ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

type r or 172

i have a 172 but think about puting it in for a civic type r what do you think is the better 1 should i keep the 172 or go for the type r ...HELP!!

what are your reasons for changing your mind ... i am still in the process of deciding what car to get .... i did consider that 172 for a while ... but now i think i am going for the CTR .... it was the build qaulity issue that sort of made my decision... and all the comments on the renault dealers qaulity of service.

Jock

depends which one you like best overall doesnt it and for whatever reasons, nobody else can tell you what car to buy, its a personal thing! unless you worry more about what other people think than what you think yourself!!! :confused:

buy what you think is best

Renault Laguna Coupe

Try them out - dont worry about going back to the garage for more than 1 test drive. Its gonna be yours for a long time so make sure YOU are happy with your choice - dont worry about what anyone else thinks!

If you read his post properly :D he already has a 172, so the question is what are your reasons for wanting to change ??

IMO to change there would have to be some pretty compelling reasons, mainly due to the cost of losing out on what you paid for the 172 and the premium of buying a new CTR.

What are you unhappy about with the 172 that would be solved with the CTR, and what would you lose in the CTR that you have in the 172.

7.6cc :D

I agree, your choice of car is totally individual, although i do fear you may have been dropped on your head at some point :devilish:

Had both and both are great cars. ;) I needed more space and was fed up with the dealers thats why I changed. Very different cars to drive, but I think the CTR suits my driving syle more.

If you have not already had a test drive I would suggest it , I am not going to bang on about VTEC but make sure you get it over 6000rpm!!

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Maybe he is starting a large family and the clio doesnt cope to well so he is going for a fast MPV ?

I had exactly the same awkward decision.

My brother has had a mk1 172 for over a year now and absolutely loved it. As I didnt want to be a copy-cat I considered a CTR, 206 Gti 180, and even second hand subarus, deltas and evos.

After I took I test-drive in a CTR, I like everyone else was mightily impressed with the engine, I loved the alloy wheels and thought the car was brilliant overall. However some bad points are the uncomfortable seats (the back seat is basically a hard bench and the fronts even though they look fantastic are more uncomfortable than the conteaus in my weekend rallycar). The lack of good standard equipment is also a minus point as well as the remarkably high quality but slightly tacky interior.

In the end I opted for a new 172, I basically chickened out. I am however deliriously happy with it (even though it understeers like a ba%^&%d!)

Clio 197

You will take a bath on the depreciation. Hang onto your 172 and who knows what may come along in a few years time. Enjoy what you have for now. Constantly changing for the sake of change makes no economic sense, and in a few years you may be able to get something really special with the money you have saved, reduced insurance, higher eanrning etc....

GR7

Shiny red R32

Have to agree with Jilly and ChavyBoy. If you want space for two or three children and you like the MPV look, then go for the CTR. Dont forget it has the stupid looking, stubby, cripple gearstick, no air con and uncomfortable seats. But if you like cuteness and looks, stick with the 172.

:)

Hahahaha! Stop it with the cripple gear stick thing! I keep giggling like a child whenever I read it! Ive told you before GR, you have to be more Politically Correct - the badger-loving slow-whitted cripple-stick users in their moon mobiles may get angry otherwise...

:):sick::D

GR7

Shiny red R32

My neighbour has a silver one of these Civics and when I am a passenger in it, and I see her using the stubby looking thing which sticks out of the dash, it makes me smile too. Useful if you have short arms I would think.

;)

S2000

To tell you the truth I wouldnt swap my 172 for a CTR. I would also say that if I had a CTR I wouldnt swap it for a 172. There just too similar in performance, I would always encourage a step up in performance. Not always possible I know, but in my opinion it would be a sideways step!

Astra 1.9cdti XP

If you desperately want to change then personally I wouldnt go fot the CTR it would have to be a Leon Cupra R. I think the CTR is highly over rated though its looks are growing on me!

LOL GR!! It certainly can get confusing with one handon the cripple-stick and the other in the fashionable cripple-hook grip on the steering wheel. I am in real trouble when the old dears at the bus stop misktake me for a mini bus as well.....:confused:

CHEERS GUYS FOR ALL YOUR VIEWS ,, I AM GOING TO TEST DRIVE 1 NXT WEEK SO I SHOULD MAKE UP MY MIND AFTER THEN.. I WILL LET YOU NO HOW I GOT ON!!

This is my dilemma too.

Got a Saxo VTS at the moment, but will be changing it early next year. Im going to test drive a 172, Civic Type-R, maybe an Integra Type-R, possibly an Evo. A Focus Cosworth is outside my price range.

So, Im looking for something quicker than a VTS for between £10-14K

Renault Laguna Coupe

Make sure you try a Clio Cup VP - comparable to a CTR in terms of equipment (i.e. little in the way of luxuries), but at a rather more attractive price!

dont think you can compare the CTR to the Cup in terms of equipment all because of its lack of aircon.... the CTR comes with all the saftey features (ABS, EPS and front and side airbags) and the cup doesnt ..... im in the situation where i am going to buy a new car....and the reason that i dont want the cup is because of no ABS.... dont think it is safe to have no ABS on a car with that kind of power.......

FRS Mk3 Red edition

that is when the vtec comes in and brings about a huge grin on your face and scares old people and small animals in the near vacinity.

Quote: Originally posted by black-cat on 01 October 2002

I had exactly the same awkward decision.

My brother has had a mk1 172 for over a year now and absolutely loved it. As I didnt want to be a copy-cat I considered a CTR, 206 Gti 180, and even second hand subarus, deltas and evos.

After I took I test-drive in a CTR, I like everyone else was mightily impressed with the engine, I loved the alloy wheels and thought the car was brilliant overall. However some bad points are the uncomfortable seats (the back seat is basically a hard bench and the fronts even though they look fantastic are more uncomfortable than the conteaus in my weekend rallycar). The lack of good standard equipment is also a minus point as well as the remarkably high quality but slightly tacky interior.

In the end I opted for a new 172, I basically chickened out. I am however deliriously happy with it (even though it understeers like a ba%^&%d!)
I couldnt agree more with you. Just add the building quality of the entire cabin (just awfull), lack of refinement and space although its a middle range car. Compare to mkII 2.0 16v, I believe it has better gear box (better feeling), but lack of torque in low-middle rpms. You have to keep rpms above 5000. That is not good for me....Also the steering wheel give you no feeling despite the fact that it has huge wheels and tires.

S2000

Quote: Originally posted by Jock_071279 on 02 October 2002

dont think you can compare the CTR to the Cup in terms of equipment all because of its lack of aircon.... the CTR comes with all the saftey features (ABS, EPS and front and side airbags) and the cup doesnt ..... im in the situation where i am going to buy a new car....and the reason that i dont want the cup is because of no ABS.... dont think it is safe to have no ABS on a car with that kind of power.......

You shouldnt rely on ABS to stop you. You should know how to stop without it. My ABS never came on in my old 172 therefore if I hadnt had it I would never have locked up either and I havent locked up the cup and if I had I would know how to deal with it.

by reaching abs threshold, one knows where the limits are, by not reaching it, one doesnteth...:)

When the fires too high. the waters too deep, and the pain too great.. you have enough on yer mind.. abs relieves some of it..

so, perhaps you SHOULD rely on it.. when all else fails and the roundabout becomes square....

I must add that, that the cup lack of abs is cost, certainly not performance or making progress.. they screwed up dooooood.. nothing less...

ps......

I would rather have a backup of my system (pc).. than to rely on memory (as in instinct)... me backup will ALWAYS help... lack of it will ALWAYS not HELP !!.

Just pondering.............

and it boils down to being able to drive within the limits of the combination of oneself, the car and the conditions - which is what any good driver can do and does - wot would you all have done if you were driving before there was ABS on cars anyway???

shhhhh now ur scaring me, I dont wanna die!!

someone who has their cup tell me the brakes are good!

whats this competition braking like then?

S2000

Brakes are as good as normal 172 and I havent locked up yet. In fact lighter car = stops quicker hmmm the brakes work better then :D

S2000

Joe, if ya want to find out where the limits of braking are you can always lock up on purpose. (Well not you personally as you have ABS)

S2000

Well... not harshly enough to lock up ;) but yes I have given the car a thrashing and braked to suit :D

I have to agree with the previous comment about the Leon Cupra R!

The wife and I test drove one last week, and although slightly slower than the competition, you get so much refinement and comfort. The build quality is fantastic, just as good as the Golf it is based on. It has 210bhp, 199 lbft torque, but weighs 1370ish kg. It has a six speed box, 323mm front discs with brembo 4-pots, 256mm rear ventilated discs. It also has electronic diff control, traction control, ESP, some other stability thing too. It has all of the VW optional extras as standard. The driveability is good too. Not sure what pressure the turbo runs at, but it has quite a high compression ratio of 9.5, and this means that lag isnt a problem.

Were going back at the weekend, and hopefully ordering one (after another test drive). Just gotta convince the wife that she likes one of the colours (they dont do silver).