ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

URGENT!!! CAR WONT START - NO TICK OVER!!!!!

Clio 1.4 RT V-reg
Hi there,

I have a clio v-reg 2000 1.4

This morning i went to start my car and it started to tick over but then stopped. My first thinking was that it was the battery that was flat. I then got some jump leads and jumped it but it still wouldn't start - just ticking over. I then charged up the battery to 100% and tried the next day. However this time there was nothing, just ticking noises from the battery like it was sparking noises just no sparks.

I then called the recovery guy and he said it was the starter motor that was gone. he then tried to roll the car and start it and it didn't even jump or anything. It is now sat on my drive and i want to see what it is. Is it the starter motor? or could it be the immobilizer?

Please if you have an idea what it could be tell me, because don't want to waste money fixing things that doesn't need to be fixed.

When you say it wasnt starting this morning how did it "just ticking over" did it tick over but not rev?

Check you have fuel and a spark? Give the car a proper bump start then see what happens if you have fuel spark and a bump start it should start

Clio 1.4 RT V-reg
Right at the moment when you turn the key you dont hear anything or feel anything, but the rev counter goes up and down? Then if u put your head at the bonnet, you will hear a noise that sounds like tapping or sparking coming from the battery. At the end of the day everyone told me its the starter motor but im not too sure yet (dont want to waste money). There s**t loads of fuel and spark plugs are new. Also, what happens when the immobilizer is enabled? could it be that? ( i turned the immobilizer off btw)

If the car jump starts then it will be the starter, hit it with a hammer if jump starting works can shock them sometimes to work. Don't hit it if a jump start doesn't work though.

Never mind the spark plugs do you have a spark?

How did your turn the imobiliers off?

S'trollin on size 7s
It wont be your starter motor i wouldnt of thought. it would bump start it otherwise. It sounds like could be your immobiliser tbh. when you turn your ignition on do you have a red light in the middle of your dash? .if so does it go off or stay flashing constantly? If its the second option then your immobiliser is at fault.

Clio 1.4 RT V-reg
Hi there, the car wont bump start or jump start. When i turn the ignition the lights come on then they go off to say its all ok, but u can hear a ticking noise (theres no sparks i was using tht noise as an example). Im going to have to remove the starter motor this weekend so is there any tutorials on here of that? because the starter motor is at the back and bottom on the engine????

Clio 1.4 RT V-reg
Hey guys rite I've got the starter motor off but wen I'm puttin it back in I'm havin a problem is there in tutorials because it won't go in properly does it like twist in or something need urgent advice.....

PH1 172, E39
I'm having a similar problem with the wife's Renault Megane Classic. On some mornings, it will start normal. On other morning, you have to turn that key like 20 times before you get a start.
It is not battery and we have not ruled out the starter as yet. We were looking at the immobiliser and that ring where the key goes into. When you turn, you get the normal lights to come on on the dashboard, you can also hear the fuel pump engaging and the other normal sounds coming from the box by the relays area.
We are still troubleshooting to see what happened though. As I told my mechanic, this only start to happen after he interfered with the steering wheel section to change the wipers.

I'm having a similar problem with the wife's Renault Megane Classic. On some mornings, it will start normal. On other morning, you have to turn that key like 20 times before you get a start.
It is not battery and we have not ruled out the starter as yet. We were looking at the immobiliser and that ring where the key goes into. When you turn, you get the normal lights to come on on the dashboard, you can also hear the fuel pump engaging and the other normal sounds coming from the box by the relays area.
We are still troubleshooting to see what happened though. As I told my mechanic, this only start to happen after he interfered with the steering wheel section to change the wipers.
Is the imobilisetr light going out?

Clio 1.4 RT V-reg
help please...... put in new starter motor but still nothing, nothing is even ticking now just a few ticks then nothing? tried to bump start and it just wont! battery have 13.3v so cant be battery(all lights come on like normal)? helppppppppppp