ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

URGENT for MOT RETEST! - Rear foglight failure!

* admin please leave in general forum for a few hours if possible.

Need help urgently for MOT retest please!
It would be a shame to lose a days wage if I can't sort this problem in time. Fast running out of time to order parts / get them fitted.

I failed on:

a) Rear foglight does not come on
b) Monitor light doesn't show up in dash

Clio mk1 vs 2, 1.2L, 1996. I've tried replacing the rear bulb. Nothing :(

Please help with any of the following questions if able:

1. Is the rear fog a #382 12v 21w bulb like the others in the cluster?

2. Does the rear use a relay like a front fog, or a standard car fuse? Why?

3. Is the monitor light in the dash likely to come on even if the rear fog light isn't working?

4. If rear bulb & relay/fuse is replaced and still doesn't work, what should I look at next?

5. How easy is it to replace monitor bulbs behind dash? How much are they and what do I 'Google' for?

Last edited:
As a thought, is it not the case that things only have to work properly if they're there?

If so, remove the switch and remove the bulb lol

Black 182
Open the passenger door and on the end of the dash board is a fuse box , take of the cover and on the inside of the cover is list of the fuses and where they are in the fuse box.
look for the rear fog light fuse and check it .

HTH

As a thought, is it not the case that things only have to work properly if they're there?

If so, remove the switch and remove the bulb lol

If that were true, then fine I'd do that this minute. But as you say, 'just a thought'. Can a qualified MOT tester confirm one way or another? Personally, I highly suspect that a working near side fog is vital, but am surprised about the fail re. the monitor light (or whatever its called?)

Last edited:
Open the passenger door and on the end of the dash board is a fuse box , take of the cover and on the inside of the cover is list of the fuses and where they are in the fuse box.
look for the rear fog light fuse and check it .

HTH

I'm no mechanic, but I've tried this for sure! Checked Haynes and 'foglights' are on a relay. But not sure if this for front, rear or both. Also not sure where to get a replacement relay to try, or how universal they are (off the Halfords shelf, suits most manufacturers or harder to get manufacturer /model specific)?

rear fog is an mot requirement
fuse is the only thing i can think of connected to the light on dash AND the rear fog light

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
get a volt meter and test teh connections, may just be a corroded wire, clean the contacts with a wire brush / wire wool, or just solder the damn wire onto the bulb. not sure about the dash thing, didnt' think a mk1 had the fog light in teh instument pannel, or maybe its just a faulty switch, if its one where the switch lights up

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
yeah i am sure your year of car just has the push button that lights up for the fog lights doesnt it ? id buy a new switch

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
33 mins left

862c_1.jpg

s.gif

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Renault-Clio-...ryZ10410QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The switch lights up, but unsure if this means that all other wires going to the back of the switch (to do the job) are likely to be okay? Light could be a simpler connection?

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
yeah in that case the fuses are ok, so jsut go fiddle with the rear light cluster, unbolt it, and just keep fiddlign with the bulb and wires will it comes on

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
failing that get some speaker wire and re-wire it, back tot he switch tehn once you passed the mot remove the speaker wire and leave it broken

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
GabrielKnight;36800263. Is the monitor light in the dash likely to come on even if the rear fog light isn't working?[/quote said:
you wont' have a fog light in the dash, as the switch lights up !!

Damn, missed that one by searching for foglight as one word. Have secured one from another seller who has agreed to post 1st thing tomorrow, recorded (albeit £1 more!)

Now have switch and bulb (assuming its a #382), but still not holding out much hope because bulbs have already been switched to no avail and switch looks in v good condition.

Trying to get info now on what to do if new bulb and switch don't work.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Gabriel I have moved this to the right section but left a redirect in the main forum, try PM'ing some-one like Edde or another tech to see if they can help you

Thanks kneel,

GabrielKnight;36800263. Is the monitor light in the dash likely to come on even if the rear fog light isn't working?[/quote said:

<considering ........

But why did they fail me on official paperwork if there is no facility?

Will have to check dash in morning when wizard of oz style winds die down outside (NorthEast).

Mk1 owners, please post whether you have rear fog monitor light on dash.

MOT testers please confirm if you need ... telltale light (now found the correct term on the fail certificate) if you do / don't already have it on your dash.

Last edited:
  Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
look in the log book, to see what it says about the dash, is should be simple to run some speaker wire fom the switch to the bulb at the back, as a temporary fix. then call vosa and complain that they failed it on that, then they will come and re-inspect the car free of charge, and if you fix the rear fog light you will have a free mot

Mk1 Maxim Sport
Thanks kneel,

<considering ........

But why did they fail me on official paperwork if there is no facility?

Will have to check dash in morning when wizard of oz style winds die down outside (NorthEast).

Mk1 owners, please post whether you have rear fog monitor light on dash.

MOT testers please confirm if you need ... telltale light (now found the correct term on the fail certificate) if you do / don't already have it on your dash.

Ye iv got had 2 mk1's and both had a monitor light and the switch lit up aswel. id check the fuse to be honest with ya mate, cant think of out else

Fixed! Thanks guys. Needed a new switch, clean out of water in light unit (where did that come from?!) and a clean of contacts. To answer my own questions from first post:

1. Is the rear fog a #382 12v 21w bulb like the others in the cluster?

Yes

2. Does the rear use a relay like a front fog, or a standard car fuse? Why?

It uses a standard fuse. Front uses relay.

3. Is the monitor light in the dash likely to come on even if the rear fog light isn't working?

No. It needs the rear light to be working

4. If rear bulb & relay/fuse is replaced and still doesn't work, what should I look at next?

The switch. This looked and felt 100% to work fine, but it wasn't making a contact.

5. How easy is it to replace monitor bulbs behind dash? How much are they and what do I 'Google' for?

Didn't need to know this in the end, but would still be interested to find out.

Da

Less
For reference, the illumination on the fog switch comes on as with any other switch - they illuminate when switched on in conjunction with the sidelights :)

As you correctly state, the dash display indicates the function of the switch.