ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Uprated lower engine mount

Welcome to the L4yer
Okay guys, I no this is probably the millionth thread on this subject but I would to get some feedback.

I have fitted a Powerflex lower engine mount from K-Tec for the 172/182. I can say there is considerably vibration at idle! However, I can live with this with the improved tightness the bushes give whilst on the move.

What are other peoples experiences of the uprated engine mount i.e. failure of other mounts, does the vibration die down after the bushes wear in a bit?

I have read nearly all the threads on this subject and the trusted people on the club say that it will wear out the other engines mounts quicker.

I have a mk2 172 with 38k on the clock. How soon should I consider changing the other engine mounts? How many are there, how much they cost and is it an easy DIY job? I am aware of the right hand engine mount and the one under the battery. I might have look tomorrow. To take the battery out which order do I disconnet the negative and positive terminals? Sorry for all the questions but I am worried about the damage the new lower engine mount could do. Any advice would be great, cheers guys.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Cross the bridge when you get there bud. The other mounts will wear more rapidly but not overnight.
Try tweak your OSF engine mount. Undo the four bolts, pry the engine back so the rubber touched the back of the mount and re-tighten.
I don't think vibration will reduce TBH.
If you want to disconnect the batter, take the +'ve off first but make sure you have the radio code.

Welcome to the L4yer
Cheers Len, I didn't think I would get a response until tomorrow. I still want to hear from other guys running the K-Tec mount and their experiences.

I had a new battery in January done at Renault. The radio did reset and Renault had to search their database to find my radio code because I didn't know what it was, I do now!;)

2001 172,VW Touran
I had k tecs yellow uprated bushes in mine for about a week. I sent them back because it never sorted the problem out because they where to soft.But i'm told by ktr the purple ones are much better.

Vectra 1.9 CDTi SRi 150
I have the Powerflex purple suspension & anti-roll bar bush kit and the uprated lower engine mount. There is vibration at idle but once rolling its gone. Engine feels sweet and smooth all the way through with no noticable vibration.

S2 106 GTI
Ah don't worrie about the vibrations mate! mine was doing it like mad!! but settled down now, still does it but not as much. but it feels much tighter when chaging gear quickly :) :)

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I have the Powerflex purple suspension & anti-roll bar bush kit and the uprated lower engine mount. There is vibration at idle but once rolling its gone. Engine feels sweet and smooth all the way through with no noticable vibration.

where did you get all that from.

TVR Cerbera
I got a purple one too, makes the steering wheel vibrate at idle! and it drones too, but i can't hear it over the exhaust! lol. but on the plus side the gear change is loads better and it seems quicker! dunno how just does

Daz

Welcome to the L4yer
Good to hear some positive feedback. I couldn't get the washer in on the small bush, did anyone else leave it out? Edde and Yozza say to stick with standard Renault bushes.

Welcome to the L4yer
I have still got some play in my box too (heh heh) gonna look at the engine mount under the battery. Some peeps hav had probs with that one too.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
i replaces mine a yr ago...Seems fine...But occasionally i get a rumble when it's under load.

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd
iv got the uprated mount on mine mate and so far so good!
bit vibration but its a nice feeling.
goes into gear everytime now lol

clio 172 mk2
ive got the bush kit on my car too vibration is noticeable but i dont really care to much about it in terms of wearing down the other bushes cant vouch for it cause havent seen any wear or tear i think it will shorten the other bushes life but not so considerable that ur pulling out ur hair to change bushes. gears do go in smoother and if ur talking about the box bush under the battery side i havent gotten any problems with the bush but u do need to tighten the two bolts from time to time mine got slack the other day and would stop knocking for s**t everytime i turn but fixed it today and its gone just a simple process of retightening.......note though the bushes did not cause this cause it has happened even before the poly in case ur wondering lol

There seems to be mixed reviews on this uprated mount which is available, just curious to know really has anybody seen or experienced failure of the other mounts due to having this uprated mount fitted? Have they been round long enough for this to happen yet?

Im having issues with my 182 at the mo, possible heat shield, engine mounts, not really sure but want to upgrade possibly???

would K-tec really sell this mount if it caused that much extra strain on the other mounts?

Also how bad really is the vibration that is mentioned?

Ta
Rob.

Welcome to the L4yer
I would say the vibration is quite bad at the mo, only had it fitted for a couple of days. Gonna live it for a while. The vibrations should die down once the bushes have settled in (altho the poly is pretty tough). In hine site it may have been better to replace all with stock items.

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172
I would say the vibration is quite bad at the mo, only had it fitted for a couple of days. Gonna live it for a while. The vibrations should die down once the bushes have settled in (altho the poly is pretty tough). In hine site it may have been better to replace all with stock items.

Dont worry about the vibrations as its because there is no longer any movement. About a year ago i changed over the bushes in the dogs mount for the uprated k-tec ones.
In my opinion they are worth their weight in gold. I found before i was going through engine mounts every few months.
I did find a massive difference when i swappped them mainly the vibration your speaking of but i believe its normal.

Vectra 1.9 CDTi SRi 150
All came from K-tec. Some say not the cheapest but excellent service allround so far:)

Always had good service from david...

Fure up a pic of your bay...looks tasty!

Heres a link to my engine bay....

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=213487

Got cover on now and finished off a few other bits today...

73.gif

75.gif

Hoping to get engine cover re-painted in Iceberg Silver to match exterior.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
ive got the K-Tec/Powerflex uprated lower bushes with a 172 gearbox mount on mine, its solid feels so much better, top drivers side mount could do with being replaced now but its done 140k (10k on uprated mount)

also got Powerflex Anti Roll Bar bushes and lower Suspension arm bushes! aswell as Powerflex uprated exhaust mounts :)