins through has shunned it

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
I'd go for a FLAT 1080p screen.

I believe curved to be a gimmick. With the failure of 3D companies are trying to find some other gimmick to get people who already own perfectly good TV's to upgrade. They want to maintain the same churn/surge that they benefited from when everyone upgrade from CRT's. It's utter b*llocks in my opinion.

I wouldn't bother paying more for gesture control or smart features at the moment as I have other options that do it better. I'd just get the best picture quality per pound.

Read the reviews, ignore ratings based on smart features or 3D quality, just look at which have the best contrast, blacks etc for the money.

Thats what I thought and I guess the Samsung 55inch 8000 series is a pretty good starting point.

Look at the processors each run for the smart system and then look at picture quality , the 8000 is the top due to features like hand gesture and not nessarsarly better screen or processor

If i remember rightly the 6500 has the same processor and screen but less in features you may not use

For alot less cost

I'd buy an outgoing VT65 plasma. Rinses any LCD tech for pure image quality. Noisy, hot, heavy and prone to image retention, but still better than anything from Korea.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
FLAT

I have just this weekend bought;

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd...e46f8000-smart-3d-46-led-tv-21277175-pdt.html

we went to John Lewis beforehand to look. They had one of those curved screens. I asked the salesman why a curved screen was necessary or better. He came up with some reasons but it was weak, the argument was weak and I couldn't understand the premium price.

Im no techno geek but (from the shop it hasn't been delivered) the picture is fantastic and it has all the features I can certainly think of. You can get it cheaper than on that link if you buy online/price match.

This is doesn't help I'm sure but as someone who was recently in the market perhaps it's useful.

Renault Clio MK3
Definitely get the flat, maybe it's just me but with how good the quality of TVs and programmes currently are, it's easy to live with.

One of my other needs as you have is freesat and freeview tuners onboard biggest drawback with modern panels screens is they all need a sound system be it full surround or a soundbar

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
I'd buy an outgoing VT65 plasma. Rinses any LCD tech for pure image quality. Noisy, hot, heavy and prone to image retention, but still better than anything from Korea.

FLAT

I have just this weekend bought;

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd...e46f8000-smart-3d-46-led-tv-21277175-pdt.html

we went to John Lewis beforehand to look. They had one of those curved screens. I asked the salesman why a curved screen was necessary or better. He came up with some reasons but it was weak, the argument was weak and I couldn't understand the premium price.

Im no techno geek but (from the shop it hasn't been delivered) the picture is fantastic and it has all the features I can certainly think of. You can get it cheaper than on that link if you buy online/price match.

This is doesn't help I'm sure but as someone who was recently in the market perhaps it's useful.

Thanks mate. I've seen the 55inch 8000 for £1400 from here. Not 100% sure they are legit as I've never heard of them.

http://www.123av.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=1237

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
xx

Really though? LED is the way forward no? Whenever Ive been into stores the LED looks soooo much better. To my eyes anyway.

Honestly mate, if you're after picture quality you need to get a plasma! I have a VT50 and even though it's nearly 2 years old it's still epic in every way.

Have a look at some reviews of the VT65 and make you're own mind up.

All TV will have faults though, bare that in mind.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

This, although the Smart TV UI is hideous.

Curved is pointless, as is 4K right now.

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
This, although the Smart TV UI is hideous.

Curved is pointless, as is 4K right now.

Thats exactly my thinking. 4k is the HD. Sky had 1 HD channel for like 12 months.

I'll look into VT65 and the Samsung I wanted.

The guy in Richer Sounds yesterday said the new Samsung 7000 which is out this month is better than the 8000 and to get that. Its only £100 more than the 8000 is currently but with also identical screen but with much better hardware.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Listen to the VT65 recommendations.. That's what I have got and the picture quality is immense. It does make a little bit of noise as it has a fan, although I can't hear it at normal watching distances. It is heavy and it does get hot and use more power than LCD's.. but f**k me I wouldn't change it.

flat is good if you are the only one watching directly in front of the tv but for other people viewing from different angles the picture gets worse that's why curved is good as no matter what the viewing angle the picture looks the same to everybody

SQ5
flat is good if you are the only one watching directly in front of the tv but for other people viewing from different angles the picture gets worse that's why curved is good as no matter what the viewing angle the picture looks the same to everybody

That makes no sense whatsoever, the actual viewing angle is less on a curved TV.

+1 to above, don't bother future proofing.

4k is an interesting one, because there's no proper standard that supports it yet. HDMI 1.4 allows for 4096x2160 @ 24fps, but not enough for 4K 3d.

I'd wait at least until it's more mainstream, by then HDMI 2.0 should be out and then the issue above will be sorted.

And +1 to that lol, curve is bad either way. If you are sat to the side, whether the tv is convex or concave you will still see less than if it is flat because of the curve.

SQ5
A normal flat TV can do about 170 degree usually, from 180 degree that's not bad.

As soon as you buy a curved screen the actual screen is already 160 degree so that's ballsed you up straight away, if it was curved outwardly it would be fine!