ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Upgrading 172 to 182

Clio 172

Hi Guys,

Decided to trade up my red 172 for an arctic blue 182. The dealer cant get hold of one apparently because Renault have stopped production for the new clio :)cry:)

There are some racing blue 182s available with various specs, and also a black 182 with cup suspension pack.

My question is...

If I buy a 182 with the cup suspension pack, will the ride be much harder than my 172? Im concerned the car might be a bit jumpy at speed on uneven roads.

Also, what are your opinions of the racing blue colour, I cant make up my mind on it!

Its not a harsh ride in a cup packd car. Firmer and more composed than a 172 at speed but not harsh/jarring/unsettled IMO. I went from a phase2 172 to a cup packed 182 and im happy with the difference. There are lots of minor changes and although the performance difference is tiny, to drive it just feels a more complete car IMO.

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

Quote: Originally posted by aurora123 on 20 August 2005

Also, what are your opinions of the racing blue colour, I cant make up my mind on it!
Nooo, youre going from the best RS colour to the worst!

See whats the best price theyll do on a Trophy. Or find an arctic blue one w/cup pack

Racing blue looks very good in real life no picture ever seems to do it justice. Id go for black or titanium though, blue is a very common colour and thats not me.

The suspension set us very good possibly, more what I prefer than the trophy (to oversteary or would make me worry it would overstear than a 182).

VRS

ive only seen 1 other blue 1 round my area, black seems to be the most common, also there are hundreds of blacks for sale on autotrader, not sure y?

Elise/VX220/R26

Pointless changing. The genral opinion probably is that the new RS wont be as good, but thats frome people whove just shelled out 13 grand on an outgoing model. The new RS clio will be awsome, look what renault have learned over the generations of 172/182. The new RS clio will pick up where the trophy left off. And if thats supposed to be so good then surely the new RS will be too.

Quote: Originally posted by aurora123 on 22 August 2005

Is the general opinion that the new renaultsport clio wont be a patch on the 182?
The new car is superb. It will be better than Cuped 182s but Id think a softer less sporty ride than the Trophy.

VaVa

The 182 Cupped/Cup are an improvement over the 172, but not much. I considered the change, but after test driving one, and working out how much money it would cost, I decided it simply wasnt worth it. And I hate the cosmetic changes like the seatbelts, seats and headlight covers. And I dislike the standard exhausts on the 182. (modded ones look better)

The 182 I drove, which had Cup packs, was no quicker than my 172 (slower if anything, but had low mileage) and didnt feel a great deal different on the road. It was firmer, cornered flatter and turned in better, but was no better at damping out rough uneven surfaces, still snaked on the brakes and rattled like buggery.

Which was the kind of improvemment over the 172 I was looking for in a new car.

The 182 is a better car..... but not a few thousand pounds better imho...

[Edited by lagerlout1 on 22 August 2005 at 8:03pm]

Elise/VX220/R26

nah I tested a 182 when they first came out theres bugger all difference in the drive to a 172. The best reason for changing would just be for ^^^^ that colour