ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Update: Test Drove a 1.6 Dynamique S.

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
Well, what can I say? I was under the impression I was going to get a decent test drive, but apparently Renault are only insured for short distances, and believe me they were not kidding. My test drive wasn't more than 10 minutes.

Anyway, onto my opinions of it. Well, firstly I was impressed with the interior. It looks alot smarter and more modern than mine. In saying that though I was not at all inpressed with the seats. Yes they are comfy enough, but they are not like the sport seats I have in mine, therefore they don't have those nice little wings on the side for your legs nor the wings to snuggly hold your shoulders in place. Definitely not a plus point there. Also the seats have those annoying wind up things for you to adjust the abck reast where mine has an easy to use lever. Seems like a step backwards to me.

Now we come to driving it. Well firstly the gear change is nice and smooth, and the clutch it lovely, but it is seriously gutless compared to my 1.6. Even when I pulled away it felt like I would have to thrash the hell out of it if I needed to pull away quickly. I was definitely under the impression that a quick take off would not be an option in this thing. Although the Salesman took me down some very narrow bendy roads, I was able to open her up abit, but at 4k revs in 3rd gear she was like a slow wollowy old bucket. The body roll was quite alraming even at slow speed. The steering was ridiculously light and the car did not feel at all planted on the road. I kid you not, when I turned right off of East Street in Epsom onto Kiln Lane (back to Renault) I could have used one finger to turn the steering wheel. I got the feeling the front end could easily get away from you if you were not used to it.

Back at Renault the Salesman asked me what I thought of it and I honestly had to tell him I didn't like it one bit. He actually agreed the steering was a little light but he said it was much better on the 197. I told him I wasn't interested in the 197, if I had been interested in a sport I would have bought either a 172 or a 182. I think he was quite upset about that.

I said I would have liked to have taken the 1.6 on a better run, longer road with big roundabouts to see how she coped then. He said if I rang him during the week he could probably arrange the insurance so I could do just that. I might take him up on his offer if I am feeling a tad bored during the week.

Overall opinion. I honestly feel Renault have made a big mistake with this car. It no longer feels like the Clios we all know and love. It's heavy, slow and wollowy. I don't think I could have any sort of fun in this car at all. It honestly doesn't feel like a car I could put my trust in.

So there you go. I don't like it!

I am so glad I listened to reviews of this thing rather than going ahead and buying one just because it's a new Clio. Now that I have finally driven it I am even more glad I decided against it and it has definitely made me appreciate my car sooooo much more.

Long live my little 1.6! ;) :)

Last edited:
  Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
Too much ncap ballast and lard for me. Ditto how you found it.

Yep totally agree. There are other things I don't like about it, but I was prepared to overlook those until I drove it.

Being such a short arse , the fact the car is so much higher could be a problem. Once the tailgate is open I have to stand on my tip toes to reach it to close the darn thing. It also has a very tiny little electronic button covered with flimsy rubber/plastic stuff for a boot button. With my long nails I could see me putting them through it in no time at all. I also didn't like the fact that when the driver opens his door, the passenger door does not unlock automatically. The driver has to press the botton another two times to open the passenger door. This is apparently another safety feature, one I could well do without to be honest.

BMW M135i
The modus courtesy car I had at the start of the year was the same, with having to press the unlock button twice to unlock all doors. Don't quite follow why its needed really but i'm sure theres an idea somewhere.

BMW M135i
Its probably not that bad for cruising about, but its just not anything like a Mk2 really. They've improved alot but lost some, well quite a bit of the stuff that made the Mk2 good.

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
I think the idea behind the unlocking of the doors may be something to do with having the passenger door locked whilst stationary at traffic lights and stuff, without you having to lock all doors. Personally speaking I think it is unnecessary being as locking your door and the passenger door at the same time isn't exactly a inconvenience.

R20 CWH; Please do not be put off by my review. You may find that you like it and it will suit your needs. We all expect different things from our cars but unfortunately for me the new Clio just doesn't cut it. However you may find it an amazing little motor. Go along with an open mind and see what your opinions are.