ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Upgrade from my 182, 197 or others??

Hello all,

Looking to get a new car, so am seeking advice from people on here.

Looking at 197, Megane R26, Leon Cupra TFSI, Leon FR, Honda Civic Type R GT, all of them used motors.

Obviously varying ages and prices of vehicles, but wondering if anyone has any advice re the various cars. At the moment am thinking 197 might be too small, and Cupra and Type R might be expensive.

Cant find a decent priced R26 anywhere (from a trader cos will be part ex my 182) and not sure whether a Leon FR will be quick or sporty enough.

Dont fancy an Astra VXR or Focus ST.

Any advice would be appreciated!!

Nimbus Grey 197
i was in the same situation a couple of months back - ended up getting a 197 and absolutely love it.

It is a completely different car to the 182 and so much better in many many ways!

Best bet is to take one out for an intensive test drive, if its going to be your car - what does it matter what other people think!?!?!?

Put it this way, it was a very good decision that i made :) just be prepared for the lower mpg!

Golf GT TDI, IS220d
the new clio's are bigger then the previous model, i'd go for the R26 though

Yep I do fancy a R26 over all the others but cant find one. On Autotrader there are only 9 for sale and I only really want to go to about £12500. I can find all the others for this price but no R26's!!!

And I had forgot about Golf Gti, cheers Williams although again might struggle in my budget!!

The Civic will have a similar power delivery to the 197 i.e. all about revs. The Honda engine is far better though and spins around to 8400rpm without ever feeling even remotely laboured. It has similar grip and stability to the 197 too, although the 197 is more fun handling wise. Honda IMO has the best interior of any hatch out there.

In short, don't necessarily be put off by the seemingly bad reputation of the Civic. It's easily as quick as any 182/197, and is built a lot better. Ultimately less fun in the twisties, but IMO a very nice car. The GT is also well specified with dual climate, folding mirrors, cruise etc. I didn't find the ride any harsher than my 182 TBH, probably because although it IS very stiffly sprung, the build is solid and it's not crashy.

Golf GT TDI, IS220d
Have you tried pistonheads mate? I've seen quite a few good exmaples of R26 on there from £10500

Paul RN, it is an upgrade if its from my 04 182 with 56000 miles!!!! And just need something a bit bigger now Im getting older!!!!

Vectra SRi
And I had forgot about Golf Gti, cheers Williams although again might struggle in my budget!!

there's a 55 plate in sinclairs volkswagen up the road from me mate, red 3 door with the 18 inch chrome monzas, just under 28k on the clock and its 12995, could probably knock them down with the way fast cars are depreciating at the moment!

R

ross..

I hav test drove a 197 it was nice a lot better than me brother civic type r, but 197 did reaaly feel any better than mine. go for r26 get them for 10k now...

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
?

197 Clio MkIII is a world away in terms of build of the mkII. I actually drive mine with the radio off somethimes. Smooth revving up to near 8k and no rattles ftw!!!

Thanks for all the replies, but I notice no-one has mentioned either of the Leons? They are supposed to be quick as well and I think more affordable than the Civic or R26.
Anyone got any experience of the Leons??