ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Unimpressed by 182, what do you love about it?

Clio 172 Cup
Who did the timing belt last? If it was done improperly then you can lose quite a significant amount of power.

Were you driving a 182 Cup or the normal 182?
This !!! A good well cared for Clio will be good to drive against a dog of one which will feel shite. There are plenty of us on here with good cars and enjoy them. I would drive a few mate and possibly a 172 cup to feel a range

Clio 172 cup
This !!! A good well cared for Clio will be good to drive against a dog of one which will feel shite. There are plenty of us on here with good cars and enjoy them. I would drive a few mate and possibly a 172 cup to feel a range

agreed, i remember going to see a cup that chi had for sale a few years ago, took it for a test drive and before 5k it was like the brakes were on, it was just that slow.
Try a few more clios out and see what you think, although i think you might struggle to find a nice 172 cup under 2k

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
My 172 cup is a total track car, which is still road legal... I know what you mean by it's a bit Meh when tested on not ideal roads that dont bring out the beast in these little rockets.. On track my car keeps with most things, only cars that really should pass me get to pass me.. I get so much smiles for miles out of mine I cant tell you.. To the OP.. sounds like you really need to find one, then have a look around the area where you are viewing the car, and take it around some twisty b roads and you'll see why some of us really appreciate what these little rockets are all about...

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

My toy car is a Cayman R which is probably one of the best road chassis of any type and at any price that I’ve driven.

However I still fought like crazy to try and get my old original 182 back. Yeah I could have something much nicer to drive every day, but for me it’s still the most enjoyable hot hatch out there.

Old French box and I absolutely love it. 😅
it's comments like this that entice me to the car, you have a Porsche but you love driving the Clio 182.

As an alternative suggestion OP, a Celica T-Sport/190/VVTL-i is within your budget and is likely to be cheaper to run than the equivalent Honda, Audi or Renault.
Yeah they are in budget, I just don't like them. I might have a look at one but doubt I would want to own one.

I can’t fathom how someone can drive a 172/182 and not get out of it smiling ear to ear.

Smiles per mile... The best car on the used market.
I'm not sure either! I was really expecting to enjoy driving it but i felt it was a bit numb. The steering was very uninvolving, I'm not sure if that is partly down to the wheel, wouldnt think so though.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
They're old cars. Bound to feel a bit flimsy, unrefined and slow on the roads nowadays.

Get one on the track you'll love it.

As an alternative suggestion OP, a Celica T-Sport/190/VVTL-i is within your budget and is likely to be cheaper to run than the equivalent Honda, Audi or Renault.
Good shout, and will just be just as quick as a Clio. T-sport is a must though as most of the older 190's are dust these days. Had to scrap mine due to terminal rust.

Thanks. Had a look at some of the videos - I will look further into the octavia. Though it's still a bit big for my liking.
Your MR2 looks fantastic. Wish Toyota had sold them with that engine... though they wouldnt be a £1500 car now if that was the case :p

Rumours they'd offered Lotus the 2ZZ engine for the Elise so didn't fit one to the roadster as it would have reduced sales of the Lotus, lol.

As mentioned have a look at the Celica T-sport, cracking cars. Loved mine and why I went for a 2zz MR2.

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
Thanks. Had a look at some of the videos - I will look further into the octavia. Though it's still a bit big for my liking.
Your MR2 looks fantastic. Wish Toyota had sold them with that engine... though they wouldnt be a £1500 car now if that was the case :p

I will try to drive another. The test drive route wasn't great, just round a town then one straight 60mph road, that was it.
I'm not sure how cheap/expensive running costs would be on a TT but at least you dont have to pay £600 for a belt (i dont think!)

@massivewangers your last sentence is exactly the thing.. I do not need to fall in love with the car upon trying it as I'm sure it would grow on me and clearly, 90% of 182 owners love their cars to bits so it must be doing something right.
Puma are all very rusty I do believe, and being an ex-MX-5 owner, rust is my #1 red flag against buying a car.

I would like to say... I am not particularly drawn to the TT. The clio 182 was/is my "preferred" car prior to trying any of the cars - due to its simple, lightweight, nimble recipe.

Engine out for a clutch change I think though with the TT! If not I've heard its a big job.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not sure either! I was really expecting to enjoy driving it but i felt it was a bit numb. The steering was very uninvolving, I'm not sure if that is partly down to the wheel, wouldnt think so though.
If that clio hasn't had a belt change in 15 years I'd bet my right leg all the rubber bushes are original too. And no matter how low the mileage 15 year old rubber just isn't going to do the job right! Test drive some more and if you can find a private sale one with history and a caring owner, that will give you a better experience I think.

If that clio hasn't had a belt change in 15 years I'd bet my right leg all the rubber bushes are original too. And no matter how low the mileage 15 year old rubber just isn't going to do the job right! Test drive some more and if you can find a private sale one with history and a caring owner, that will give you a better experience I think.
I'll definitely buy from a private seller as I don't trust traders in the slightest and they charge more. But it's a lot easier to test drive at a trader as most private sellers don't allow test drives. Even though I do have fully comp insurance for anyone else's car.

Clio 172 Cup
I'll definitely buy from a private seller as I don't trust traders in the slightest and they charge more. But it's a lot easier to test drive at a trader as most private sellers don't allow test drives. Even though I do have fully comp insurance for anyone else's car.
Where are u from mate ? I have polysbushed the whole car replaced brakes suspension springs calipers had belts done some mods and a map at 190bhp ur welcome to have a go in mine and guaranteed it would change your opinion being in a well sorted Clio 👍

Clio182mike

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I love my 182 and it's the closest car I've found which is nearly as good as my old mini round the bends. Not quite as good though. Although when the power comes on it definitely gets going. It's a bit tame under 4k

Where are u from mate ? I have polysbushed the whole car replaced brakes suspension springs calipers had belts done some mods and a map at 190bhp ur welcome to have a go in mine and guaranteed it would change your opinion being in a well sorted Clio 👍
that is very kind of you. I am in Cambridge - if you are in wolverhampton then it's a bit far :p but thank you nonetheless.

Thanks to current events I have some time off work so I've got time to go look at other cars around. I'll test out at least one more so I know for sure how I feel about it.

Clio 172 Cup
that is very kind of you. I am in Cambridge - if you are in wolverhampton then it's a bit far :p but thank you nonetheless.

Thanks to current events I have some time off work so I've got time to go look at other cars around. I'll test out at least one more so I know for sure how I feel about it.
No problem mate I know social distancing is a thing but that’s a bit far lol good luck and keep us updated on how you get on. Bear in mind the lack of low down torque can be sorted with a decent remap which makes them more responsive at lower revs

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I have quite a few clios over the years. Few track based ones etc.

They were a great car back then but I would probably never go back to one (unless it was mint etc, which is very rare.)
In comparison to new stuff they will probably feel quite flat. But the newer story is boring.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
it's comments like this that entice me to the car, you have a Porsche but you love driving the Clio 182.

In addition to the above.
My Clio I now own for the second time. Bought originally at 8k miles and ran it for 4.5 years/84k Miles alongside my other car at the time. That particular car was a 575bhp impreza with all the bells and whistles.

I can hand on heart say I never had any less fun in my cup packed Clio 182 than I did with another 400bhp in the Impreza.

So much so that even after getting my Cayman R I basically bullied the guy I sold it to to sell it back to me. I too was worried about it being a rose tinted love affair and it wouldn’t be the same. However I have since refreshed all the key components of the car (dirt cheap to do so by the way) and it’s drives as tight as it always did.

Alongside the mid engine RWD Cayman the Clio is just as special to me and between them I’d say I’m in “Handling Nirvana” ❤️

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
basically echo on all the above, you need to drive the right one on the right road and you'll get it then.

I bought mine as a logical progression from mk1's when they became less available and not so reliable to daily. It was a stop gap car before I 'grew up'...…. that was 8 years nearly and 108k miles ago and I still daily the little blue heap and she gets to stretch her legs on track occasionally too when the mk1 isn't feeling up to it :)

cracking cars

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
@neil a has a Ferrari and a McLaren. Guess what his track car is....heavily modified mind lol

I dont have the track car anymore have a trophy road car now but to be honest ive bought that as much as an investment as to actually use, but it is still fun to drive something very analogue and not overly fast for on the road

The green car was a serious spec but for what i had in it , i could of bought a track spec E46 M3 and probably had a faster car.

For me the real plus for 182's is as a basic budget track car , mainly as parts to keep them running are fairly cheap and while not overly fast on track they are fun to drive, much like 106's and Saxos were years ago but now the parts and prices of them are on the way up.

Superwoman90

ClioSport Club Member
  Peugeot 207
Fully understand your comments.
I’ve owned 3 Impreza’s and did track days in two of them, however I have just as much fun on track days in my 182. Granted I would love to stick a turbo on it but I’m not willing to spend £1000’s on that pathway because of the enjoyment factor in its present state.
I try to work on improving my driving by pushing the car and trusting in the car.
Everyone bar none who jumps in for a passenger ride is impressed with the car and passes on their compliments for the experience. Too be honest after the last Impreza I’d given up on track days until I had a passenger ride in a stripped out 172, needless to say the rest is history 😁

Clio 182 cup
I felt the same with mine, so I put some decent tires on new top mounts and a few other things and the car was transformed. So I decided to have cambelt done and the guy from birch down said it wasn't timed properly and since its just a joy to drive, my girlfriend who hated it is looking for one now as a fun car

well I guess I ain't trying or buying one any time soon.... 😆

all these comments are very encouraging and useful guys, I appreciate the feedback about the car. Thanks.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
The other issue you have here are the very nature of the “test drive”. The route plays a huge part and let’s be honest, youll struggle to know a car within a 15 minute test drive anyway.

I had similar when my dad went to buy a Aston Martin Vantage Gen2.
Personally I adore the looks of them and was excited to drive it, I mean it’s a bloody Aston Martin!! However, spend 20 min in one and you’ll find everything you hate about it.

The engine and trans is mounted so far back that the gear knob lands not at your hand, but at your wrist. It’s uncomfortable and awkward to use.
The gearbox (manual) is very agricultural and cannot be hurried like you can in say a 911, so you have to drive it at it’s pace rather than yours. It’s only 430bhp and doesn’t actually feel that quick.
The handbrake is between you and the door and it’s down if it’s on or off. Lol
The dials are a mirror image of eachother and the Rev counter goes anti-clockwise and is incredibly unintuitive to use. Meanwhile the speedos 70mph marker is at only about 10% of the needles movement so totally useless lol.
That’s if you can see them behind the ugly old steering wheel.

They are so damn flawed it’s untrue!!!

To put it mildly i was a bit uninspired by it, but dad had always wanted one and it was a minter so decided to buy it anyway.

Some weeks later he gave it to me for a weekend and I could actually spend some time with it. It’s still achingly pretty and the V8 makes a wonderful noise. You drive around it’s flaws and start to get the car working for you. That engine mounted so far back means it’s got wonderful balance and you can really really play with it in the corners. The damping is soft and compliant but means you can get the chassis to pitch and yaw and move the weight exactly where you want it.
It’s still got its flaws no doubt, but having spent some time in it, it’s really one of those cars that gets under your skin.
You feel like James Bond in it and it really turns heads. It’s a wonderful GT car with bags of character that I would have otherwise overlooked on a 20 min test drive. If it wasn’t for the hideous servicing costs I’d be tempted myself.

Don’t think I’m saying a 15 year old Clio is the last word in the automobile, it really isn’t. But pedal a good one on a twisty road and you will be in a little bit of driving heaven and there’s good reason why even 15 years on, they’re still so respected.

I dont have the track car anymore have a trophy road car now but to be honest ive bought that as much as an investment as to actually use, but it is still fun to drive something very analogue and not overly fast for on the road

The green car was a serious spec but for what i had in it , i could of bought a track spec E46 M3 and probably had a faster car.

For me the real plus for 182's is as a basic budget track car , mainly as parts to keep them running are fairly cheap and while not overly fast on track they are fun to drive, much like 106's and Saxos were years ago but now the parts and prices of them are on the way up.

That's one of the things that appeals to me, being able to enjoy a car on track without worrying about it costing me a fortune.

The other issue you have here are the very nature of the “test drive”. The route plays a huge part and let’s be honest, youll struggle to know a car within a 15 minute test drive anyway.

I had similar when my dad went to buy a Aston Martin Vantage Gen2.
Personally I adore the looks of them and was excited to drive it, I mean it’s a bloody Aston Martin!! However, spend 20 min in one and you’ll find everything you hate about it.
It’s a wonderful GT car with bags of character that I would have otherwise overlooked on a 20 min test drive. If it wasn’t for the hideous servicing costs I’d be tempted myself.

Don’t think I’m saying a 15 year old Clio is the last word in the automobile, it really isn’t. But pedal a good one on a twisty road and you will be in a little bit of driving heaven and there’s good reason why even 15 years on, they’re still so respected.

I completely agree with you - you cannot get a good feel of a car in just 15 minutes. Which is why I have not discounted it, as I believe the scores of people who love their 182s outweighs my "meh" response to the test drive.

On a different note... how easy is it to sort out the driving position? Can it only be done by putting buckets in (and is that easy?).

Also, I found the pedal setup quite uncomfortable, do other people share this too?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Seating position and comfort is quite subjective. You might need to find a few owners and try their setup out.

Easiest option is a set of Recaro Treadlines, these were an optional upgrade in the car anyway.
If you don't like that it's bucket seats,

Ash J

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1 172
Definitely drive a few before making your mind up.

I had my first 182 about 5-6 years ago and I remember the test drive very well. Probably helped that the dealer let me go out in the car on my own, so I could put it through it's paces. It was also a lower mileage example, with new belts and new suspension etc so was about as good as one could be.

I have now owned 5 172/182's including the Trophy which I currently have. If you exclude the Trophy which are anything from £6-7k+, I seriously don't think you can have more fun on the roads at reasonably sensible speeds, for the money. I say exclude the Trophy, because you don't get £3-4k more compared to a well sorted Cup/Cup packed 182 in my opinion (had both), but the Trophy commands a premium for different reasons.

Yet to come across somebody who I have not been able to keep up with through the twisties in any of my 172/182's regardless of their machinery (granted, this is largely due to the person behind the wheel which is a completely different topic altogether).

I have owned several other cars between each of my 172/182's... highly modified M135i with circa 430hp, Alfa 147 GTA, Lotus Elise Club Racer and most recently a modified and track ready Megane 265 Trophy... yet somehow I still come back to a 182 everytime.

I don't know what it is about these cars that get under your skin.

Combination of factors I think... lightweight and nimble handling compared to most modern cars, cheap to run, servicing and parts are relatively cheap (aside from belts but this is once every 5 years; on the other hand a suspension refresh can be done for £500 max) and being naturally aspirated there is not a lot to go wrong with the engine either.

Currently I have my 182 Trophy as my toy, and a Golf TDI as the daily. Helps to remind me why I love the Clio so much after jumping out of the Golf (I appreciate the Golf isn't a comparable performance hatch).

I have a motorbike for my acceleration/speed fix.

I'm an absolute nightmare when it comes to keeping cars, I normally get bored very quickly and anybody that knows me will tell you I have a different car every 6 months. But I absolutely cannot see myself selling the Trophy.

I honestly think these cars make more sense today than they did 15 years ago, with increasing amount of traffic on our roads and lower speed limits. It seems almost normal to have a hatch with 300-400hp+ these days, but I don't care what anybody says, you cannot use that power on the roads (talking from experience with my M135i)... you need to be going at licence losing speeds to get any kind of thrill as they are so good at hiding speed. The beauty of these little Clio's is you can have a lot of fun at relatively moderate speed and you feel like you are going faster than you actually are!

They do have a few flaws as standard (what car doesn't!) which have already been mentioned above, but they are all easily rectified.

Go and drive a few more, and try to find one which is relatively sorted in the suspension department. Worn and tired bushes, track rods, dampers etc have a HUGE effect on the way these cars drive from my experience.

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
When i bought my 172 (unseen, off ebay) i thought I'd made a terrible mistake. It was rattly, on cheap lowering springs with a blowing exhaust and a massive cheap air filter. It's taken some work (new track rod ends, ARB bushes, engine mounts, some low mileage cup suspension, new top mounts, new rack bushes, wheel thumb grips and a new ABS sensor. And a new clutch and gearbox. Plus all fluids changed) and now it's such a fun car to throw about. I've had faster cars, a lot of better built cars but not many that's so much fun. At all speeds it just makes me smile.

Megane RS 265
Probably had some of the most fun in a car in my 182 and I've only owned it since November. The car it replaced was a 2013 Golf GTI PP. The driving position and the fact its a bit more tiresome on a longer trip are the only points I dislike and where I preferred my Golf. Apart from that, when I'm properly on it on a flowing B road flying up and down the gears, heel and toeing, getting the back end out, the Clio just trounces the Golf for enjoyment. I still find it class how you can get a car for such reasonable money and it can be so enjoyable.

That's one of the things that appeals to me, being able to enjoy a car on track without worrying about it costing me a fortune.

I completely agree with you - you cannot get a good feel of a car in just 15 minutes. Which is why I have not discounted it, as I believe the scores of people who love their 182s outweighs my "meh" response to the test drive.

On a different note... how easy is it to sort out the driving position? Can it only be done by putting buckets in (and is that easy?).

Also, I found the pedal setup quite uncomfortable, do other people share this too?

Yeah the pedals arnt great. What a few people have done including myself is put washer behind the throttle pedal to bring it more inline to the brake but they are all still too far to the right, some people bend them as well.
Ive taken the column surround out as well and my knees still hit the squib.

Its taken a 330m wheel with 90mm spacer and a bucket seat to get the seating position adequate, though on the look out for sabelt seat with a longer base to support my knees better now.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Probably had some of the most fun in a car in my 182 and I've only owned it since November. The car it replaced was a 2013 Golf GTI PP. The driving position and the fact its a bit more tiresome on a longer trip are the only points I dislike and where I preferred my Golf. Apart from that, when I'm properly on it on a flowing B road flying up and down the gears, heel and toeing, getting the back end out, the Clio just trounces the Golf for enjoyment. I still find it class how you can get a car for such reasonable money and it can be so enjoyable.

I was just the same. I ran a Golf 7R alongside my 172 Cup. Didn't use the Clio all that much but, when I did, it put a massive smile on my face. The Golf was a much nicer daily, but wasn't nearly on the same level as the Clio when it came to enjoyment.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
I've had 5 182's now, usually change for something that's suppose to be better and more grown up, etc. But miss the little Clio, so sell up and buy another.

I was a little disappointed with the test drive on my current 182, coming from a Z4 3.0i (but i even had this coming from a 200 bhp diesel Jetta a few years ago when i bought my second 182). But after a few days, i'd adjusted my driving a little to suit, and took it down a few good roads, and was happy i'd made the change.

I've had my RB 2 years come mid April, and have no plans on letting it go any time soon..... Admittedly I've been eyeing up either a mk1 mx5 or a daily 320d/cd to run along side it. Mx5 would be a project/fun car, keeping the Clio as a daily and more sensible setup.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182

Thankfully I'm only 5' 7" I think so the seat height is less of an issue for me, I have taken the spacers out under the bases to lose probably another 12mm

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
They’re a grower for sure.

Ive always had turbo cars (and have two imprezas alongside my 172) and the clio felt a bit broken when I first got it. It’s a totally different car though and they do go ok, just need to get used to the power delivery.

They are a great little package though and it’s one of those cars that get better the longer you have them. You may even find the seating position doesn’t seem odd after a while.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
This thread has made me want another one. Now.

Of all my cars I got rid of the 172 Cup is the one I'd buy back tomorrow, not the mk7 Fiesta ST, not the mk3 Focus RS, not the 2009 Clio 200, nope.

Genuinely, if my 172 Cup pulled up outside and the owner got out and asked if I wanted to buy it back, I'd blub like a girl.

My 182 will be coming out the garage after this isolation malarky, so if you find yourself in the Rushden / Northants area, I'll take you out.
I may well take you up on that offer. Not far from me and just near santa pod which is a frequent destination of mine.

Thankfully I'm only 5' 7" I think so the seat height is less of an issue for me, I have taken the spacers out under the bases to lose probably another 12mm
Is that easy to do?

This thread has made me want another one. Now.

Of all my cars I got rid of the 172 Cup is the one I'd buy back tomorrow, not the mk7 Fiesta ST, not the mk3 Focus RS, not the 2009 Clio 200, nope.

Genuinely, if my 172 Cup pulled up outside and the owner got out and asked if I wanted to buy it back, I'd blub like a girl.
How does it compare to the mk7 ST? As that's my current car that I'm getting rid of next month.