ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyres with rim protection

DanSej6

ClioSport Club Member
Currently running 195 45 Uniroyal RS3's on my Cup Turinis, not a bad tyre but they don't offer anything in the way of rim protection.
Not been an issue in the past as the wheels are battered anyway, but I'm planning on getting them refurbished soon and could do without the rim being so prominent. Any other tyres in that size we know of that do offer more protection for the rim, or is stepping up to 205's the best bet?

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
As above, ps3s. Expensive tyre but highly rated and have rim protection. My alloys are absolutely battered because I cant park!

SWL16

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
huh? what? Michelins don't have rim protection?

The Hankooks that came with my car did and seem to get good reviews on here.

DanSej6

ClioSport Club Member
just don't hit the kerb!!

Easier said than done sometimes. Plus the missus drives it, and she's awful with alloys. All 4 of her Mini wheels are fecked after 7 months.
With the current Uniroyals, the tyre isn't as wide as the rim, so the first point of contact is the rim itself

SWL16

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Blackcircles doesn't list the Michelins as having rim protection. (I would say they are correct.) Only tyres I've ever kerbed my wheels with! I have 205's.

The Hankooks definitely had more of an overhang.

PH2 172
Rainsports in 205 are better.
rainsport 3 in 205.jpg rainsport in 205.jpg

SWL16

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
To be fair, I stand corrected! Ps3s do seem to have decent sized ridge, didn't help me much! Top pic is the Hankook.
DSC_0007.JPG
DSC_0008.JPG