ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Upgrading rear drums to discs??

Renault Clio 1.6 16v
Okay guys I've got an 02 plate clio 1.6 16v Dynamique

Looking at upgrading the rear drum brakes to discs for a little bit of extra stopping power,

Can anyone tell me exactly what I'll need to do the job, ie parts and any special tools????

The idea is still in the pipeline at the moment but if its not going to be too much work then I may well get it done soon.

Thanks in advance for any help
Budj:cool:

Renault Clio 1.6 16v
nah its only a 1.6, no need for silly money on stopping power, if I had a CS then I might consider it, but not for this car:)

Valver
I think its quite an effort to be honest with you. plus the brake bias is about 70/30 front/rear so there really isn't any point getting discs on the back apart from the look. You'd be better off spending the money upgrading your front system as this is where the majority of breaking takes place.

1996 Valver
As Sami Said^^^^

No point.
But if you incist, speak to MATT BLACK I think the best way is a compleate reare axel replacement.

320d
Don't bother mate the rears do so little breaking you wouldn't notice the difference and its simply not worth the money for the conversion

If i were you i'd get some Brembo Max 259mm standard sized discs from gsfcarparts.com for the fronts and some ferado pads all for about £100 plus fitting

Turbos.
Yep, easiest is to just swap the whole beam. As has been said, you won't notice an improvement really, but it will look better at least.

BMW M135i
Looked into it briefly out of interest. Came to the conclusion quickly that its not worth the cost of a 172/182 rear axle (~£500) just for the look as theres no real braking benefit given by the discs over drums.
It should have come with them to begin with imo but thats another thing.

Renault Clio 1.6 16v
Cheers guys, wondered if it was gonna be more hastle that its worth, but hey it never hurts to ask!!

Have already got newish discs and mintex pads on the front, so I'm gonna go buy some mintex shoes for the rear and leave the drums

Thanks one and all :D :D :D

Normal brakes are more than fine for most people if you drive very hard on track there still fine only Bedford which is hard on brakes ever gave me trouble.

If you want to upgrade the brakes stock disk and DS2500 pads are more than enough you cna get 3000's but that overkill you'll have toruble using them and getting them to useable temps with just 100hp.

Rear axle is a straight fit Matt has brand new 182 ones in stock for £500 with calipers disk etc or second hand oens expect about £200.
Drums are more thn fine plus there loads cheaper the only issue is you can crack them a bit but it toook me 54k and they were still usuable for another 15k worth or wear on them.