ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyre Foam = New Tyre (surely not!!)

BMW M3

I got quite a serious punture today which deflated the tyre in a couple of minutes, and left me relativley stranded. Natrually, as the 182 doesnt come with a spare wheel, I used my supplied tyre foam which actually worked quite well. However, once i manage to get it to my local (good) tyre garage, they said they cant fix tyres once that foam goes in. So after a lot questionaing why, i ended up forking out £140 for a new Exalto as time was not on my side.

My point is this.... surely every time i get a punture and use the foam i dont have to buy a new tyre?

Can anyone enlighten me on this matter?

P.s. Renault tyre foam way over-priced. Halfords for under £6.

Should imagine the foam sticks/welds itself inside the tyres and would take forever to get it all out. So would cost you and them less money to just get a new tyre.

BMW M3

Oh well... i suppose thats the cost of having a fast car. I spoke to a friend earlier who has his own small tyre business and he said the same as above but recons he can sort it out for me, but will take a long time. So yeh, i guess it is more economical for both customer and garage to just get a new one... But £140!!!!

Banana

That tyre foam scoops out relatively easily. Garages are just lazy Baisterds. I hope you took the tyre away with you coz it can be fixed no probs.

Lionel Richie

£140 for a tyre!!!!!!!! christ you paid far too much!!!

we supply them for approx £75 each inc vat and delivery

BMW M3

yeh, all the fast fitting tyre places in Edinburgh were wanting about that much. £140 includes tyre, fitting, alloy wheel balance and new tubless valve + VAT and as i needed it done there and then, i didnt really have a choice. There were some places that were cheaper but didnt have any in stock.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy

i havent used the tyre foam as i dont trust it...

i bought an old spare wheel with a fresh unused tyre on it from my local scrapyard for 25 pounds in case i get a puncture.

fits a treat in the boot.

182 Cup, (2nd one)

Had a huge nail in the side wall of my tyre.

Paid £120 from kwik fit could have got it for less next day but with one car on the road and the chance of it going very flat and left with no car went for the £120. I didnt trust the puncture repair kit. Kept the old tyre as the spare.

Fred what are your details for future tyres

ex Clio 172 owner :(

Give us the number of the garage.

We can phone them up and ask for a price and see if they say £140 to us.

If so, Ill shout Dick Turpin down the phone and hang up. Sniggers.

Im so hard.

Quote: Originally posted by charlie b on 09 June 2005

Had a huge nail in the side wall of my tyre.

Kept the old tyre as the spare.
You are joking right? You have a spare that had a nail in the side wall. Rather u than me mate, they should not be repairable & I wouldnt want to run with that on at all

Quote: Originally posted by Chris1.4RT on 09 June 2005

Im so hard.

LOL^^^

It might be an idea to buy a spare 172 or 182 wheel that you can keep in the garage so at least if you have to use the foam, drive the bugger home, swap wheels, get original tyre sorted, jobs a good un.

BMW M3

Yeh.. i was offered a spare 182 Alloy + Tyre by an ex-clio owner and now regret not taking up his offer.

RenaultSport Clio 172 Mk2

Quote: Originally posted by Freebone on 09 June 2005
i paid £132 for 4 F1s
Go on then...

Yaris Hybrid

What do you reckon Renault would do if when I took it for a service where I knew the fronts would need changing I put a pair of new tyres in the boot and asked them to fit them (obviously prepared to pay for balancing etc). Would they refuse to do it on some BS grounds like "we dont fit tyres that we havent sold in case they are dodgy and blow out and you try to sue us".

Mini Cooper S sport

Im so hard.

PMSL!!

I hope I never get a puncture, I wouldnt even know where to put the jack (well, apart from somewhere under the car, obviously).

I also need to investigate my locking wheel nuts as I have no idea how to get them off!

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Quote: Originally posted by Metallic Black on 09 June 2005
I hope I never get a puncture, I wouldnt even know where to put the jack (well, apart from somewhere under the car, obviously).

I also need to investigate my locking wheel nuts as I have no idea how to get them off!

Jack is useless without his nuts :eek::D

Im so hard.
They could "trace" the call though

Renaultsport 220T

Quote: Originally posted by Metallic Black on 09 June 2005
PMSL!!I hope I never get a puncture, I wouldnt even know where to put the jack (well, apart from somewhere under the car, obviously).I also need to investigate my locking wheel nuts as I have no idea how to get them off! [/QUOTE]

Might be worth your while upgrading your AA Renault Assistance, then you can call them if you get a puncture. :)