ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Unhappy with 182... but what to do!!!

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
Doesn't the 182 still have like 80% of it's torque available from 2500rpm?

It also has quite a bit more torque than the Williams....... strange.

I find the Clio 1*2 engine to be actually quite grunty for a 2.0 NA

a ctr has more torque than a williams too....but which has more grunt at 2-3k?

Clio 172 mk2
Its not about "no torque" its about its torque curve... and again its not "slow" its just the way you have to drive it to extract its power is not what i would expect compared to my old williams which would happily pull like a tractor from 2500rpm all the way to its limit, the 182 does sack all unitll the VVT kicks in and personally i find it a bit dull.

Also should you have the pleasure of driving a S2000 you would realise that its gearing is well designed to make up for its lack of grunt under the hood.

I have driven an S2000 extensively, and it has to be worked a site harder than a 182 to extract it's maximum. Have you driven any other 182s? Perhaps yours isn't 100% tip-top.

That's what I was thinking

How about a trip to a RR to see if it's down on power etc

Doesn't the 182 still have like 80% of it's torque available from 2500rpm?

It also has quite a bit more torque than the Williams....... strange.

I find the Clio 1*2 engine to be actually quite grunty for a 2.0 NA

Williams weighs f**k all though, so torque to weight is in it's favour and iirc it has over 90% available from 2500, so it gets on cam faster.

After going in Laura's Ph1 172 they have nothing low down and it's only when it comes on cam that you notice the power. One thing she commented on after driving mine was that it felt slower to drive as the power comes in straight away so the cam kick is less noticable... If you're not happy with it Bri just change it fella, there's loads of excellent cars about without even spending all your budget... Went out at the weekend and can confirm first hand that Toyota Celica GT4's (ST205) are absolutely amazing! Handled the Cat & Fiddle run better than my mates Scoobs (both new and old) and would rip them a new one on the straights... 310+bhp with bugger all mods.

Its not about "no torque" its about its torque curve... and again its not "slow" its just the way you have to drive it to extract its power is not what i would expect compared to my old williams which would happily pull like a tractor from 2500rpm all the way to its limit, the 182 does sack all unitll the VVT kicks in and personally i find it a bit dull.
VVT is nothing to do with top end power kick thats just the cams coming into efficiency.

Golf R32
TBH I admittingly was a little dissapointed to with the power of the 182, coming from a tuned Mk4 Golf GTi. As you said it does feel a little gutless when the revs are down and I find I have to drop down a gear to overtake more than I had to do with my old golf, but then round the twisties it is a lot more fun.

I had contemplated taking mine to get it dyno'd, but I let a couple of my mates have a drive, with me in the passenger seat, and they reckon it well quick, so I think I've just got used to it

sorry to bring this up again, but i know what bri means, ive had my 182 for a month now, and having a williams aswell i know what he means about the feel of lack of torque,

but i think its decieving tbh, the 182 does pick up well but when you hit 5k it goes nuts, were as the williams as soon as you hit 2500/3k it goes but its smooth all the way to the limiter, well mine is!

when blasting about its very easy to keep the car going quick tbh, i dont have a problem with that, can have alot of fun on back roads but i do think it could be abit more sure footed, which is why im looking into eiback sportlines etc

it dont feel the same as the williams but then it isnt the same car! and times change, but i do love both lol

oh if you wanna do a swap bri i have some mint std 182 seats which would go great in yours lol i can dispose of them nasty recaros ;-)

If its torque you want- you need a turbo.
Never gonna have "enough" torque in an NA...

M3 wise- the E36 is the better "drivers" car but the E46 is a nicer interior and in my opinion looks externally too.

You should pick up a good M3 for good 182 money.. and then you dont have to worry house hunting wise as you're no worse off- could even be better off if you look hard enough.

OR maybe a Focus RS - give it 6 months and if the prices dont stabilise I can see sensible cars at 9-10k. At the moment looking not very hard will get you circa 30k miles car for 12k.

In order to get the best from an NA you have to drive them to the limiter- its the only way to extract the best from them... so push a bit harder..

The other problem is modern cars- they're just not as good as old cars.. its all too electronic and eco friendly and emissions stiffled...

GOLF MK4 R32- erm its ok thanks.

Honda S2000- Yeh will have ome of that please....

Jake

Octy VRS
I've had my 182 for 3 years now from new and am very happy with it. I did run it in quite hard and I think that helped. Now it's hit 30K it really feels quick, even from low down it picks up well.

I do not like the esp though. Going round a tight corner with it on almost feels like your going to lose it. With it off it feels much more controlled.

A remap, filter and springs would certainly make it feel that bit better.

Peddled device
Has this thread been invaded by Corsa VXR owners slaging off the 182?

Now l wanna sell mine! ;)

Golf 7R
If your not impressed by the 182, the Mk4 R32 wont blow your socks of in terms of performance except more top end to play with ( speaking from experience) I think it may be a case of just getting use to the power. I often get bored with mine and think of selling up, but then just get some B road action and i fall in love again. Have you considered the 197 Hahahahahahaha

Last edited:
i feel the same about the 182s ive driven... mine included.

The low down grunt just isnt there. My Mk1 172 pulled much harder lower down, but that could be due to the number of miles (60k), and the exhaust and air filter.

My Mk1 172 was definately faster.

what can you say that hasn't already been said...if you don't like it...sell it! pound-for-pound, point-to-point, the 182 is as quick as anything else out there at the moment...if not quicker. i've had mine for nearly 3yrs now from new and still have not got board with it...i would consider changing it for a megane r26, but not a lot else really interests me for similar money.

Ford Racing Puma
Do what I did....

Move onto a Focus RS and never look back!!

Bigger, a lot quicker (certainly far more torque), very easy to tune, rare, quite stealthy, awesome grip (well, in the dry - in the wet WILL kill you)

I love it

F/F Titanium 182
If you think torque makes a car quick buy an oil burner! alternatively get in a 197 and then a 182 and enjoy that torquey feeling!! ;)

182cup & 172 racecar
Sound to me that its not right,cup standard suspension should be fine and shouldnt be unstable at all.The right tyres should make a difference as well

Williams 1
Somehting RWD maybe for a charge.

The Williams is the more fun car IMO going to a 182 whilst maybe quicker ins't as fune the Mk1 172 is the cloest to the Williams for fun and enjoyment.

is a 182 quicker than a willy? I cant see that, mine eats 182's 172's fiesta st's etc etc and is standard apart from exhaust and a heat soakin k&n which i want rid of

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6
what can you say that hasn't already been said...if you don't like it...sell it! pound-for-pound, point-to-point, the 182 is as quick as anything else out there at the moment...if not quicker. i've had mine for nearly 3yrs now from new and still have not got board with it...i would consider changing it for a megane r26, but not a lot else really interests me for similar money.

I agree.

Do what I did....

Move onto a Focus RS and never look back!!

Bigger, a lot quicker (certainly far more torque), very easy to tune, rare, quite stealthy, awesome grip (well, in the dry - in the wet WILL kill you)

I love it

yes lovely motors :) looked into these but stil very pricy :( for the money i could get something faster etc...

Clio 182 + Recaros
buy a second hand subaru. Looks like a brick but it will offer you sure footed performance.

cup 182 mit stripes
Just back from a blast on my Yam R1, all fly spotted and sweaty, by God all these 4 wheel cages are slow lol.

i would of bought a focus RS, my mate has one and its 270+bhp now drove it to france last year to! was brilliant lol

few reasons why i didnt egt one tho, 1 being the drive is to tight lol, i dont mind the 182 living on the front, didnt wanna leave a FRS sat there!

but im happy with the 182, goes well enough!

renault clio 172 2002
well ive got a 172 02 plate and to be honest im not even slightly excited by it its a nice little car good on fuel and a little fast but its deffo not a racing car the best thing about the car in my opinion is the noise the fastest car ive ever owned is an evo1v about 300bhp but the nippiest car ive ever owned was a sunny gtir on throttle bodies but 20 miles for a tenner was not to good but the 2 foot flames made up for it the scariest fast car ive ever owned was a fiat uno mk1 turbo 105bhp and it was made from bean cans the wings were so thin you could bend em with a sponge but at 125 mph it was very scary

V

v11ous

mate get a tt or s3 your have the build quillety and your be in german confort then thake it to amd and get a remap and a miltek exghust system and your be eating cars your torque will be around 280 pounds

Mountune Tractor
The only sensible thing you said in the original post was that the car felt unstable at high speed. It sounds to me as if you have bought a bad one.
Can I ask if you test drove the 182 before you bought it? If you did then why didn't you feel the same way then as you do now a few weeks on?
The clio is not a car produced for drag racing, put it up against most competitors in a 0-60 thrash and it will probably lose. The thing is that these cars were built to handle well and driven properly these things will out perform most in the twisties.
It is clear that you have made the wrong choice in buying a clio, my advice would be to buy something with a turbo.

?
To the OP... save your cash, swap it with my 1.2 8v (60hp) for a few weeks then sit back in your 182... youll fall in love with it.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
lol lack of low down torque, u need a shot of my 1.2 16v the full car judders unless you launch it at 3,000rpm lol thats a lack of torque.

it has the narrowest power band in the world, 4,000rpm till 5,500rpm!