ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Two stage accelerator on cup...

With my Cup, when I press the accelerator it goes steadily to the floor and stops. However, once it feels like its stopped travelling if I press it a little harder it gives another 5mm or so, all-of-a-sudden. Its almost like somethings got stuck behind the pedal which gives in when you press really hard. I cant see anything, and the sensation is there whether the engines on or not. Power is delivered throughout the travel, including the extra 5mm.

It makes me feel like I can drive fast (normal travel of pedal) or really fast (by pressing that little bit harder and accessing a quasi-turbo-bit-of-boost).

So, has anyone else got a sticky two stage accelerator?

Ive got it on my 172 as well. MY dealer said that it was for the cars in europe and their cruise control - though i have heard many things about it.

do you find that extra bit ever brings more petrol out or is it just there?????

my williams does exactly that except it happens about halfway down, ive always wondered why it does it i was gonny post something about it but couldnt put it into words to describe it lol

Rangerover Supercharged

Hey be carefull I was flying down the local national speed limit road the other night and gave it the extra push your talking about and the accelerator pedal got stuck quite a scary experiance when its on full throttle and your trying to slow down for a corner.

Clio 172 Ph2

Ah you see now I always assumed this little kick down bit was like it is on automatic cars. Where they drop down a gear to give extra power when overtaking etc, I assumed (heard?) that on the 172, it goes to a pre-recorded air/fuel map and gives you maximum power.

I thought that was what caused the problem when you get an I/K fitted, the normal travel in the pedal is ok because the ECU can sort out the extra air intake via the sensors but when in kickdown mode, the maps are way off whats actually happening and things screw up.

Basically, I never really get into the kickdown area...it sounds like ive been doing it all wrong and should just treat it like a normal stage of the pedal movement.

Thoughts anyone?!

Renault Laguna Coupe

I dont think the click does anything at all. The ECU senses when the throttle is wide-open - its not the click that tells it.

Clio 172 Ph2

Right, im gonna be testing that out in an hours time when I drive home from work!

People on the M25 had better watch out! ;-)

If anyone is on it and hears a hoover behind them, its probably just me with my Viper!

On a valver and therefore williams etc, the throttle has one small paddle and a larger one, which open in that order, so at least on mine the feeling half way is the small one openeing fully and starting to open the larger one.

Someone who knows what they are talking about would be able to explain that better, probably not the same thing on the 172 anyway.

The fuel is electronically controlled, but the throttle is controlled by how far you put your foot down, completely mechanical with regards to the air going in - the electrics just sense what position youve put the throttle in, how much air is flowing etc and do all the rest from there.

BMW Z4 2.5si Sport

yeah got that on my Williams. When we took off the induction kit to clean it, u could see the 2 stage throttle there. One small flap, which is the first stage, then a much bigger flap that is when u push the accellerator pedal all the way down.

Thats the one! it isnt really any sudden surge in power cos they open in perfect order, the bigger one doesnt suddenly fly open or anything like that, so the feeling in the pedal must be from the cam action that opens it or whatever.

had this on my 205 xs, you could have your foot 99% on the accelerator but you really had to nail the pedal to the floor to get full throttle.

Blimey - I didnt expect this to be so widespread - thought it was just a problem with mine not being a smooth throttle. Whats even more weird is that I only discovered it about a month ago, so for the first 2 months of Cup ownership Id only been going at 95%.

Rangerover Supercharged

Interesting points, have you noticed that there is a plastic cap underneath the accelerator pedal on the Cup, has anyone removed this to see the result, if they do have a 2 stage induction would this make a difference, has anyone got the bottle to start chopping away at their cup.

its not 2 stage at all like i said i did have the click now i dont its gone not there any more it never made it faster and now its not there its not any slower its nowt to worry about

7.6cc :D

Quote: Originally posted by poundrick on 20 June 2003

Interesting points, have you noticed that there is a plastic cap underneath the accelerator pedal on the Cup, has anyone removed this to see the result.
Renault told me thats the stop the pedal getting wedged in the carpet when you accelerate, so i dont suggest you remove it :confused:

2012 WRX Waggon

mine has this "click" at the bottom of the accelerator pedals travel.

apparently its a switch that Renaultsport fit, just incase u want to install Nitrous.

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quote: Originally posted by visceral on 20 June 2003

mine has this "click" at the bottom of the accelerator pedals travel.

apparently its a switch that Renaultsport fit, just incase u want to install Nitrous.
LOL yeah, like the nice gap they left in the engine bay for the supercharger :confused:

Mk2 172

Quote: Originally posted by poundrick on 20 June 2003

Interesting points, have you noticed that there is a plastic cap underneath the accelerator pedal on the Cup, has anyone removed this to see the result, if they do have a 2 stage induction would this make a difference, has anyone got the bottle to start chopping away at their cup.
The plastic cap will just unscrew, and is not attached to a switch or anything.

You could turn it into a NOS switch by connecting one "switch" wire to the metal accellerator pedal and attaching a large metal washer to the top of the plastic cap. You could then use the metal washer to connect the other "switch" wire too. Or you could use it to trigger some neons.

320d M Sport

i was lookin at viscerals the other day, certainly is weird, mine doesnt have it...... think ive got the 3 stage accelerator :D

Rangerover Supercharged

Do Not Remove The Plastic Cap From Under The Accelerator Pedal

I had a f**king scary experience on Saturday while driving through the centre of Bristol, after removing the cap you can really feel a difference in acceleration the car was more responsive and the pick up was a lot quicker but the pedal does get jammed in the carpet or any mats you may have in the car, and believe me when it gets stuck on full throttle and your trying to slow down the only way to stop is to dip the clutch and knock it out of gear slam on the brakes and reach down into the footwell to realease the pedal, I sh*t myself and looked a complete Knob Head.

ICE'dberg MK2 172

Heres what I think......

Basically the pedal operates a potentiometer (volume control type knob sort of thing) (as its fly by wire) and when you press hard you reach the end of the rotation. Then if you press harder (or turn the volume knob further) after it has reached its end point then something is going to give...IE the pot .

So I think the click you are feeling is the overrun safety so as you dont break it.

Chris 172 - so by going past the normal range of the potentiometer, youre effectively turning it all the way up to "11"? Cool.

Anyone know where I can get a "Marshall" sticker, then?

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

the extra click switch is used in cars with cruise control.it serves no purpose in any other cars.

Nope, now come on guys - anyone in the know knows that these pedals are special to the cup and anyone with one on a 172 has changed the pedal to get a bit more out of their car

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Quote: Originally posted by Roamer on 21 November 2003

Nope, now come on guys - anyone in the know knows that these pedals are special to the cup and anyone with one on a 172 has changed the pedal to get a bit more out of their car

PMSL @ Roamer

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Feck me roamer what you doing up at this time. Someone try and stake you through the heart again in your coffin. ;)

hehehehehe yeah theyre really starting to bug me now - Im gonna get central locking fitting to the coffin and the R.A.I.D. feature lol.