ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Unresponsive iPhone 4 Home button

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
i have had a similar problem over past few weeks. went in this morning to the MK store, was there literally about 6 minutes, and walked out with a brand new one. excellent :cool:

BMW F31
FYI took mine to bluewater today and they swapped it straight out, home button feels much more responsive as does the wake/sleep button.

Golf R/Leon FR
I had this problem with my phone, took it to Metro Centre store a few weeks ago, the guy couldn't get the home button to not work which is typical. But replaced it anyway. New phone has been spot on and the button is miles better. Great service.

Brian

ClioSport Admin
  LY 220 Trophy
I got mine replaced a couple of weeks ago, I did explain to the bloke that it was intimitant. Sure enough, it didn't do it when he tried so he gave me a choice of living with the occasional problem or have a new one. I thought about it for 4 seconds and took the new one - seems fine for now.

Mr2 Roadster
Mine does it to, will get a refub in a few months and eBay it just before the iPhone 5 comes out!

I've had this issue for the last few months, the button would take a few clicks, and would have a 'click' sound when pressed.

Well, I've fixed it tonight after reading a post in the Apple forums.

Alcohol.

Phone off, wet your finger with alcohol (vodka for me), and rub in a circular motion into the home button (pressing it up and down) for 1-2mins. Wipe dry, and switch on.

First thing I noticed, the 'click' sound had gone, and the button has worked flawlessly. Forums say it's due to dust under the button.

Try it.

1998 BMW e46 323i
I exchanged mine. Don't like sound of rubbing liquid into my phone tho?! I did try and 'calibrate' the home button before I had it replaced. Load of old tosh that was, IMO.

Got mine on launch day, so a couple of months out now :(

I'm not talking pouring liquid into the phone, probably less than a single drop of rain that hits it.

Well, it worked for me :)

God damn it.

That worked until this morning, now it's back to the usual 4-5 clicks until it responds :(

SQ5
Had this a couple of times, I seem to get the more annoying not being able to swipe and answer phone calls a fair bit,

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
had mine repleced a while back for this now my replacement unit has starting to do it.. and now its out of warrenty ... terrific lol

RB One Eight Two
Yup mine does it from time to time. Also the unlock slider sometimes gets stuck and will not slide. Annoying.

clio 182 black /gold
Mine is 3 weeks old and it does this sometimes. I will see how it goes on. I thought it might have been the screen protector over the button slightly. If it carries on i will go to the apple shop.

Mondeo ST220
Well I went to the Apple store today for my Genius appointment.

Couldn't remember exactly when I bought the phone, turned out it was 34 days out of warranty. They replaced it free of charge though. Very impressed.

If they hadn't replaced it, it would have been my own fault though, it's been unresponsive for months just that recently it has become almost unusable.

Thumbs up Apple!

^ That's a great outcome. Hmm, mine was a launch one, but I may try my luck too. 60+ days out now.

Polo GTi
^ That's a great outcome. Hmm, mine was a launch one, but I may try my luck too. 60+ days out now.

I got mine on release and tried last week, the first guy who saw to me with the iPad, said deffo replace, then when I go to the 2nd guy he says out of warranty, 130ish for a replacement, I said no thanks.

Im tempted to ring and complain once I have read a little into the sale of goods act, surely expect the phone to last a little over 12 months

1998 BMW e46 323i
^think these things are covered by luxury goods act, or something like that... The expectation is they last for more than the minimum required by law IIRC.

Polo GTi
Hmm im not sure to be honest.

Pisses me off really. When I had my 3G I had to have it replaced three times in warranty, love the phones but the build quality seems to be shite, won't stop me being a sucker for the next one though.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry for the bump but I still have a 3G and seen as o2 stopped the fast track I've got to wait a few months to get a 4s. But my 3G has a temperamental home button, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. I've had the phone about 21 months so I know I'm well out of warranty. What I was wondering is if I book in for an appointment at the Apple store do you think they would offer me a refurb/second hand iPhone 4 (at a price)? I know the best bet is to ring up and ask which I will tomorrow, I just wanted to see if anyone could help on here. Cheers, Ben

Last edited:
  Fiesta ST3
anyone had any joy in getting theres replaced? mine has been doing this for a while and i have finally got round to making a genius appointment for this saturday its still under warranty so what will they do with it?

Bumder With A Buffer
after taking one apart yesterday my diagnosis = poor design of components.

This is the internals of the home button...

iphone-4-home-button-flex-cable__65696.jpg

this is the button that overlays it....

iphone-4g-home-button-black.jpg

There are 3 issues. One the lugs on the side of the bottom picture start to flex after a while, thus not holding it in place properly (same buttons are used on the 3g and most ipod touches) this stops it making proper contact with the switch part on the ribbon type PCB.

2nd is the flex assembly/PCB itself, they are a pain to manufacture and quite temperamental unless you get the size of the copper (pre peg) correct. I imagine its something like 0.1mm pre peg on that and it wouldn't take much to have a dis'd off connection on one of the tracks. They use the same assemblies in the 3g and don't have "that many" issues, with this part mainly due to how its mounted. Its part of the screen on those. The 4 it stays in place on the board and the screen sits over it. Have seen a few where there is no continuity between tracks, and you can buy this as a "spare" part.

3rd the type of switch used they are known for failing on most iPhones. Switches like that type are always a weak point in any design.

There is no way it is "dust" the button is fully sealed and dust cannot get anywhere to stop the switch functioning.

182 Full of Fat
Didn't want to start a new thread....my iPad 2 has started doing this and it barely ever works now (had to enable gestures to get back to home screen). Only problem is that my screen is cracked, will they still replace it regardless of the screen?

Fiesta ST3
positive outcome they simply replaced the hand set after a lenghty wait to be seen, i arrived at 11.10 my appoitment was at 11.20 and i finally got seen at 12.00 :eek: meadow hall apple store is not a place to go on a saturday:nono:

CBR1000RR Fireblade
positive outcome they simply replaced the hand set after a lenghty wait to be seen, i arrived at 11.10 my appoitment was at 11.20 and i finally got seen at 12.00 :eek: meadow hall apple store is not a place to go on a saturday:nono:

I was in there the other night, they were half an hour behind with the appointments.