ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyre size..205's or 195's?

Octavia VRS
Im rolling on a set of Goodyear Eagle F1's at the moment. They came with the car when I bought it a few months ago and they feel great.

they're 205/45 R16.

Does anybody else use this size or do you go for the 195/45 R16 version.

Did a quick search online and the prices non inclusive of fitting worked out at roughly:

£325 for the 205's

£250 for the 195's

Obviously quite a saving but is it worth it.

All opinions/advice appreciated.

Hugh.

Megane RS 250
The difference is not worth it! With the 195 you have a little bit less grip, but the car is more agile and faster in a straight line.

I'd go for different sizes than 195/45 only for semislicks or slicks, which aren't available in that size.

Octavia VRS
il have a read! gunna go an turn off the traction control an see wht the eagle f1 gsd are all about! back ina bit (i hope);)

Nissan 350z
Can a 172 fit 205s as well then like the 182 can without rubbing? Sorry to thread hi-jack.

182 FF Inferno
I went for 195's recently due to cost and, to be honest theres very little difference. If anything the car is a little more twitchy, not as planted but this could be down to the tyres rather then sizes (went from pe2's to toyo's) .

Octavia VRS
in the wet, keep the traction control if you dont want to meet the hedge!!!

i never realised how much difference it makes in the twisties! its sure saves tyres!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

i never realised how much difference it makes in the twisties! its sure saves tyres!
The 1*2's don't need TC. Mine doesn't have it.

Megane RS 250

You need traction control on a clio only if you use the throttle like a switch. The car is very predictable and with decent tyres doesn't slip too much on the wet.

Handbrakes turn on the other way...let's just say you need some sensibility on the mountain roads when it's slippery!

You should try my dad's car on the wet, that really needs TC.

Octavia VRS
You need traction control on a clio only if you use the throttle like a switch. The car is very predictable and with decent tyres doesn't slip too much on the wet.

Handbrakes turn on the other way...let's just say you need some sensibility on the mountain roads when it's slippery!

You should try my dad's car on the wet, that really needs TC.

What does he drive?

The 205's will roll around on the rim more than the 195's. The 195's will have stiffer sidewalls because of the stretch to get them on the rims. If you like a sharper turn in and more positive feedback, get the 195 everytime.

The clio group a cars ran a 195 tyre on a 7.25 wide rim to stretch the sidewall as much as possible to make as little flex in the rubber as possible.

You also wont lose grip as the tyre foot print is determined by the tyre pressure and the weight of the car, not the width of the tyres. The foot print will be the same on a 205 or a 195 tyre, its just the 195 footprint will be longer and thinner, whereas the 205 footprint will be shorter but wider. This will make the 195 a better wet weather option as it will produce less aquaplaning.

DMS

A thirsty 172
I had a set of 205 P Zero Nero's on my 172 and TBH I thought they were worse than the 195's I normally fit. Car does seem a lot more predictable on 195's and the wet weather grip is awesome on them.
As for traction control, I never used to use it when the car was normally aspirated, and now it's boosted it doesn't even work. WIN!