ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyre Load Rating & Speed Index

Clio 182 FF
So some of my tyres need replacing, and of-course I'm going to be keeping all four the same brand/model. The one tyre with by far the most tread (5mm and consequently staying!) is an 87W Extra Load, however I understand that the standard tyres they came out the factory with were 83V and that's what the ones being replaced are. I assume that the odd 87W Extra Load was fitted because of a puncture, and the tyre shop could supply stock quicker than a standard 83V (well unless for some reason that corner needs to go faster or take or weight! :rasp:)

So for the tyres I'm replacing, do I get 83V as that's what they came with? Or do I get 87W Extra Load to match the one that's already there, thus making all four the same?

I haven't rung my tyre place yet, but looking online the price difference is a fiver each - so not worth worrying about.

I'm currently thinking 87W Extra Load (to make all four the same), and the fact that they have stiffer sidewalls than the standard 83V shouldn't exactly be a problem.

Opinions?

Clio 182 FF
I imagine it would be a horrible ride with 87 all round.

Hmm, I hadn't thought about that.

Would 87W Extra Load be that much different to 83V to ruin the ride quality?

Equally, is 87W Extra Load that much different to 83V that I need to bother matching them? I've unknowingly been running mismatched with 3x83V and 1x87W Extra Load since I got the car, so if the difference isn't worth worrying about I could just continue like that until the 87W Extra Load needs changing.