ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyre choice - mate bought £35 tyres

BMW M3
My mate has just stuck his car in for new brakes for his 172 and they informed him that his front tyres needed changing. They then placed on two medium budget tyres which cost £35 each (at cost) - its a mate.

I informed him a few weeks ago to buy a pair of Michelin Pilots which obviously cost about £100 more a corner. Regrettably he isn't that keen on his cars so only has my humble opinion and the his mate in the garage to go on.

What are the main points I should tell him bar the grading of the tyre for speed purposes etc and the fact that those tyres are just pants.

Or alternatively, am I being stupid and those tyres chosen will probably be ok? What does everyone else use and why?

T

Clio 172 ff
Price alone doesn't really say much about the tyre, tbh. So, unless we know what exact tyre they fitted to his 172, we can't really say much. People on here rate the PE2's very highly usually, but for moderate road use I'd say it's not necessary to shell out that much money. You can get a decent set of tyres that works reasonably well in wet and dry for much less money.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
what yas think of Pirelli zero nero's

Robert De Niro's are a really good tyre, most top of the range are so theres not really much in it, except when there made for a specific purpose.. mileage, grip, track etc..

avoid all edge to edge directional tyres as they are sh1t and WILL feather, its a design fault hence they dont make them anymore, or will be phased out.

nothing wrong with middle of the range tyres, most are made by the top makers anyway.. there just getting a finger in the middle market pie.

i myself love Toyo's for my gtt and will be running fulda's on my day to day car, the taxi drivers swear by them, best overall tyre for price:)

Uniroyal (Made by Michelin in USA)
Uniroyal (Made by Continental in Europe)
Firestone (made by Bridgestone)
BF Goodrich (Made by Michelin)
Armstrong (Made by Pirelli)
General Tire (Made by Continental)
Kléber (Made by Michelin)
Cooper
Avon (made by Cooper)
Metzeler (made by Pirelli)
Semperit (Made by Continental)
Kelly / Kelly-Springfield (Made by Goodyear)
Hankook (Korean tyre manufacturer)
Kumho (Korean tyre manufacturer)
Toyo (Japanese tyre manufacturer)
Sumitomo (Japanese tyre manufacturer)
Ohtsu (Japanese brand made by Sumitomo)
Taurus (made by Michelin)
Gislaved (made by Continental)
Vredestein (Dutch tyre manufacturer)
Marangoni (Italian tyre maker)
Fulda (made by Goodyear)
Lassa (made by Brisa, a Bridgestone joint venture)
Nokian (Finnish tyre maker)
Falken (Made by Goodyear)

Chocolate Bar™
has he got 15's or 16's?

never ever paid over £35 for a tyre. last set were yoko paradas for 125 supplied and fitted.