ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyres for everyday use on a cup

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Hi all.

This has probably been covered before but with new tyres coming out all the time I thought I'd make a new thread.

The cup currently has yokohama parada spec 2s on the front, I knew these weren't great before I bought them but they were a quick fix. They are shocking in the wet, even the slightest bit of rain and it will happily spin the wheels and it's quite hard to stop without locking up from a decent speed.

Which tyres would be good for all round grip, dry and wet and also offer good stopping grip?

I'm thinking about Michelines as my mate has them and says they're great in the wet.

Suggestions?

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Just done a wet track day at combe that had a dry track for one session at the end with sport contact 3's on. I won't be buying anything else from now on for the Cup in 195/45/16. Have used pilot sport 3's on a 182 in 205/45/16 and they were also really good wether the track was wet or dry. Renault made good choices with the original tyres for these cars and the tyres replacements down the years are good enough for me to honk around on.

Both tyres are great all rounders in my eyes.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I've put pilot sport 3s on the Laguna. Cannot believe how well they put the power down in the wet or dry. But then I'm a big Michelin fan. Might be more expensive but seem to last forever. Going to change them onto the Saab when I get it

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
How are the rain sports for dry grip? Not that it's dry very often!

Thanks for that Warwickstingray, that's the ones my mate has and says they're great so they are an option!

i got rs3 on my cup and the grip is amazing in the wet, pretty good in the dry but then when we have a rare bit of sun then they don't hold up to good.

clio 182 trophy
For the price the pirelli p zero nero gts were a great buy imo. Lasted forever and were a good allround tyre. The ps3's are slightly better but tbh not by much.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
So pilot sport 3s are the better option for everyday wet/dry driving then. I don't think I've heard of anything else that sounds as good tbh!

I could maybe get a set of 2 RS3s and 2 PS3s for front and rear and just change them about to get a feel for them I suppose

clio 182 trophy
So pilot sport 3s are the better option for everyday wet/dry driving then. I don't think I've heard of anything else that sounds as good tbh!

I could maybe get a set of 2 RS3s and 2 PS3s for front and rear and just change them about to get a feel for them I suppose
You could but be careful. The rs3's are a much better tyre in the rain than the michi's which would upset the cars handling. Personally i would go for the rainsports allround now as summer is coming to and end soon and go for the michi's once the winter has past, all in my opinion though.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Sounds like a better idea. I don't think the car will be getting used much this year coming anyway but these tyres are shocking and ruin the drive completely! Hard to enjoy it when it's damp.

Thanks everyone.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Ah I didn't even notice the first post about the pirellis until now. Can you push on in the wet with them without breaking traction quite easily?

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Did several wet track days on the pilot sport 3 and they were utterly predictable despite masses of standing water at the airfield day I did. Braking was spot on and traction was as good as I would expect having run dedicated rain and semi-slick track day tyres at sprints in the past.

The rain sports might be better in the wet but the PS3's are as I said a great all rounder.

To get much better than the PS3 in the wet you would have to compromise elsewhere.

I can't fault the Conti's or the Michelins wet or dry.

Had P zero neros on the 182 FF and wasn't disappointed.

To be honest any of the decent branded tyres are good enough. Some are marginally better in the dry and some in the wet.

With the way my cup performed today at combe on the CS3's I won't be going down the track day tyre route anytime soon. Yes track day tyres are faster but the road tyres are a predictable plateau on which to play.

With equal wear front and rear on the passenger side the chassis is working as it should on track as well and responding properly to my inputs. Impressed by wear too. I could kill them but wear is very good with good tidy driving.

Last edited:

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Thank you for the in - depth info buddy, appreciate it!
I'll just be using them on the road and back road blasts now and then and so I've decided to stay away from track tyres now after have 2 sets. Good when it's dry but utterly useless in the rain!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I find the RS3's fine in the dry - as a middle of the road tyre they're fine for all road use. Unless you're driving it at 10/10ths all of the time the Rainsports are good mate!

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
With this weather in this country recently the RS3's make a great case for themselves. If you don't try and peel your tyres off the rim at track days with tons of lock and a ton of throttle they'd probably do pretty well even there I would have thought like most good road tyres.

Unfortunately haven't run them myself to confirm.

M2 Comp
I have the PS3's and would definitely recommend them! The performance in the wet is unbelievable tbh.

I paid £85 a corner through Tyre Leader, that was for the 87W XL version too, which are the ones to go for apparently...

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Tyre leader
0c610af1b9036501fe20748a56825620.jpg

Camskill
d7b9d11aee879e9361ec1454011a2c0a.jpg

Mytyres
68f2cc1fcf5b3dd46573d0dae461c019.jpg

Many.
Another vote for the Rainsports. I recently put them on a couple of cars and was seriously impressed all round.