ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

upgrading brakes

i have a 1.4 rt and wanting to upgrade my front brakes to the ones off a 16v. Has anyone done this successfully? had to change anything else to improve braking?
have been told i may have to change the master cylinder and servo. thanks in advance

Pete

i changed to the 16V setup ages ago.

The calipers are a sraight swap....no probs there.

Just get a new set of discs and pads.

i did change the whole master cylinder and servo assembly becaseu i felt there was too much travel.

Once changed, much better, and you could apply more pressure. well worth the 40 quid on calipers!!

use either ferodo DS2000 or mintex 1144 pads, NOT EBC crap!

benr,

you know where i can order ferrodo pads online? am using the ebcs now and actually find them all and well...big improvement over standard pads but since you are recomending the ferrodos so hightly, could you please advise where i could lay my grubby hands on them?

alternatively, if i come to london, where could you suggest i pick em up?

appreciate your advice...

dunno where online....i dont really buy online.

rally design do mintex.

and i usually by my ferodos from merlin motorsports near castle coombe...bu ti pick them up, so no number. I will look it up for you.

madman, i dun know whether the valver calipers can fit my current 1.4L 16v though...possible?

benr, thanks for the help...i just want to try something different...if you could get me a number or preferably an email addy for merlin, then i would be able to get moving in the correct direction...thanks again!

The Tarox grooved and drilled 260mm discs for the o valver fir both the new 1.4/1.6 16v clios mk 2/3 No need to change the calpiers. The front discs on both cars are exactly the same. Front discs on a 172 are the same also.

tdl, many many thanks...i have been worried about the fitment and was hesitating about buying the rotors...now i can go about getting them...what is your opinions about them? any good?

FRST and 106 GTi

I have the full braking system (without abs) from a 16v.
If I remember, the 1.4lts use 238mm discs. 16v uses 258mm discs. The clips by so are diferente sizes. Must be changed.
As discs, a good choice is the ATE powerdisc. Pads you can go to ferodo racing ones. 2500 maybee.

Discs at rear... youll need the complete rear axle from the 16v.

also, you can go for the 5.1 dot oil.

BUTRE

does anyone know if the front discs from the 172 mk2 can be retro-fitted onto the same shape/look current 1.4L 16v clio? help please...thanks!

FRST and 106 GTi

man-chun, there is a error in my post, but aint about the 172hp discs cause I dont talk about them.

the 1.4lts RTi/S uses 238mm
the 1.8lts 16v uses 254mm

this numbers were given to me by an ATE agent

BUTRE

BMW 320d Sport

The discs on a 1.8 16v are 238mm at the rear, 259mm on the front. Rear at about 7or 8mm wide, front are ventilated 21mm wide.

Konahead

Speak to sean at prima - he got me my fron tarox discs and as nick has also just confirmed they are identical to the old 1.8 16V front discs in size and diameter etc - dont forget to replace your pads to the tarox upgrades!!

thanks a bunch tdl...will certainly look into changing at next available opportunity to the tarox brake components...much obliged!

Yo nick,

i have just ordered a pair of G88s (40 groove) from... autocare (i think thats what its called) in Basildon costing me £144 bucks + VAT.. to be honest with ya mate.. ive looked all over the place and tend to find not alot in prices, they seem the same everywhere...

Cant wait to fit them this Saturday! ive got a nice set of "ferodo DS2000s" to help them settle in!!!

the bloke i bought my pads from said G88s are the way forward, by far the dogs nuts and they look mental too!!!

what brake setup do you have at the moment nick? a nosedvalver has to stop at some point doesnt it? LOL