ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyre Choice??

Clio 172 cup/Audi A5
Right I've bought myself a 172 cup for a bit of fun & a little project to pass my spare time;). I was after some advice on what size tyres would be best? At the moment it has 195 45 16 on which need replacing, would this be the best profile size?

Arctic Blue 182 FF
I just fitted a set of 172 cup turinis on mine and used 205s as theres little difference in the price to 195s

Clio 172 cup/Audi A5
Cheers guys, would there be any difference in the handling with 205's? I was thinking a set toyo t1r's

I have Eibach sportline springs on non-cup shocks, fine here - not sure how it is on a 172 though, may need to search for that :)

No rubbing at all though - and I run Turinis. (not sure if that helps, but should do with the same offset etc).

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
I'm running 205/45/16 on my 172cup uniroyal rainsport2. Can't knock them and have been amazing in the wet and snow. Not too expensive either so get my vote. Car only gets used on the road though.

ph2 172
I've just had a set of 4 maxxis 195/45/16 MA-Z1's.
They came highly recommended and get great reviews.
Be interesting to see how they perform.
Got them from these guys http://www.tyretraders.com/tyres_home.aspx
Brilliant price and service. Ordered them Thursday morning and they arrived Friday morning.
Less than 200 notes for a set of 4.

Bendunn

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy #24 NimbusR27
Stick with michelins, get the pilot sport 3's Xl, W rated ones with the stiff sidewalls

WRX
I've just had a set of 4 maxxis 195/45/16 MA-Z1's.
They came highly recommended and get great reviews.
Be interesting to see how they perform.
Got them from these guys http://www.tyretraders.com/tyres_home.aspx
Brilliant price and service. Ordered them Thursday morning and they arrived Friday morning.
Less than 200 notes for a set of 4.
Very good for the price of them and last forever. If you're only using the car for road use, they are perfect.

275 Trophy
PE2's not as good in the dry as Yoko Prada Spec 2's or Toyo T1R's IMO. Different story in the wet however, the PE2's are a lot better.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I'm running 205/45/16 on my 172cup uniroyal rainsport2. Can't knock them and have been amazing in the wet and snow. Not too expensive either so get my vote. Car only gets used on the road though.

Another vote here for the Uniroyal Rainsport 2's . As good as the PE2's were imo , especially in the wet .

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I run Hankook V12's on my Turinis and I can't sing there praise enough. Just put some Williams Speedlines on for track use and fitted them with some new PE2's and in the wet I'm impressed.

Yoko Spec 2's are a great tyre but they wear so fast.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
They have a proper soft compound hence the super dry/hot grip. I still find it amazing people can judge the Yokos to be bad in the wet on the road!

I dread to think how people drive in wet conditions.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Flol as Michelin not as good as t1rs in the dry. Dream world.

1. Pzero Nero
2. Pilot sport 3s

Or a vredestein sportrac 3 or ultrac sessantas depending on what's available in either Cliosport size.

I found Pzeros best mileage and grip in wet and dry and cheaper than the Michelins. I was wearing my Michelins down fairly quick for the time they were on.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Sessantas are pound for pound one of the best tyres out there but 17"+ sadly.

I'd fit Barum (budget continental) before i'd fit T1r's.

275 Trophy
I run Hankook V12's on my Turinis and I can't sing there praise enough. Just put some Williams Speedlines on for track use and fitted them with some new PE2's and in the wet I'm impressed.

Yoko Spec 2's are a great tyre but they wear so fast.

I got 13k miles out of the last set of Spec 2's, which for the price I think is pretty good.

What are the V12's like in comparison to the Spec 2's and PE2's, in your opinion?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Spec 2s have been on my old Yellow Puma for probably 3 1/2 years now.

My Dad drives like Miss Daisy but still does a few miles.

All depends on how you drive.

275 Trophy
Yeah I know Gally, and by your own admission you drive like Miss Daisy. TBH, if I was the OP, I'd rather have the opinion of somebody who pushes their car a bit.

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
out of these what would peoples opinon advice to go for i will be needing 4 new tyres in the not so distant future

micheline ps3 - heard mixed reviews
yokoham spec 2 - not sure if as good as michelins
bridgestone potenza re11 - better review than michelin ps3 apparantly

any other top brands...

for driving on road. :eek:

WRX
PZero Nero, Conti SC3, Avon ZV5.
Have had these on mine for road and track use. Personally think the Pirellis are my fave. Avons seem to wear a bit better and are a bit cheaper but don't give quite as good feel.

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
PZero Nero, Conti SC3, Avon ZV5.
Have had these on mine for road and track use. Personally think the Pirellis are my fave. Avons seem to wear a bit better and are a bit cheaper but don't give quite as good feel.

i was going to say the pirellis but heard mixed reviews again :dapprove: thing is with buying 4 i dont want to get it wrong ha

WRX
I know you say for road use but do you drive gently to the speed limit or a bit quicker?;)
If you just drive in the city and average 30mph then there's no point going for the most expensive brands, to not reap their benefits.

WRX
If I didn't go on track then I would probably just go for the Avons. I'm of the age where I buy with my head, not because of peer pressure. They are more than adequate for spirited driving IMO and are about £20 a corner cheaper than the top brands. Bear in mind Avon have been making race tyres for years, so they know what they are doing.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I got 13k miles out of the last set of Spec 2's, which for the price I think is pretty good.

What are the V12's like in comparison to the Spec 2's and PE2's, in your opinion?

I've only just got the PE2's and the weather at present isn't ideal for pushing the Clio around the back roads but I'll let you know my opinion after Bedford.

I normally hate getting involved in these kinds of discussions as tyre choice is too subjective and everyone has differing opinions but the V12's have done me extremely well. Done just over 3k on this set and they've worn well to... just didnt fancy killing them on track.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
If I didn't go on track then I would probably just go for the Avons. I'm of the age where I buy with my head, not because of peer pressure. They are more than adequate for spirited driving IMO and are about £20 a corner cheaper than the top brands. Bear in mind Avon have been making race tyres for years, so they know what they are doing.

Adam, I had the Avon ZZ3 tyres on the 182. I personally would never buy them again. The inside edges were screwed on both front tyres...had tracking done after replacing them and tracking was spot on...couldn't believe how they wore so badly on inside edge. :(

WRX
Should have gone for the 5s mate, honestly think they're really good for road use. Done two trackdays on and 000s of road miles too and still more than half tread left(I've got more middle age ballast than you as well)