ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

urgent - 182 rear brake pad changing

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
im in the middle of changing the rear pads on my 182

i cant get the caliper off help??

do i need ot take the hand brake cable off???

181220071002.jpg

181220071003.jpg

Disco 3 &4 1993 mini
all you need to do is unbolt the two 17mm bolts at the back and persuade the caliper off then once pads are out wind the piston back in

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
ive done the front brake pads!!!!

ah right thats cool, didnt want to give advice to someone who hasnt done anything before and have them do it wrong, then i get blamed for giving them advice :eek:

surely you can change them with the caliper in situ like on the mk1's? take metal clips off, and the little one on the metal bar at the bottom, get a punch and knock the metal bar out, pads should slide out. wind piston back, new pads in, copper grease it up, refit bar and clips. that is unless the 182 are different (never worked on one, just going off the pics and experience with other brakes :eek: )

ive just taken a look at the pic again, i think i can see what you've done, you have taken the 2 main caliper bolts out and tried getting the whole caliper off (hence why the pads are hanging over the edge of the disc)

you wont do it that way with brake pipe and handbrake still on

do it as i said before, loads easier :D

(LeeP86 is talking about taking the carrier off, not the whole caliper as you have done)

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
ok ok ok

i had taken the two bolts out, im not stupid LOL

but i couldnt get the whole caliper off the disk? seemed like the hand brake cable needed to be removed

Disco 3 &4 1993 mini
you can change them in situe but its a awful lot easier to take the two 17s out and leave handbrake gubbins in place.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
sorry i think i got it wrong.

i need to remove the two red bolts not the to green ones??

181220071002-1.jpg

you can change them in situe but its a awful lot easier to take the two 17s out and leave handbrake gubbins in place.

(handbrake stays as is when doing it in situ, or have i read what you're saying wrong?)

i would have said in situ was the easiest way but everyone does it their own way :)

edit - yes 2 red bolts, or leave them in and do it as it is (in situ), up to you :D

Disco 3 &4 1993 mini

(handbrake stays as is when doing it in situ, or have i read what you're saying wrong?)

i would have said in situ was the easiest way but everyone does it their own way :)

edit - yes 2 red bolts, or leave them in and do it as it is (in situ), up to you :D

yea i no what you mean mate but i was thinking if you undid the red ones there alot less fiddling and less is under stress a tension.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
ah that makes sence.

i was trying to take the green ones out and take the whole calier off the disc like you do on the front.

cheers guys

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
I didn't need to undo any bolts.
Just remove the clip at bottom of pads and with a punch remove the l shape bracket.
Pads fall out then replace, after winding the piston back in.

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.

ah right thats cool, didnt want to give advice to someone who hasnt done anything before and have them do it wrong, then i get blamed for giving them advice :eek:

surely you can change them with the caliper in situ like on the mk1's? take metal clips off, and the little one on the metal bar at the bottom, get a punch and knock the metal bar out, pads should slide out. wind piston back, new pads in, copper grease it up, refit bar and clips. that is unless the 182 are different (never worked on one, just going off the pics and experience with other brakes :eek: )

Thats the way i done it 20 min job (each side)

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

im seriously screwed!!!!!!!!!

ive been trying to 2 solid hour to get the piston back in so i can screw the pads in. how the f**k do i get the piston in, it wasnt this hard on the front pads

this is all you need to do
there should be a groove cut in the rim of the piston which you can lay a screw driver across and wind the piston back in to the caliper